• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Treasury plans to lift sanctions on Russian aluminum giant Rusal

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Washington (CNN Business)The Trump administration on Wednesday notified Congress of its plans to lift sanctions on two Russian firms, including Rusal, the world's second-largest aluminum producer.

The Treasury Department said that Rusal and EN+ Group, the company that holds Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska's stake in the Russian aluminum giant, and GAZ Group, a Russian automotive conglomerate, had made "significant restructuring and corporate governance changes" to allow them to meet the criteria to be delisted within the next 30 days.

Deripaska was sanctioned earlier this year as part of a wider effort by the Trump administration to punish the Kremlin over interference in the 2016 election.

Deripaska, who had a longstanding business relationship with former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, faces claims from Treasury of bribery, extortion, racketeering, ordering the murder of a rival businessman and having links to organized crime. In statements provided to London High Court, Deripaska has denied the "alleged basis" of US sanctions.

Source: (CNN Politico) Treasury plans to lift sanctions on Russian aluminum giant Rusal

Fresh on the heels of Trump's withdrawing the troops from Syria, we see this.

Oleg Vladimir Depreska, besides sharing a given-name with Putin, appears to be one of his puppet oligarchs. The company in the article, Rusal, is owned by him (Depreska). Well, except now he has reduced his ownership (on paper) to 49.5%. And Trump (via the Treasury) has summarily removed the sanctions imposed by Congress.

This is another big win for Putin. The question I have, is:

"Is it warranted?"

Source: (CNN Politico) Treasury plans to lift sanctions on Russian aluminum giant Rusal

Oleg Vladimir Depreska, besides sharing a given-name with Putin, appears to be one of his puppet oligarchs. The company in the article, Rusal, is owned by him (Depreska). Well, except now he has reduced his ownership (on paper) to 49.5%. And Trump (via the Treasury) has summarily removed the sanctions imposed by Congress.

"Is it warranted?"

Many moving parts for a Thursday before a holiday week-end.......lotsa turmoil!

Wow. Just out in plain sight.

Deripaska, he was the one that Manafort was trying to "get whole" with, after winning to job on Trump's campaign. Why is this even a priority? Why is it even on the docket with all that's going on in this administration, and the nation, and the world.
Why would this be acted on, at this time, of all times? We suspect why, and it's shameful.

One thing is consistent, Trump's inexplicable love-fest for all things Putin. What a traitor (in the general sense of the term). Trump can't be bothered to check with the Military about when/how to withdraw from Syria before tweeting it, but he can get those Russian sanctions lifting! Trump has his priorities.

"Is it warranted?"

Did the company comply with everything needed to in order to get sanctions lifted? Yes or no?

Wow. Just out in plain sight.

Deripaska, he was the one that Manafort was trying to "get whole" with, after winning to job on Trump's campaign. Why is this even a priority? Why is it even on the docket with all that's going on in this administration, and the nation, and the world.

Why would this be acted on, at this time, of all times? We suspect why, and it's shameful.

One thing is consistent, Trump's inexplicable love-fest for all things Putin. What a traitor (in the general sense of the term). Trump can't be bothered to check with the Military about when/how to withdraw from Syria before tweeting it, but he can get those Russian sanctions lifting! Trump has his priorities.
Yep. As often with Trump's relationship with Putin, the question is:

"Why?"

"Is it warranted?"

I suspect that combined with the Syria withdraw, and the announcement of Nicaragua allowing a Russian base, there is a bit of deal making going on. Not to mention that the sanctions have taken somewhere north of 6% of the world aluminum supply off the market, thus raising global prices ~ 15 to 20%. The companies are near collapse. We don't need to kill them. We've made our point, and I see no value in encouraging Russia to get more in step with China's view of the USA and start cooperating in south America to our detriment.

So for you TDS's er's out there, if you want to keep fighting Russians in a proxy war on the ground, get your kids to enlist and volunteer to do it. The world of war and economics is much bigger that a TDS'er's pea brain. For some reason the democrats want to push Russia to start shooting, yet are completely fine with China's "soft power" trying to isolate us and neuter us.

"Is it warranted?"

The sanctions should not be lifted. It is all shuck and jive. Watch for who/what become the major shareholders. Out of one pocket and into another.

As long as Trump is president we must assume the very worst from Russia in all things. All and all will the lifting of aluminum sanctions benefit Russia? Certainly, and there it is again Making America Great Again. :roll:

No doubt Trump will get a nice belly rub from his master for this act of fealty.

I suspect that combined with the Syria withdraw, and the announcement of Nicaragua allowing a Russian base, there is a bit of deal making going on. Not to mention that the sanctions have taken somewhere north of 6% of the world aluminum supply off the market, thus raising global prices ~ 15 to 20%. The companies are near collapse. We don't need to kill them. We've made our point, and I see no value in encouraging Russia to get more in step with China's view of the USA and start cooperating in south America to our detriment.
I find this a reasonable reply.

So for you TDS's er's out there, if you want to keep fighting Russians in a proxy war on the ground, get your kids to enlist and volunteer to do it. The world of war and economics is much bigger that a TDS'er's pea brain. For some reason the democrats want to push Russia to start shooting, yet are completely fine with China's "soft power" trying to isolate us and neuter us.
This, not so much.

