• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transcripts detail how FBI debated whether Trump was 'following directions' of Russia

sangha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics/trump-fbi-debate-investigation/index.html

[h=1]Transcripts detail how FBI debated whether Trump was 'following directions' of Russia[/h]
In the chaotic aftermath at the FBI following Director James Comey's firing, a half-dozen senior FBI officials huddled to set in motion the momentous move to open an investigation into President Donald Trump that included trying to understand why he was acting in ways that seemed to benefit Russia.

They debated a range of possibilities, according to portions of transcripts of two FBI officials' closed-door congressional interviews obtained by CNN. On one end was the idea that Trump fired Comey at the behest of Russia. On the other was the possibility that Trump didn't have an improper relationship with the Kremlin and was acting within the bounds of his executive authority, the transcripts show.

James Baker, then-FBI general counsel, said the FBI officials were contemplating with regard to Russia whether Trump was "acting at the behest of and somehow following directions, somehow executing their will."

"That was one extreme. The other extreme is that the President is completely innocent, and we discussed that too," Baker told House investigators last year. "There's a range of things this could possibly be. We need to investigate, because we don't know whether, you know, the worst-case scenario is possibly true or the President is totally innocent and we need to get this thing over with — and so he can move forward with his agenda."

my takeaways from this article are

1) It is not merely a rumor that the FBI was investigating whether Trump was working for the Russians. There is Congressional testimony by the FBIs general counsel to confirm this

2) The discussions about opening this investigation began BEFORE Trump fired Comey so obviously, the FBI had additional reasons for suspecting Trump

Last edited:
This is why Republicans dread for when the shutdown is over.

Once the shutdown is over they'll be forced to talk about this stuff, with a Democratic House forcing witnesses to testify on TV. So that even if the Senate tries to sweep things under the rug, the House will still do its job, and inform the public of what is being uncovered.

Gotta wonder, if Comey had taken the personal loyalty oath, would things be different.

Hillary would have fired Comey the moment she stepped in the Oval Office. Would this investigation have occurred?
Truly, Trump's mistake was not doing exactly that.
The leaking weasel set himself into a coiled position from the start.

Once the shutdown is over they'll be forced to talk about this stuff, with a Democratic House forcing witnesses to testify on TV. So that even if the Senate tries to sweep things under the rug, the House will still do its job, and inform the public of what is being uncovered.

Um...wouldn't the Dems be waiting at the bargaining table instead of enjoying swank beach vacations if that was the case? You do see the irony there, right?

This. I fully agree with your prediction. And it doesn't bode well for the Republicans.

Um...wouldn't the Dems be waiting at the bargaining table instead of enjoying swank beach vacations if that was the case? You do see the irony there, right?

I guess you did not see the retraction by Fox News about Pelosi being on vacation? She had stayed in Washington but NPR reported she was "supposed" to go on vacation I think in Puerto Rico, but had instead stayed in Washington. Fox News reported she was on vacation because of the NPR report, but later retracted it when they found out she had remained in Washington. All of the rest of the house had gone home including the GOpers.

I guess you did not see the retraction by Fox News about Pelosi being on vacation? She had stayed in Washington but NPR reported she was "supposed" to go on vacation I think in Puerto Rico, but had instead stayed in Washington. Fox News reported she was on vacation because of the NPR report, but later retracted it when they found out she had remained in Washington. All of the rest of the house had gone home including the GOpers.

I realize Pelosi didn't go to PR. That was never in question for me. And you know why, right? She'd been found in Hawaii as the partial government shutdown commenced. At least Pelosi has some CLUE about optics.
Bob Mendendez obviously does not.

1) It is not merely a rumor that the FBI was investigating whether Trump was working for the Russians. There is Congressional testimony by the FBIs general counsel to confirm this

2) The discussions about opening this investigation began BEFORE Trump fired Comey so obviously, the FBI had additional reasons for suspecting Trump

Is another one of your takeaways that those mentioned in the article are gone from the FBI? Why? Think their names might pop up again somewhere down the road?
From whom in the House were those "congressional transcripts obtained by CNN"? No takeaway curiosity there?

Last edited:

It also demonstrates that the FBI was acting entirely with the discretion that Republicans like to believe they weren't.

Even dumber is claiming there is irony but being unable to show it.

You just don't see the irony of your specious position. Can't help ya there.
ttfn

Hillary would have fired Comey the moment she stepped in the Oval Office. Would this investigation have occurred?
Truly, Trump's mistake was not doing exactly that.
The leaking weasel set himself into a coiled position from the start.

Yes, a counterintelligence investigation doesn't end with one candidate winning and another losing, because the reason for the start of a CI investigation still exists.

In order to understand why this is, Asha Rangappa's article makes it brutally clear what the purpose of a CI investigation is to begin with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...-threat/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d1bfddfbb9a8

It's almost like that's what they were talking about in the video of the meeting between Trump and Chuck. We have the conversation prior to the famous clip, right? Before that, they weren't, "we need to shut down and allow this investigation to run its course without a circus"... "I will take the mantle."... Then Chuck's crap-eating grin makes more sense, it's an "I'm right about him" grin.

It was all about the wall, of course. But kinda weird how the context can be transposed.

Is another one of your takeaways that those mentioned in the article are gone from the FBI? Why? Think their names might pop up again somewhere down the road?
From whom in the House were those "congressional transcripts obtained by CNN"? No tekeaway curiosity there?

Probably not. That curiosity seems to abate when the waters are chummed with negative Trump stories. This one, I have to say, is laughable.

I realize Pelosi didn't go to PR. That was never in question for me. And you know why, right? She'd been found in Hawaii as the partial government shutdown commenced. At least Pelosi has some CLUE about optics.
Bob Mendendez obviously does not.

You do realize that the House voted on, passed and sent on bills that would open the government to the Senate. Their work is done. It is up to McConnell and the President to do something now.

You do realize that the House voted on, passed and sent on bills that would open the government to the Senate. Their work is done. It is up to McConnell and the President to do something now.

No, that poster obviously doesn't know that. He/she seems to think that the Democrats are supposed to be in DC begging McConnell to bring those bills to a vote.

The lack of critical thinking in Trump Fan Nation is both weird and scary.

No, their work is not done. They don't get to put forth **** legislation that they know damn well only serves them, and will never get through, and call it a day.

Something is stopping that conversation from happening now? Hell, weve been discussing nothing else for two freaking years. Where have you been?

More glaring proof of the blatant, seditious CORRUPTION of the Obama Swamp leftovers on charge of the KGB-FBI/DOJ, many of whom have since been disgraced, demoted, and removed for their behavior, including McCabe , Strzok, and soon to be Rosenstein.

No, their work is not done. They don't get to put forth **** legislation that they know damn well only serves them, and will never get through, and call it a day.

LIberals seem to have no clue how government works. They seem to forget that the republican House passed lots of bills that Obama refused to sign so they never made it out of the senate. Same thing is happening here. Only Obama was a hero when he did it.

The Democrats already passed multiple bills to reopen the government. The senate passed a bill 100-0. You tell me where the holdup is.

LIberals seem to have no clue how government works. They seem to forget that the republican House passed lots of bills that Obama refused to sign so they never made it out of the senate. Same thing is happening here. Only Obama was a hero when he did it.

Obama didn't shut down the government until Republicans gave him universal healthcare.

Back
Top Bottom