• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transparent right click box

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My PC is really pissing me off. This problem started a few days ago. When you right click something it brings up a box with all the available options, copy, print, inspect, etc. Now that box is transparent more often then not. You can see the outline of the box as if it's a window in front of the monitor. Sometimes by moving the mouse around the options will appear but not often. It also happens with my bookmark tabs.

I'm begging to suspect my video card. I've done a virus and malware scan but they have come up clean.

My PC is really pissing me off. This problem started a few days ago. When you right click something it brings up a box with all the available options, copy, print, inspect, etc. Now that box is transparent more often then not. You can see the outline of the box as if it's a window in front of the monitor. Sometimes by moving the mouse around the options will appear but not often. It also happens with my bookmark tabs.

I'm begging to suspect my video card. I've done a virus and malware scan but they have come up clean.
Make sure all your drivers are up to date and do the same for your browser and any other software like Flash, etc...

Make sure all your drivers are up to date and do the same for your browser and any other software like Flash, etc...

Did all that and it's a little better but it's still happening.

Did all that and it's a little better but it's still happening.

First you should probably check the disk health in case it's dying and that's why your system files are corrupted.

Use Speedfan 4.52 (the blue link in the paragraph) Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
Install it, open on desktop shortcut, click the S.M.A.R.T. tab, under hard disk select your boot disk
At the bottom it fill say fitness and performance with some bars, hover over to get the percentage, should both be over 90% or close. If fitness is very low your disk is failing.

Open command prompt as administrator, if you can find it in the right click menu. :lol:

sfc /scannow

When it's done look and see if it found anything (it won't necessarily fix it even if it finds corrupted files), restart the computer, see what it does. If that doesn't do it do:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After restarts check it out, if still not working go into safe mode and run sfc /scannow again, restart.

If STILL not let me know.

First you should probably check the disk health in case it's dying and that's why your system files are corrupted.

Use Speedfan 4.52 (the blue link in the paragraph) Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
Install it, open on desktop shortcut, click the S.M.A.R.T. tab, under hard disk select your boot disk
At the bottom it fill say fitness and performance with some bars, hover over to get the percentage, should both be over 90% or close. If fitness is very low your disk is failing.

Numbers were 88% and 93%.

Open command prompt as administrator, if you can find it in the right click menu. :lol:

sfc /scannow

Doing this now.

When it's done look and see if it found anything (it won't necessarily fix it even if it finds corrupted files), restart the computer, see what it does. If that doesn't do it do:

After restarts check it out, if still not working go into safe mode and run sfc /scannow again, restart.

sfc /scannow

Here's what that turned up.

sfc-scannow.jpg

restarting now.

sfc /scannow takes awhile don't it?

Yup, especially if you don't have an SSD.

Here's what that turned up.

View attachment 67250722

restarting now.

Hmmm, doesn't seem Windows is wonked, you might skip the DISM command unless you already started and try fiddling with the UI settings. I'm not sure which ones control that but sometimes just toggling them on and off will fix something like that.

This is an older computer. here are the specs:

I think I'm just going to use this as an excuse to build a new one. I built my son a new gaming unit for Christmas and it's working great so now maybe it's my turn. :mrgreen:

Always nice to build a new one, I'm almost due myself even though I don't really have a reason why I need it to be faster. :lol:

You can always reset your PC just make sure you tell it to keep your files. You'll have to reinstall your programs and settings but it's always an option. Back up your web browser too, passwords and bookmarks.

This is an older computer. here are the specs:

View attachment 67250723
View attachment 67250724

I think I'm just going to use this as an excuse to build a new one. I built my son a new gaming unit for Christmas and it's working great so now maybe it's my turn. :mrgreen:

Are you still having PC problems?
I asked someone who knows what they're talking about and the first thing he asked was what OS you were using 7 or 10.
Then he said ...
"I would have them start by looking at their performance options: right click "my computer -> properties. Then choose advanced system settings, then click settings in the performance section. in here look at visual effects. Something could be off in there"

I asked someone who knows what they're talking about and the first thing he asked was what OS you were using 7 or 10.
Then he said ...
"I would have them start by looking at their performance options: right click "my computer -> properties. Then choose advanced system settings, then click settings in the performance section. in here look at visual effects. Something could be off in there"

Yep, still having problems. I'll try that when I get home tonight. I'm still going to build a new one though. I got permission from SWMBO this weekend. :mrgreen:

Yep, still having problems. I'll try that when I get home tonight. I'm still going to build a new one though. I got permission from SWMBO this weekend. :mrgreen:

I still have one of those SWMBOs myself. Not a lot of trade-in value.

I still have one of those SWMBOs myself. Not a lot of trade-in value.

Normally causes significant cash flow problems and loss of assets

Then he said ...

His command prompt screenshot showed he was using Win 10. I suggested he take a look at those settings in post #10. There is no "My Computer" on Win 10, only "This PC".

Back
Top Bottom