• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transgendered couple

maquiscat

Maquis Admiral
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
An interesting article. Thought I share.

That was a nice story. Good for them!

My sincere question is:

If they had met before either had the operations/ sexual changes, could they have still hit it off and ended up in a loving, long term relationship?

Why is this even news?

I hope its true. Its really sweet and they understand each other.

Are we sure this is actually true?

The Daily Mail often isn't much more reliable than the Onion. :lol:

My sincere question is:

If they had met before either had the operations/ sexual changes, could they have still hit it off and ended up in a loving, long term relationship?

I'm not sure what you mean. As I understand the article, they met in a support group before either one of them underwent the surgery. The MtF had her surgery first and that helped the FtM to undertake his. Meeting much before when they started with the support group would have them at a age when they might not have even been interested in any kind of dating.

I'm not sure what you mean. As I understand the article, they met in a support group before either one of them underwent the surgery. The MtF had her surgery first and that helped the FtM to undertake his. Meeting much before when they started with the support group would have them at a age when they might not have even been interested in any kind of dating.

Thanks, I guess I overlooked that part. I was wondering if, in general, the successful relationship dynamics would have been the same prior to the physical changes, but apparently this would not be a proper case to determine that.

My sincere question is:

Probably not, given how unhappy their situation would have made them with yourselves.

Imagine you woke up as a woman one day. After you spent a few hours-- okay, days-- experimenting with your new body, what do you think that would do to your self-image and your ability to maintain a healthy relationship?

Thanks, I guess I overlooked that part. I was wondering if, in general, the successful relationship dynamics would have been the same prior to the physical changes, but apparently this would not be a proper case to determine that.

I'll tell ya what's strange--at least as far as I understand it and I'm no expert here--but most MtF's I've heard of make the change but still like girls.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Here's an article about Katie's change in her local newspaper. Her boyfriend is pictured and discussed in the article as well. It's a true story.

Wow. Kudos to their surgical teams. Other than the height difference, you can't even tell.

Though, to be honest, having the surgery before puberty can fully take affect probably helps a lot on this regard.

I'll tell ya what's strange--at least as far as I understand it and I'm no expert here--but most MtF's I've heard of make the change but still like girls.

Since sexuality and gender expression are different for different people, it really doesn't matter. There is no "set orientation" for any transgendered person MtF or FtM. It's an individual thing and it's best not to assume that any transgendered person is a particular orientation.

Lack of exposure is all I can think of. Being in the leadership of the local kink community also puts me in contact with people in many of the other "alternative" communities, whether any given individual actually overlaps into the kink or not. I've not discerned any particular pattern to it. A couple of them have started out thinking that they are actually one way or the other and end up realizing that they're the opposite. I've not personally be a Bi TG yet, but I imagine that they have the easiest transition as far as attractions go

When I think of transgender people, I wonder just how unhappy they must be to go through all that surgery and drugs and whatnot. I'm so glad those options are available to them these days. But I'm always sorry that they were so unhappy with their original bodies.

Re the couple in the original post - I'm very glad they found each other; but they are very young, and while I hope things work out, I hope they give each other enough freedom to see if this is the right relationship or if there is someone else out there for them.

It's an individual thing and it's best not to assume that any transgendered person is a particular orientation.

I’ll agree.

Being in the leadership of the local kink community also puts me in contact with people in many of the other "alternative" communities…

I’ll bet you have a lot of interesting stories…

They aren't gay they just want to be the opposite gender.

My sincere question is:

Transgender is a complicated status and unclear to many people. It's meaning is also not completely pinned down or agreed on, it is in flux. In this instance it appears the kids were born feeling or self identifying as one gender but their bodies were the opposite gender. So no, I do not think they could have a relationship with each other or anyone until they felt like what was going on internally was in unison with what they looked like externally. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

I have a transgender friend. Allow me to explain. Physically they are one gender, but mentally and emotionally they are another. They act exactly the same as anyone else of the gender they want to be. I had no idea my friend (who is anatomically female) was a transgender until he told me.

And he likes girls. So, physically (for now), he's a lesbian. But mentally, he is straight.

In my experience, most like males, but a higher proportion like girls than one might expect. One thing to remember though, is that sexual orientation is very different than gender identity, so this isn't really unusual.

As for the story, the surgical teams did a great job. Good for them and the kids, though, to me, it was little early for them (especially the 17 year old) to start physically transitioning. And the amount of persecution that they both (and their families) encountered is not surprising. It is fortunate that their parents were supportive. I've worked with some who's parents were extraordinarily unsupportive.

That's one of the sweetest stories I've read in a long time. I'm very happy for them, and has put a big smile on my face.

Wow. Kudos to their surgical teams. Other than the height difference, you can't even tell.

Though, to be honest, having the surgery before puberty can fully take affect probably helps a lot on this regard.

Actually, the surgery has little to do with physical appearance. Well at least the one Katie had, there is no scar tissue on Arin which is a testament to his surgical team. But all of the secondary characteristics, like his hair, and broad shoulders, and her breasts, and the softening of her face are all due to hormones. Hormones are very powerful, and can do a lot, especially at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom