• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transsexualism is superficial?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
First off they’re never actually going to be what they want to be. And secondly I couldn’t see myself dating one or supporting my kid becoming one so how could I really support it? Truth is it’s mutilation to me. I’m agnostic. I’m not Christian. I believe in freedom and if someone really wants to do that to themselves then I guess go for it.

First off they’re never actually going to be what they want to be. And secondly I couldn’t see myself dating one or supporting my kid becoming one so how could I really support it? Truth is it’s mutilation to me. I’m agnostic. I’m not Christian. I believe in freedom and if someone really wants to do that to themselves then I guess go for it.
How do you know what they want to be? This isn't as simple as "they all want to be the opposite sex". That is a shallow view of transgendered people. Many are perfectly comfortable simply living and being viewed as the opposite gender as their birth sex, even their current physical sex because in everyday life, we don't show off our genitals to people, and we certainly do not share our DNA profiles.

Second, no one cares if you won't date them. As for supporting a child who is transgender, that is only going to lead to emotional and mental distress of your child, not actually be productive in any way. That shows a flaw in your parenting, a huge flaw for any parent to have.

How do you know what they want to be? This isn't as simple as "they all want to be the opposite sex". That is a shallow view of transgendered people. Many are perfectly comfortable simply living and being viewed as the opposite gender as their birth sex, even their current physical sex because in everyday life, we don't show off our genitals to people, and we certainly do not share our DNA profiles.

Second, no one cares if you won't date them. As for supporting a child who is transgender, that is only going to lead to emotional and mental distress of your child, not actually be productive in any way. That shows a flaw in your parenting, a huge flaw for any parent to have.
Well I think it’s all propaganda. You don’t need to castrate yourself. Just be gay.

Well I think it’s all propaganda. You don’t need to castrate yourself. Just be gay.
Transgenderism has little to nothing to do with sexuality. There are heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual transgenders. My sister is a lesbian. She was born male. Her gender identity has nothing to do with who she is attracted to, what sex/gender she wants to be in intimate relationships with. In fact, there have been many middle aged and older couples where the husband came out to the wife as transgender and transitioned, and they remained married, as a same sex couple.

Transgenderism has little to nothing to do with sexuality. There are heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual transgenders. My sister is a lesbian. She was born male. Her gender identity has nothing to do with who she is attracted to, what sex/gender she wants to be in intimate relationships with. In fact, there have been many middle aged and older couples where the husband came out to the wife as transgender and transitioned, and they remained married, as a same sex couple.
Why not just be content with your personality? Guys can behave in ways or believe in things women do without having to mutilate themselves or think they’re the opposite sex.

Why not just be content with your personality? Guys can behave or believe things women do without having to mutilate themselves or think they’re the opposite sex.
Why have tattoos or pierced ears? Are those things mutilations? Why have liposuction or breast enhancements? Why wear makeup or cut your hair a certain way?

They feel they are the opposite sex as their genitalia portrays. It isn't thinking they are and it doesn't have to even involve changing anything more than what they want to change.

Why have tattoos or pierced ears? Are those things mutilations? Why have liposuction or breast enhancements? Why wear makeup or cut your hair a certain way?

They feel they are the opposite sex as their genitalia portrays. It isn't thinking they are and it doesn't have to even involve changing anything more than what they want to change.
Yeah but cutting off your dick is way different than a piercing.

First off they’re never actually going to be what they want to be.
Never is a long time. Until then, research seems to suggest that this is a pretty good first step.
And secondly I couldn’t see myself dating one...
Then don't.
or supporting my kid becoming one
Be grateful this is not an actual issue for your family.

so how could I really support it?
By not making asinine statements against it would be a nice start, you know, like the bold below.
Truth is it’s mutilation to me.

