• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TransCanada Shuts Keystone Pipeline

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
TransCanada Shuts Keystone Pipeline - WSJ
TransCanada Shuts Keystone Pipeline

TransCanada Corp. said Monday that it had shut down its Keystone oil pipeline due to a possible leak in South Dakota.
Workers found signs of oil on a small patch of ground about 4 miles from the company’s Freeman pump station after the incident was reported Saturday, the Canadian pipeline operator said in a statement.

TransCanada said regulators have been notified and that the company is cooperating with those agencies on the investigation. It said no significant environmental impact has been observed.
The pipeline will remain shut while the investigation is under way.
SEEE ALSO:
Keystone XL's Older Pipeline Twin Spills Oil In South Dakota | ThinkProgress
Seems they has a toxic spill………. you know sometime that would seldom/never happen………….and if so would be small and easy to clean up……….

Well it seems to me that the spill may be a bit bigger if they had to shut down the whole pipe line ………….

Wouldn’t you agree?

Does not appear to be a massive spill on first reporting, but who knows what tomorrow will bring to the table.

"TransCanada (TRP), which operates the pipeline, reported a spill of about 187 gallons of crude oil to the Coast Guard's National Response Center on Saturday afternoon.

The company said in a statement it is removing the oil and investigating the source. TransCanada said "no significant impact to the environment has been observed." The incident along the controversial pipeline is located about four miles away from the Freeman pump station in Hutchinson County, South Dakota."

Part of Keystone pipeline shut down over oil leak - Apr. 4, 2016

Does not appear to be a massive spill on first reporting, but who knows what tomorrow will bring to the table.

"TransCanada (TRP), which operates the pipeline, reported a spill of about 187 gallons of crude oil to the Coast Guard's National Response Center on Saturday afternoon.

The company said in a statement it is removing the oil and investigating the source. TransCanada said "no significant impact to the environment has been observed." The incident along the controversial pipeline is located about four miles away from the Freeman pump station in Hutchinson County, South Dakota."

Part of Keystone pipeline shut down over oil leak - Apr. 4, 2016
Most likely is that the it's at least 3x as bad as the Keystone Pipeline folks are making it out to be.

Well it seems to me that the spill may be a bit bigger if they had to shut down the whole pipe line ………….

Wouldn’t you agree?

They almost have to shut down the flow to make repairs.
You turn off the water in a house to fix a pipe.
If their repair involves welding, I would hope they do so without the hydrocarbons present!

If their repair involves welding, I would hope they do so without the hydrocarbons present!

Yes and by the time you shut off the water your house is full of it........

But this was never supposed to happen................remember?

Yes and by the time you shut off the water your house is full of it........

But this was never supposed to happen................remember?
I think I would be safe in saying the pipeline company did not use the phrase never.
The contract likely says technology will be implemented to minimize leaks, and reduce
the possibility of catastrophic failures.
It sounds like they found the leak before they lost more than 5 barrels.
It is fairly amazing they caught it that fast.

I think I would be safe in saying the pipeline company did not use the phrase never.
The contract likely says technology will be implemented to minimize leaks, and reduce
the possibility of catastrophic failures.
It sounds like they found the leak before they lost more than 5 barrels.
It is fairly amazing they caught it that fast.

Often what it sounds like is not what it is............

Let's remember...........these things are not supposed to happen...................that's what they said.......Remember...........

And all this proves is it was the right decision to not allow the pipeline being built from Canada to New Orleans where it would be distilled by a Saudi owner refinery and all the toxic water and radio active debris was to be dumped somewhere in the USA........

Often what it sounds like is not what it is............

Let's remember...........these things are not supposed to happen...................that's what they said.......Remember...........

And all this proves is it was the right decision to not allow the pipeline being built from Canada to New Orleans where it would be distilled by a Saudi owner refinery and all the toxic water and radio active debris was to be dumped somewhere in the USA........
Actually it was the wrong decision, the oil is still being moved by train at much higher risk, and costs.
The additional pipeline would terminate in Texas, just like the existing one,
and the oil would be refined into finished fuel products. No radioactive debris, or toxic water left over.
Oil refining puts all of the products to use, even the residual asphalt goes into roads and parking lots.
We need more manufacturing in the US not less, oil refining is just another type of manufacturing,
turning a raw material into a finished product.
Stopping the keystone pipeline, increases the chance of a spill, and increases the cost of the fuel
products which could improve our trade imbalance.

They will, it is called Hot Work/Hot Tapping.