I wish there was a way to give your post 1/2 a like.

I find this a reasonable reply.

This, not so much.

I wish there was a way to give your post 1/2 a like.

That, Kemosabi, is the big picture. Syria and aluminum is chicken feathers.

We are facing a war of survival, or I should say the generation coming up.

The sanctions should not be lifted. It is all shuck and jive. Watch for who/what become the major shareholders. Out of one pocket and into another.

As long as Trump is president we must assume the very worst from Russia in all things. All and all will the lifting of aluminum sanctions benefit Russia? Certainly, and there it is again Making America Great Again. :roll:
That's what I see on the surface. Paper shuffling, or as you say, "shuck & jive".

The thing is, ordinarily we might just give things like this only a passing thought or shrug. But now with Trump, we have no choice but to be suspicious, inquiring, and distrustful. But you know, these are probably good qualities to use in evaluating government in general. Trump just made them more acute.

Alright Chuckie, you've earned my like here. Merry Christmas. ;)

Deal going on? Not one most of us will want. Time and time again Putin's Russia has taken Trump's America to the woodshed. Trump is not a negotiator, Trump is not leader, Trump is not capable.

You talk appeasements, Chuck. That's all we heard from the Teapublicans for years, accusations of appeasement. The Trump Party never mentions the word, and rightly so. Trump is completely inept. The best and brightest he hired are Swampers, grifters, ideologues and ****-ups. Why? Because Trump doesn't understand management and he damn sure doesn't understand government.

Trump doesn't know what he is doing. He was a failure in business. A deal maker? C'mon. Tony Soprano made better deals.

You want to appease Russia and kiss Putin's ass? You found the right man to show you how in Donald Trump.

The article seems pretty clear: the company met the objectives laid out. The personal sanctions against Depriska continue (are these sanctions something which Russia wants, or is it evidence the theory that Trump has been kissing Putin's you know what is rather overwrought) and the article mentions enforcing sanctions against Russia is a priority for the admin.

I lift my leg on your previous post. Chuck, your man Donald Trump has been bitch slapped by Putin from since before Trump waddled into the Oval Office. Trump, and now the US, are not working from a position of strength.

America under Trump is a weakened world power. Putin has out maneuvered Trump and the Trump GOP rather easily. Do you believe that Trump will suddenly gain the insight, confidence, fortitude and character that he has never had? Trump pushes back by laying down. We have seen it often and so has the world. Whatever ill may come to the United States Trump's actions or re-actions will not mitigate the damage.

"Is it warranted?"

"The company ... had made "significant restructuring and corporate governance changes" to allow them to meet the criteria to be delisted within the next 30 days.

It explicitly said Deripaska will remain on the sanctions list and his property would remain blocked as required under law.

"Treasury sanctioned these companies because of their ownership and control by sanctioned Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, not for the conduct of the companies themselves," said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in a statement. "These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska's ownership and sever his control." ..."

Good grief.

Some people can't even comprehend what they read ...

Yep. As often with Trump's relationship with Putin, the question is:
"Why?"
And as time goes on more, we realize that Trump not only dosn't have to answer us, but even if it it is quid pro quo out in the open...it may be legal. And even if it's NOT legal, it may be impossible to prove.
I'm just as mad at our powerlessness to address our concerns, as I am that he's doing what he does I suppose.

It's like Ken Starr making the book rounds this week, talking about how Impeachment is such a terrible thing to drag the country through. I'm wondering if he's been around the last 2 years, I feel this is 100x worse than the Clinton impeachment, how about you? Impeachment would be like a vacation compared to the criminal/traitor/selling the nation out every other day, and lying about it to the public, reality TV.

"The company ... had made "significant restructuring and corporate governance changes" to allow them to meet the criteria to be delisted within the next 30 days.

It explicitly said Deripaska will remain on the sanctions list and his property would remain blocked as required under law.

"Treasury sanctioned these companies because of their ownership and control by sanctioned Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, not for the conduct of the companies themselves," said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in a statement. "These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska's ownership and sever his control." ..."

Good grief.

Some people can't even comprehend what they read ...

But Russia.......

"Is it warranted?"

And on the same day trump randomly announced our withdrawal from syria. What a remarkable coincidence. Putin has to be ecstatic.

and the article mentions enforcing sanctions against Russia is a priority for the admin.
Trump has opposed sanctions since the beginning. He ran on removing those sanctions, we first learned when that Russian spy Butina set him up for that question...remember?
The only reason he didn't veto them was because Congress had a veto-proof majority, and he'd win nothing, and lose even-more face if he tried to.
Stop spreading manure, Trump has enough crooked vegetation growing in the swamp already.

Trump has opposed sanctions since the beginning. He ran on removing those sanctions, we first learned when that Russian spy Butina set him up for that question...remember?
The only reason he didn't veto them was because Congress had a veto-proof majority, and he'd win nothing, and lose even-more face if he tried to.
Stop spreading manure, Trump has enough crooked vegetation growing in the swamp already.

The sanctions the thread is fretting about were IMPOSED by the Trump admin.
As were the individual ones against Derpiska which are NOT being removed.

Back
Top Bottom