I’m agnostic. I’m not Christian. I believe in freedom and if someone really wants to do that to themselves then I guess go for it.
Oh, OK. So, you really just wanted to whine about it.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you feel. I can’t just believe I have superpowers.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you feel. I can’t just believe I have superpowers.
Sure you can. If you attempt to do unreasonable things based on those beliefs, then that is a problem, unless you have credible evidence to support you actually have whatever "superpower" you believe you do. But you are free to believe you have superpowers.

Perhaps you have enhanced senses of some sort or perhaps better healing than most. These things could most definitely be considered superpowers.

I believe there is a confusion here between 2 different things:

A transgender or transsexual is a person who was one sex at birth but who identifies as a the other. They may take steps to transition, but these steps do not necessarily involve surgery or physical changes. they can dress like the sex they identify with, refer to themselves as a member of that sex or use a name that refers to that sex. For some people the physically transition to the gender that corresponds to the gender they identifies with is necessary

A transvestite is a person who wears clothes that are primarily associated with the gender that he or she does not identify with. A man may prefer to dress like a woman, but it does not make him transgender if he does not identify as a woman.

Pretty close to where my position is on this issue.

Gender dysphoria is an acknowledged mental health issue, as listed in the DSM.
I wish all those suffering from it to get the best possible care to help them.
If their medical care givers recommend transition and this is what they believe is best for them, they should proceed, but with the knowledge that reversing the results may not be possible.
Whatever may help them.
I don't believe that parents should be recommended chemical castration for their underage kids, nor do I think that parent should be pushing for the same.

You dont understand what trans people go through so its willfull ignorance.

You dont understand what trans people go through so its willfull ignorance.
I’m sure they go through a lot. And notice it hasn’t really taken off like other civil rights stuff. In fact black culture really does not like even homosexuality. But see their plight was real. They weren’t even allowed to use water fountains. They were slaves and they wanted freedom. That’s all real shit worth fighting for.

Even feminism was good until it reached this modern age with all the accusations and self victimization.

I’m sure they go through a lot. And notice it hasn’t really taken off like other civil rights stuff. In fact black culture really does not like even homosexuality. But see their plight was real. They weren’t even allowed to use water fountains. They were slaves and they wanted freedom. That’s all real shit worth fighting for.
Marriage and equal treatment, not being fired for who you love is real shit to fight for. Having freedom to be who you are, present yourself as you feel to society is something worth fighting for. Doesn't matter how much you or others of any race, nationality, religion, etc disagree.

Marriage and equal treatment, not being fired for who you love is real shit to fight for. Having freedom to be who you are, present yourself as you feel to society is something worth fighting for. Doesn't matter how much you or others of any race, nationality, religion, etc disagree.
You forgot to put cutting off your dick in there. Otherwise it sounds great.

You forgot to put cutting off your dick in there. Otherwise it sounds great.
People have that right. It's their penis, and if they don't want it anymore, then that should be their right to have it surgically removed, just like breasts or having those things added to their bodies.

People have that right. It's their penis, and if they don't want it anymore, then that should be their right to have it surgically removed, just like breasts or having those things added to their bodies.
You assume I support breast implants? Lol

They are legal and something plenty of women have chosen to have done.
Yeah and it’s superficial. It doesn’t change the attitudes of people who are going to know they’re fake and see it as stupid.

Yeah and it’s superficial. It doesn’t change the attitudes of people who are going to know they’re fake and see it as stupid.
So, and why does that matter? Those people have their own issues, since there is no way that those people know in almost all cases what that person's genes are or even what genitalia they have. So it is basically "I'm going to be rude to you because I am making an assumption".

Gender is a social construct. The way I see it, it has two parts: what you call yourself, and how you present.

If a transman refers to himself as a man and presents in a masculine way, then he has effectively filled the gender role of a man, making him a man. While his sex is still female, his gender is male. If he chooses to undergo surgery in order to further present as a man, then that's his business and no one else's.

This change of gender is necessary for him because he has gender dysphoria (GD) and the only known treatment for GD is to transition. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Back
Top Bottom