• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tribute bands

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Not everyone likes them, some can't even stomach the IDEA at all, and there are some pretty awful tribute bands out there, and some that are sublime.
I'll start off with my cousin John, who is the front man for "MY BLUE SKY", the only Allman Brothers tribute band to ever get both a blessing AND an onstage jam WITH one of the Allman Brothers.
Gregg Allman shocked the house by doing just that.

Here's a promo:

My other favorite is "Guns4Roses", a GNR tribute band based out of Dallas.
I got to film their first outing with "Welcome to the Jungle" in 2008.

Anybody out there have a favorite tribute band that they think does a fine job?

The Rutles obviously top the list from the pastiche pov, but the Bootleg Beatles to a fair mimicry.

Good lord this would be decades ago, but back east, Nursery Cryme did decent Genesis covers.

My little blues band up in Minneapolis opened for Hendrix impersonator Randy Hansen back in 1980.
I have to admit, he was impressive even back then, and apparently he's still going strong.

Tributosaurus in Chicago is the absolute best. A different band each month, performed by incredibly talented studio musicians.

I’ve seen them do The Clash, The Band, Led Zepplin, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, and so many more… always good, often great.

Dark Star Orchestra is good, they recreate entire Grateful Dead concerts, and they are damned good.

I like the whole Arnel Pineda story... he was singing with a cover band called The Zoo in the Phillippines. He did the classic Journey songs so well that the actual band hired him as their new lead singer after they found him on Youtube.

I don't know if they're any good, but my favorite NAME for a tribute band is "The Faux Fighters."

I saw these guys at an international conference in London last century I think they still tour.

Their cover of Steely Dan's My Old School is breathtaking.

Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4. I think even Terry Kath would approve.

Last edited:
Good lord this would be decades ago, but back east, Nursery Cryme did decent Genesis covers.

Honestly never heard of a tribute band called "Nursery Cryme."

I know it was Genesis' 3rd album title however?

The two "Tribute Bands" I can offer are both bands who became really famous in their own right - not really truly "tribute bands" but heavily inspired / influenced by

Beatles - Oasis became absolutely huge in the UK in the 90's.

Genesis - Marillion but only when Fish was the writer / lead singer.

There are very few recordings of Marillion covering Genesis but this is definitely very "Peter Gabriel Genesis" below.

Back
Top Bottom