• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Treasury plans to lift sanctions on Russian aluminum giant Rusal

"The company ... had made "significant restructuring and corporate governance changes" to allow them to meet the criteria to be delisted within the next 30 days.

It explicitly said Deripaska will remain on the sanctions list and his property would remain blocked as required under law.

"Treasury sanctioned these companies because of their ownership and control by sanctioned Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, not for the conduct of the companies themselves," said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in a statement. "These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska's ownership and sever his control." ..."

Good grief.

Some people can't even comprehend what they read ...

So Deripaska lowered his “stake.” How do you think he did that? “Here, Vlad, can you do me a solid and hold some of my ownership stake in my company so we can get sanctions reduced?”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ove-sanctions-on-deripaska-s-rusal-in-30-days

“These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska’s ownership and sever his control,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in the statement. “The companies will be subject to ongoing compliance and will face severe consequences if they fail to comply.”

“Mnuchin added that Treasury “maintains the ability under the terms of the agreement to have unprecedented levels of transparency into operations.”

Because transparency is what Russia is all about.........

"The company ... had made "significant restructuring and corporate governance changes" to allow them to meet the criteria to be delisted within the next 30 days.

It explicitly said Deripaska will remain on the sanctions list and his property would remain blocked as required under law.

"Treasury sanctioned these companies because of their ownership and control by sanctioned Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, not for the conduct of the companies themselves," said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in a statement. "These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska's ownership and sever his control." ..."

Good grief.

Some people can't even comprehend what they read ...
But that's paper shuffling. Putin controls and profits from this entity, via his oligarchs. And he just got a ('nother) pass from the Trump administration.

So far the only reasonable pro-Russia argument I've seen made in the thread, was ChuckieChan pointing-out the economic & market ramifications. I'm still wary of that argument, but it at least strikes me as having perhaps some potential plausibility.

And as time goes on more, we realize that Trump not only dosn't have to answer us, but even if it it is quid pro quo out in the open...it may be legal. And even if it's NOT legal, it may be impossible to prove.
I'm just as mad at our powerlessness to address our concerns, as I am that he's doing what he does I suppose.

It's like Ken Starr making the book rounds this week, talking about how Impeachment is such a terrible thing to drag the country through. I'm wondering if he's been around the last 2 years, I feel this is 100x worse than the Clinton impeachment, how about you? Impeachment would be like a vacation compared to the criminal/traitor/selling the nation out every other day, and lying about it to the public, reality TV.
Can you imagine if he would have prevailed in the midterms? With his egotistical authoritarian narcissism? My God. I doubt any of us could even imagine.

Did the company comply with everything needed to in order to get sanctions lifted? Yes or no?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ove-sanctions-on-deripaska-s-rusal-in-30-days

Deripaska’s agreement with Treasury includes cutting his direct and indirect share ownership below 50 percent in each company, overhauling the boards of En+ and Rusal, and “committing to full transparency with Treasury by undertaking extensive, ongoing auditing, certification, and reporting requirements,” the department said in a statement.

The oligarch’s stake in EN+ will fall from approximately 70 percent to 44.95 “

Further reading: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ecipients-are-said-to-include-his-own-charity

Shares to his own charity..........:lamo

Can you imagine if he would have prevailed in the midterms? With his egotistical authoritarian narcissism? My God. I doubt any of us could even imagine.

God I can't wait for 2019 congress to get seated.

And on the same day trump randomly announced our withdrawal from syria. What a remarkable coincidence. Putin has to be ecstatic.
Indeed. He came out today and publicly expressed his pleasure at Trump's actions, referring to the President as "Donald"!

Indeed. He came out today and publicly expressed his pleasure at Trump's actions, referring to the President as "Donald"!

To putin, Trump is The Gimp in pulp fiction.

The sanctions the thread is fretting about were IMPOSED by the Trump admin. As were the individual ones against Derpiska which are NOT being removed.
Oh stop. go read some posts and like them, at least then your posts might look slightly more credible instead of looking like a bought and paid for Trump defender.
Russians sanctions have been opposed by Trump since his campaign, remember when that Russian spy was the first one to ask him about Russian sanctions and he said they wouldn't be necessary?
Congress however, tied his hands, and pushed for sanctions with enough support that Trump had little choice. But he still attacked it verbally...unconstitutional, flawed, etc., etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/senate-russia-sanctions-trump.html?module=inline

The Senate on Thursday approved sweeping sanctions against Russia, forcing President Trump to decide whether to accept a tougher line against Moscow or issue a politically explosive veto amid investigations into ties between his presidential campaign and Russian officials.

So Deripaska lowered his “stake.” How do you think he did that? “Here, Vlad, can you do me a solid and hold some of my ownership stake in my company so we can get sanctions reduced?”

“These companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska’s ownership and sever his control,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in the statement. “The companies will be subject to ongoing compliance and will face severe consequences if they fail to comply.”

“Mnuchin added that Treasury “maintains the ability under the terms of the agreement to have unprecedented levels of transparency into operations.”

Oh, isn't this slick? Bloomberg's article had info CNN's article didn't:

VTB Bank or another entity approved by the Treasury Department will take ownership of a block of shares in EN+ as collateral for previous obligations companies controlled by the billionaire have to the bank.

VTB is the Russian state-owned bank Felix Slater lined-up for Trump's financing of the Russia Trump Tower's project, that Trump was negotiating during the election, as was uncovered by Mueller and ratified by Micheal Cohen.

