• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transgenderism will soon be cool

solletica

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
For several years, Western societies have failed to offer adequate avenues for men to fully express and/or harness their effeminate side, and for women to fully express and/or harness their masculine side.

Hence, the need has always existed to compensate for this deficiency by taking on the persona of the opposite gender, i. e. permanently (or routinely) modifying one's physical appearance to conform to what is customary for that gender as defined by those inflexible social norms.

When there were only a few openly transgendered individuals, this was harder to do as there was more social pressure against crossdressing. Now, as it has become more accepted, the bottle containing this pent up psychological need has been uncapped.

But since this need exists in everyone, transgenderism will inevitably become the norm, and individuals doing it will no longer be labeled "LGBT."

Last edited:
how soon is "soon"

I was conjuring images of Miles Davis cool, which wouldn't be the case.

Anyhow, I found it amusing you moved from "cool" to "norm." Both of which are incredibly unlikely, but one would perhaps surmise that the understanding of the term "norm" is lackluster.

For several years, Western societies have failed to offer adequate avenues for men to fully express and/or harness their effeminate side, and for women to fully express and/or harness their masculine side.

Hence, the need has always existed to compensate for this deficiency by taking on the persona of the opposite gender, i. e. permanently (or routinely) modifying one's physical appearance to conform to what is customary for that gender as defined by those inflexible social norms.

When there were only a few openly transgendered individuals, this was harder to do as there was more social pressure against crossdressing. Now, as it has become more accepted, the bottle containing this pent up psychological need has been uncapped.

But since this need exists in everyone, transgenderism will inevitably become the norm, and individuals doing it will no longer be labeled "LGBT."

It was never uncool.

This has to be one of the stupidest and insulting posts to transsexuals I've seen in quite some time. You don't seem to have a clue as to what transsexuality is about. What you are talking about is more fluid gender roles and gender behaviors.

Are you kidding me?

I was in touch with my feminine side around age 6...when I grabbed it and tossed it away. :roll:

I have no problem with individuals making such choices for themselves, since I believe in natural rights and individual liberty.

But claiming that ALL men and women have this "need?" Not hardly. :coffeepap:

cross-dressing is not the same as identifying as another gender i can see more people casualy braking away from stereotypes

but i dont thinck the enforcement of those stereotypes is the cause of not feeling like you dont belong to your xx or xy chromosome

I'm a man, and I don't have an effeminate side. I never wore a dress, nor did I ever try on a bra. To me, tampons are icky, but tits are pretty. What does that make me?

I'm a man, and I don't have an effeminate side. I never wore a dress, nor did I ever try on a bra. To me, tampons are icky, but tits are pretty. What does that make me?

common

This has to be one of the stupidest and insulting posts to transsexuals I've seen in quite some time. You don't seem to have a clue as to what transsexuality is about.

Here's your clue...

A transsexual is a person in which the sex-related structures of the brain that define gender identity are exactly opposite the physical sex organs of the body. Put even more simply, a transsexual is a mind that is literally, physically, trapped in a body of the opposite sex.

What

And the only way one's mind could perceive an incongruence between its body is if society attached artificial meanings to what being a biological man or woman entails, and there were clear, non-trivial distinctions in those meanings.

In the absence of those distinctions, the incongruence wouldn't exist, and therefore, there would be no need for transsexualism.

I recommend that you research the concept of socially constructed gender identities to learn more about the relationship between societal values/norms and transsexualism, instead of just listening to Caitlyn Jenner speeches.

Common, but in denial. The notion of men and women possessing masculine and feminine qualities of which they're not consciously aware is documented in Jungian psychology, referred to as the animus

The Anima is the personification of all feminine psychological tendencies within a man, the archetypal feminine symbolism within a man's unconscious. The Animus is the personification of all masculine psychological tendencies within a woman, the archetypal masculine symbolism within a woman's unconscious.

Anima/Animus

The anima and animus can be identified as the totality of the unconscious feminine psychological qualities that a man possesses or the masculine ones possessed by a woman, respectively. It is an archetype of the collective unconscious and not an aggregate of father or mother, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, or teachers, though these aspects of the personal unconscious can influence the person for good or ill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anima_and_animus

Therefore, to claim that one doesn't have an effeminate side is to claim that one lacks a fundamental component of the unconscious mind, or that Jungian psychology doesn't apply to him/her, which makes no sense :rolleyes:

In her defense, no one does.

That is not what one poster thinks. But his answers are no better than anyones elses. Remember most doctors think it is a mental disorder.

The concept of feminine and masculine sides always seemed strange to me. These things are specific behaviors assigned to people based on sex by our culture. Honestly the rebellion against that doesn't strike me as getting in touch with one's feminine side but rejecting the idea that gender roles are biological

It makes you you.

That is not what one poster thinks. But his answers are no better than anyones elses. Remember most doctors think it is a mental disorder.

Really? You can show that most doctors think this, significantly more than 50%?

Really? You can show that most doctors think this, significantly more than 50%?
The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ?Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ?Biologically Impossible?

Paul McHugh: Transgender Surgery Isn't the Solution - WSJ

Here's your clue...

And the only way one's mind could perceive an incongruence between its body is if society attached artificial meanings to what being a biological man or woman entails, and there were clear, non-trivial distinctions in those meanings.

In the absence of those distinctions, the incongruence wouldn't exist, and therefore, there would be no need for transsexualism.

I recommend that you research the concept of socially constructed gender identities to learn more about the relationship between societal values/norms and transsexualism, instead of just listening to Caitlyn Jenner speeches.

No, you have no clue. I have read more on transsexualism than you could possibly have. Your OP and position is idiotic and confuses gender roles with transsexuality. Transsexuality is NOT the perception of what being a biological male or female entails. It is the physical differentiation between how one experiences themselves anatomically and how one PERCEIVES themselves from a gender standpoint due to the brain-anatomy inconsistency. The gender roles are irrelevant.

You have posted information from ONE doctor, a doctor who's positions are not only biased, but have been debunked. Firstly, the 70%-80% figure is inaccurate. It's about 30% which is why, from an ethical standpoint, it is poor practice to give any minor HRT or perform SRS. Next, over 90% of people who have had SRS express satisfaction. There is also definitive evidence that their psychological adjustments are significantly improved. Don't listen to McHugh. He has an agenda and all of his information is from more than 25 years ago, completely outdated.

You have posted information from ONE doctor, a doctor who's positions are not only biased, but have been debunked. Firstly, the 70%-80% figure is inaccurate. It's about 30% which is why, from an ethical standpoint, it is poor practice to give any minor HRT or perform SRS. Next, over 90% of people who have had SRS express satisfaction. There is also definitive evidence that their psychological adjustments are significantly improved. Don't listen to McHugh. He has an agenda and all of his information is from more than 25 years ago, completely outdated.

Where is your source?

Transgendered doesn't rely on clothes. I wear jeans and tshirts all the time... that's not the same thing as being transgendered.

And if it becomes 'cool' - well that's sad. Accepted should be the key point to make, not 'cool'. When things are 'cool' people emulate it and reduce it down to a trend or a fashion. People who actually identify as such-and-such are diminished as a result, I believe.

But what you're addressing is more along the lines of what society is already embracing - metrosexual men and down-dressed women (like me, jeans and t's). It's been like this for quite some time - no one honestly cares that much about men and women just developing fashion/style.

Back
Top Bottom