They will, it is called Hot Work/Hot Tapping.
Sounds exciting, I have seen some impressive things done in an industrial setting,
so not much surprises me.
I sounds like they cut off the flow, I was just assuming they would run a pig to check the repairs.

O

In fact so far it 'proves; ' just the opposite. That the risk of a major accident is low.

Actually it was the wrong decision, the oil is still being moved by train at much higher risk, and costs.
The additional pipeline would terminate in Texas, just like the existing one,
and the oil would be refined into finished fuel products. No radioactive debris, or toxic water left over.
Oil refining puts all of the products to use, even the residual asphalt goes into roads and parking lots.
We need more manufacturing in the US not less, oil refining is just another type of manufacturing,
turning a raw material into a finished product.
Stopping the keystone pipeline, increases the chance of a spill, and increases the cost of the fuel
products which could improve our trade imbalance.

Yup........... all wrong..........

For a change.........why don't you Google what I say and get back with an apology...........

BTW

I bought gas the other day for $1.97..............Must be because of the fuel line that was never built...........

So are we all gonna die or not? Is it 187 gallons or 187 million barrels?

This is absurd. Nothing in this indicates a problem. If they were monitoring the line, discovered a leak and lost less than 200 gallons that's pretty freaking good!

Yup........... all wrong..........

For a change.........why don't you Google what I say and get back with an apology...........

BTW

I bought gas the other day for $1.97..............Must be because of the fuel line that was never built...........
The fuel products from keystone were never meant for US markets,
We would be making fuels for export, for evil profit.
http://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/04/canadian-oil-rides-south-even-without-keystone-pipeline.html
Barrelling through: How Canada?s oil will find its way to the end point of Keystone XL | Financial Post
Obama's action only made the oil less profitable, (and at todays prices not very viable).
Alas the price of oil will come back up, but only to about $90 a barrel.
Will $90 a barrel be low enough to make the tar sands still worth while? who knows.
$90 a barrel is about the price where it will be cheaper for a refinery to make their own
feedstock, rather than find and extract it from the ground.
Cars That Run on Air and Water? Audi Rolls Out E-Diesel
Audi bought an old refinery to start making e-gas, and expanded to make e-diesel.
The Navy is working on jet fuel.
P.S. it takes about 55 Kwh of energy to make a gallon of gasoline.

So are we all gonna die or not? Is it 187 gallons or 187 million barrels?

This is absurd. Nothing in this indicates a problem. If they were monitoring the line, discovered a leak and lost less than 200 gallons that's pretty freaking good!
That is what I was thinking,
I was also thinking, some environmentalist advocates could have taken 3 or 4 barrels of oil out in a truck
and dumped it to make them think a leak had occurred, it sounds really small for a real leak.

Y

and it's guaranteed to stay low for years to come.

( good grief)

Of course since liberals WANT expensive gas, this pipeline wasn't in the game plan.

Most people do, though, so the pipeline would have been a big help in doing that,with minimal risk of enironmental damage.

and it's guaranteed to stay low for years to come.

( good grief)

Of course since liberals WANT expensive gas, this pipeline wasn't in the game plan.

Most people do, though, so the pipeline would have been a big help in doing that,with minimal risk of enironmental damage.

Is that how you see it?.................... Look out for the little green men from Mars........

I haven't seen anything that says they found an acual leak. i also didn't find anywhere saying testing was done to determine if it was the same oil they are piping.

I like facts people!

Some activist could have just jumped oil in the ground. If it wasn't tested, this might be a criminal case instead.

UPDATE
Latest TransCanada spill is why President Obama rejected Keystone XL
Latest TransCanada spill is why President Obama rejected Keystone XL

“TransCanada delivers what local residents and landowners feared most about the Keystone XL pipeline; oil spills.”

“…………… the Keystone XL pipeline reared its ugly head again and the corporate media never paid attention because Republicans championing the ecological disaster were not the source of the news. One of the primary concerns to landowners in near proximity to the proposed pipeline was a tar sand leak that has dangerous levels of benzene and a tendency to sink through soil until it saturates the ground and percolates back to the surface. There was “an event” in South Dakota over the weekend in a TransCanada pipeline that the company tried to keep quiet and no South Dakota Republican said a single word. The conservative media has been silent on the “event” as well………….

……….. the thing local residents and landowners feared most about the Keystone XL pipeline was realized by a Hutchinson County, South Dakota land owner. The landowner, Loren Schulz, noticed there was something different about the appearance of the water and quickly discovered there was oil in the surface water near the Keystone pipeline’s right-of-way and reported the spill…………

……. It took an entire day, but Canadian corporation TransCanada finally arrived on the scene and shut down the portion of the Keystone pipeline which originates in Alberta, Canada and goes to Steele City, Nebraska. This part of the pipeline was not the embattled northern Keystone XL route rejected last year by President Obama; TransCanada has been transporting tar sands crude through its extensive renamed “Gulf Coast” pipeline network for some years……….