So, I see two possible take-aways here:

1] Trump just sold-out intentionally

or,

2] Trump sold-out unintentionally

Either way, Putin just got a big Christmas present.

Oh stop. go read some posts and like them, at least then your posts might look slightly more credible instead of looking like a bought and paid for Trump defender.
Russians sanctions have been opposed by Trump since his campaign, remember when that Russian spy was the first one to ask him about Russian sanctions and he said they wouldn't be necessary?
Congress however, tied his hands, and pushed for sanctions with enough support that Trump had little choice. But he still attacked it verbally...unconstitutional, flawed, etc., etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/senate-russia-sanctions-trump.html?module=inline

Yeah-- he opposed the sanctions imposed by the Obama Admininistration after the election. He has imposed others since being inagurated-- such as the one this thread is about.

Oh, isn't this slick? Bloomberg's article had info CNN's article didn't:

VTB is the Russian state-owned bank Felix Slater lined-up for Trump's financing of the Russia Trump Tower's project, that Trump was negotiating during the election, as was uncovered by Mueller and ratified by Micheal Cohen.

So, I see two possible take-aways here:

1] Trump just sold-out intentionally

or,

2] Trump sold-out unintentionally

Either way, Putin just got a big Christmas present.

Deripaska has an eligible charity as well;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ecipients-are-said-to-include-his-own-charity

The sanctions the thread is fretting about were IMPOSED by the Trump admin.
As were the individual ones against Derpiska which are NOT being removed.
For one, those sanctions were impressed under Congressional order. Secondly, Deripaska is not the recipient of Trump's largess here. He is merely the conduit. Putin is the recipient. Via VTB Bank and other oligarchs.

It was a paper shuffle.

Yeah-- he opposed the sanctions imposed by the Obama Admininistration after the election. He has imposed others since being inagurated-- such as the one this thread is about.

Since you aren't addressing the fact that he opposed them continuously, and couldn't reasonable override the Congressional veto-proof majoirty, I'll take it that you know Trump opposes sanctions, but you're just trying to run cover like always. Carry on your good works.

Hurry, call in those favors Putin, January is swiftly approaching and we're not sure how long Trump can last in his bunker, they are pounding on every side.

For one, those sanctions were impressed under Congressional order. Secondly, Deripaska is not the recipient of Trump's largess here. He is merely the conduit. Putin is the recipient. Via VTB Bank and other oligarchs.

It was a paper shuffle.

And the law set the criteria for them to be lifted. Shall Trump ignore the law?

There is a thread hereabouts wondering if Putin wishes to resurrect the Cold War. If the USA is to approach that anything to do with Putin and Russia is toxic, perhaps the appropriate question do the anti-Trumpers (Democrats) wish to resurrect the Cold War.

Since you aren't addressing the fact that he opposed them continuously, and couldn't reasonable override the Congressional veto-proof majoirty, I'll take it that you know Trump opposes sanctions, but you're just trying to run cover like always. Carry on your good works.

His administration imposed them. These arent the ones Obama originally imposed.

Hurry, call in those favors Putin, January is swiftly approaching and we're not sure how long Trump can last in his bunker, they are pounding on every side.

There is some truth in this; Trump is doing all he can to give away what he can before he is not the only one with access to the keys to the kingdom.....imo.

Too bad you don't have any proof ... only your whining ...

There is a thread hereabouts wondering if Putin wishes to resurrect the Cold War. If the USA is to approach that anything to do with Putin and Russia is toxic, perhaps the appropriate question do the anti-Trumpers (Democrats) wish to resurrect the Cold War.
I'm not aware of any such law. It's my understanding this is an administrative decision, via Treasury.

If you have cites for legal statute forcing Trump's hand, I'd kindly appreciate your sharing them.

Source: (CNN Politico) Treasury plans to lift sanctions on Russian aluminum giant Rusal

Fresh on the heels of Trump's withdrawing the troops from Syria, we see this.

Oleg Vladimir Depreska, besides sharing a given-name with Putin, appears to be one of his puppet oligarchs. The company in the article, Rusal, is owned by him (Depreska). Well, except now he has reduced his ownership (on paper) to 49.5%. And Trump (via the Treasury) has summarily removed the sanctions imposed by Congress.

This is another big win for Putin. The question I have, is:

"Is it warranted?"

No. Deripaska has business ties to the Russian mafia (was twice denied a US visa for this reason), was investigated by Spain for money laundering, acquired Cypriot citizenship to facilitate money laundering, was a business partner with Paul Manafort, and is an oligarch close to Vladimir Putin. Russian operative Konstantin Kilimnik offered to be the conduit between Manafort (Trump campaign pooba) and Deripaska (who would represent Putin). In 2018 the US imposed sanctions on Deripaska for his clandestine work with the Russian government regarding Crimea, Ukraine, and Syria.

I think these were sanctions imposed by the administration, not the ones imposed by Congress, or else I would agree with you.

Too bad you don't have any proof ... only your whining ...
No, see, both sides are whining, but we have the body of evidence of Trump and his campaigns public behavior, evidence of lies, consciousness of guilty, intent, etc., and multiple campaign staff up on felony charges for lying to investigators, now Stone/Corsi look to be getting their time in the barrel soon, and the net continues to close.

One side whines with a huge body of evidence the likes of which we haven't seen since Nixon.
One side just whines.

I'm not aware of any such law. It's my understanding this is an administrative decision, via Treasury.

If you have cites for legal statute forcing Trump's hand, I'd kindly appreciate your sharing them.

It states this in the article. Doesnt state the name of the law though.

Back
Top Bottom