• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trial of Dr. Hasan/Fort Hood begins

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The trial began yesterday. I think that what Dr. Hasan said confirms that this is not only a "workplace violence" crime, but also an act of terrorism. Hasan acknowledged being the shooter, but "His only utterance of regret was an acknowledgement that he was among 'imperfect Muslims trying to establish the perfect religion.'” Prosecutors: Fort Hood gunman spared civilians, planned carefully for attack on fellow troops - The Washington Post

Trial of Nidal Hasan, suspect in 2009 Fort Hood shooting, begins today - The Washington Post

The trial began yesterday. I think that what Dr. Hasan said confirms that this is not only a "workplace violence" crime, but also an act of terrorism. Hasan acknowledged being the shooter, but "His only utterance of regret was an acknowledgement that he was among 'imperfect Muslims trying to establish the perfect religion.'” Prosecutors: Fort Hood gunman spared civilians, planned carefully for attack on fellow troops - The Washington Post

I would agree that this is not workplace violence. His intent was a terrorist attack.

If anything good comes from this, they can use his own testimony for the victims and the victims families to gain veteran benefits denied to them.

I would agree that this is not workplace violence. His intent was a terrorist attack.

If anything good comes from this, they can use his own testimony for the victims and the victims families to gain veteran benefits denied to them.

my thoughts exactly

Technically, I think it was workplace violence. It was Dr. Hasan's workplace. It's just that it was also an act of terrorism. I've read that this is a "show" trial but am not sure about that. What I am sure about is that it's taken nearly four years for this trial to begin, with delays over Hasan's beard and so on.

Technically, I think it was workplace violence. It was Dr. Hasan's workplace. It's just that it was also an act of terrorism. I've read that this is a "show" trial but am not sure about that. What I am sure about is that it's taken nearly four years for this trial to begin, with delays over Hasan's beard and so on.

and this POS has been drawing his full military pay the entire time. WHEN he is found guilty, he should have to pay back every dime +interest.

The fact that he is representing himself means he can cross examine his victims testimony. That should be a concern

The fact that he is representing himself means he can cross examine his victims testimony. That should be a concern

This is a military trial, I don't know if he can do that directly.

It just pisses me off about all the extra money it is going to cost to keep this POS alive in prison. sadly, they just can't throw him into general pop. he's going to have to be isolated in solitary just to keep the other inmates from beating his sorry ass to death.

This whole thing is procedurally absurd.

He admits to killing them, the witnesses all saw him do it, there's nothing even at dispute here.

The only reason he wouldn't deserve execution is if he were completely insane - but if he's completely insane, then he can't represent himself in a trial...

And this is supposed to go on for months? Yeesh.

Trial of Nidal Hasan, suspect in 2009 Fort Hood shooting, begins today - The Washington Post

I am not going to call him Doctor - the moment a "doctor" murders people I really don't label him with such an honor.

Hasan . . . he doesn't even get a Mr. He's just Hasan - the ****ing psychotic loser. . . and they're giving into his want to harass and torture people by permitting him to represent himself. I swear - I never thought I'd see the day when that right would look like a bad idea. I always thought that was applied to lesser situations, not when you're the murderer.

This whole thing is procedurally absurd.

He admits to killing them, the witnesses all saw him do it, there's nothing even at dispute here.

The only reason he wouldn't deserve execution is if he were completely insane - but if he's completely insane, then he can't represent himself in a trial...

And this is supposed to go on for months? Yeesh.

why oh why didn't the MPs just put a cap in his ass?

why oh why didn't the MPs just put a cap in his ass?

Well, they did shoot him. He's paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

So technically, they got him in the spine, not the ass. Insofar as why they didn't get a kill shot in before he was incapacitated - eh, tactically you take what you can get and what they did worked.

Once he is incapacitated, you can't just shoot him in the head or you let the monster turn you into a monster. We don't have Judge Dredd and we don't want him - we have trials before we have executions.

Well, they did shoot him. He's paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

So technically, they got him in the spine, not the ass. Insofar as why they didn't get a kill shot in before he was incapacitated - eh, tactically you take what you can get and what they did worked.

Once he is incapacitated, you can't just shoot him in the head or you let the monster turn you into a monster. We don't have Judge Dredd and we don't want him - we have trials before we have executions.

meh, in cases like this where the murderer is caught in the act....I'd be willing to make an exception.

It just pisses me off about all the extra money it is going to cost to keep this POS alive in prison. sadly, they just can't throw him into general pop. he's going to have to be isolated in solitary just to keep the other inmates from beating his sorry ass to death.

It's worth every penny to me to keep him alive. And I hope that he has a very long life.

It's worth every penny to me to keep him alive. And I hope that he has a very long life.

His only defense against the death penalty charge is that "I am a Muslim, ergo, I was justified to kill these people" and he's actually using that in court. His execution is a foregone conclusion at this point.

I am pretty much in limbo on the appropriateness of that outcome.

HOWEVER, I will say this; if the only reason we're having this trial is so that we can execute him, when no one, even him denies that he killed all those people, then I'd rather not have the trial and just have him in military prison for life.

What I understand is that he was not allowed to plead guilty, the trial is automatic and a plea of not guilty is automatic. This just seems like a waste of time and we're actually going to have this guy cross-examine victims and families of people he shot dead? Ugh.

Last edited:

Attacking strictly military targets is not terrorism.

Hasan wants the death penalty. This is reason enough not to give it to him, IMO.

From Reuters:

A U.S. Army psychiatrist who admitted shooting dozens of soldiers at a Texas base wants the death penalty, according to his standby defense lawyers, who refuse to help him die and want the judge to reduce their role in his court-martial. Lawyer says Fort Hood shooter wants death penalty | Reuters

Back
Top Bottom