………… To demonstrate the power a foreign oil corporation wields over America, it was also impossible to document by photography the spill site or contaminated soil and water from the sky………. FAA close off airspace for a foreign corporation is a big problem. We want to take our own pictures. With 100 clean-up workers on site, we have a right to be taking our own pictures and finding out our own information.” ……..
………….. What is criminal is that if not for an observant landowner, it appears that TransCanada would have ignored the spill if it was not picked up by local media. If nothing else, TransCanada failed to have adequate and required safety measures in place to know there was a leak, but safety is about as important to a foreign corporation as regulations they willfully refuse to conform to.”

I seem to recall spills like this were seldom to ever happen…………. And if there were to be a spill there would be a rapid response to mitigate the damage……
But how in hell can they do that if they do not even know there is a leak ……………… Is someone here a liar? And thank the GL the project was canned by Obama…
ALSO SEE:
TransCanada Crews Looking At Potential Pipeline Leak Near Freeman
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/opinion/the-dangers-of-diluted-bitumen-oil.html
Biological effects and toxicity of diluted bitumen and its constituents in freshwater systems. - PubMed - NCBI
Feds recorded 100 pipeline spills and accidents in the last two years
http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/comm/re...5010/320155010_NOPV PCP PCO_11202015_text.pdf

UPDATE

https://www.rt.com/usa/338845-keystone-oil-spill-dakota/
Keystone pipeline leaked 16,000 gallons ....

…………“Keystone pipeline leaked 16,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota field”……….

“TransCanada estimated on Thursday that about 16,800 gallons of oil leak in a field in South Dakota from the Keystone I pipeline. The spill, discovered by a farmer over the weekend, led the company to close down the pipeline. The company reported the estimate to the National Response Center and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Administration which is equivalent to 400 barrels of oil, according to the Associated Press.

Whereas the company first reported the leak was only 168 barrels………… It must have been an over-sight leave off the other 2 zeros…… surely a typo …

……….The company began excavating the site on Sunday in a field close the town of Freeman, South Dakota, by turning over topsoil. It said they exposed more than 100 feet of pipe, and the estimate comes from oil being observed in the soil, and the potential area affected. There are about 100 workers at the site working around the clock to pinpoint the source of the leak in the pipeline…………..

………….“The volume estimate reported this morning to the National Response Centre (NRC) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Administration (PHMSA) was based on the safe excavation of soil to expose more than 100 feet of pipe,” Cooper wrote, according to the Angus Leader. “It takes into account a number of factors, including oil observed in the soil and the potential area impacted.” …………

The[is] spill’s close proximity to the James and Missouri rivers and worried that the “groundwater contamination is heading to Yankton, Vermillion, Sioux City... The leak is the fifth in the state for Keystone I………. .

………..DENR’s spill map shows three releases of petroleum in 2010 and one in 2011, one of which took place at the same pump station in 2010, when less than five gallons were released due to a fitting leak, according to the Argus Leader. ………..

………. TransCanada’s Keystone I pipeline carries light and heavy crude from Hardisty, Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Oklahoma, while passing through the eastern Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. The Keystone I pipeline can handle 550,000 barrels, or about 23 million gallons, daily………… “

First they said spillages were not expected……… and if so their response would immediate …………… and what do they do?
One day after the leak began…….and the company had to find out by a call from a concerned citizen……… and then they lie saying it was 186 barrels when in fact it was 186 thousand………
Thank the GL that Obama killed the Keystone pipeline expansion……..

UPDATE

Cleanup continues at Keystone spill site, more contaminated soil found
Cleanup continues at Keystone spill site, more contaminated soil found

“One of the two landowners directly impacted by the April 2 spill said Tuesday he noticed an uptick in heavy digging on his property. Rains had slowed the work somewhat in the days before. ……..

………. “When that crew showed up this morning, they did some serious digging again,” Galen Heckenlaible said……….

…………. Heckenlaible also said nearly two rows of trees have been removed since the work began. The initial work to discover the source of the slow leak exposed more than 100 feet of pipe………….

“It’s more than I ever expected it to be,” Heckenlaible said……….

The pipe line company described the leak as “about 187 gallons of crude oil spilled” ………… when in fact the leak spilled about 16800 not 187 gallons of oil……….Just a small oversight by the pipeline operator……..

Back
Top Bottom