• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Traditional services v. Contemporary services

Vote:

• Traditional

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Contemporary

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If you have to choose between a very traditional church service or a very contemporary church service, which would you prefer?

If you have to choose between a very traditional church service or a very contemporary church service, which would you prefer?

A mix of the two. I still have a thing for the old hymns, but I love contemporary style as well.

Depends on what's passing for contemporary at the moment. The nice part of traditional services is that you know what to expect, you know the timing. Strictly speaking though, I prefer a choir to whatever garage type band is playing that day.

I don't like extremes on either end, but I prefer contemporary. For me what is important largely is the content of the sermon. Traditional services tend to be more legalistic in preaching, contemporary services tend to be more loose and less bound by Biblical truth while pushing fluff with no content.

As far as music goes I like contemporary, but traditional isn't bad.

I'll never forget my father swore he would never attend church again when the Catholic Church stopped the full latin mass - he never returned. I was much involved in the Catholic Church and Catholic schools in my younger years, but I have stopped practicing the faith because of the church's rigidity and the corruption within.

I now attend the church of common sense and put what I learned to practical use without the ceremony and guilt the Catholic Church feeds on.

As a Catholic I much prefer the traditional mass. I enjoy the hymns but we don't need one between each reading and if I want to see a rock concert I'd rather do so somewhere other than church.

I don't like extremes on either end, but I prefer contemporary. For me what is important largely is the content of the sermon. Traditional services tend to be more legalistic in preaching, contemporary services tend to be more loose and less bound by Biblical truth while pushing fluff with no content.

As far as music goes I like contemporary, but traditional isn't bad.

This actually surprises me, digs. :)

Kind of an impossible question for me, since my religion's only about forty years old, but it's trying to recreate an extinct religious tradition dating backwards from a thousand years ago.

But I prefer English to Old Norse for my rituals, and I prefer modern "Sunday best" to traditional costume, so I'm voting "Contemporary".

You have to pick one!!! *mean face* :)

I can't pick one; I love both. I was brought up a "frozen chosen," LOL, but expanded my horizons. In fact, because I attend several black Gospel concerts a year, I have the opportunity to experience a fullness in worship that once was very foreign to me.

I can't pick one; I love both. I was brought up a "frozen chosen," LOL, but expanded my horizons. In fact, because I attend several black Gospel concerts a year, I have the opportunity to experience a fullness in worship that once was very foreign to me.

Frozen chosen?

We always call the contemporary services "happy clappy".

Traditional for Sunday morning services. Other times, I don't care so much.

As a Catholic I much prefer the traditional mass. I enjoy the hymns but we don't need one between each reading and if I want to see a rock concert I'd rather do so somewhere other than church.

I agree, when a church tries to make religion "cool" or "hip" or whatever, it cheapens it, as if it isn't valuable on it's own merits, and it doesn't really help.

And yet there are many people who are "reached" by contemp services in a way that traditional services never did.

I prefer a traditional service.

Hey CJ....hope all's well! Are you still a Christian? I don't attend church anymore either, but don't blame Jesus for how these people are corrupting our churches.

I'll never forget my father swore he would never attend church again when the Catholic Church stopped the full latin mass - he never returned. I was much involved in the Catholic Church and Catholic schools in my younger years, but I have stopped practicing the faith because of the church's rigidity and the corruption within.

I now attend the church of common sense and put what I learned to practical use without the ceremony and guilt the Catholic Church feeds on.

Hey CJ....hope all's well! Are you still a Christian? I don't attend church anymore either, but don't blame Jesus for how these people are corrupting our churches.

Hi JC - all good here, hope all is good with you in bankruptcy central.

As for being a Christian, I'm no longer a religious person but I consider myself christian-like in that I try to live my life in a manner consistent with the many good things I learned in my younger days. Whether I'm succeeding or not is for others to decide.

Oh, peachy. Fortunately I only get to hear about it from the suburbs and not experience it.

As for being a Christian, I'm no longer a religious person but I consider myself christian-like in that I try to live my life in a manner consistent with the many good things I learned in my younger days. Whether I'm succeeding or not is for others to decide.

I'd say you exhibit Christian traits more than most Christians I've known.

Oh, peachy. Fortunately I only get to hear about it from the suburbs and not experience it.

I'd say you exhibit Christian traits more than most Christians I've known.

Thanks very kindly sir, I'd say the same of you as well!!!

CJ, after giving this some thought, I've come to the conclusion that you are doing very excellently so far! :thumbs: Thoughtful posts, polite manner, great sense of humor, knowledgeable on a wide range of topics, willing to consider other points of view...what's not to like? :2bow:

:agree

Afternoon Pg :2wave:

CJ, after giving this some thought, I've come to the conclusion that you are doing very excellently so far! :thumbs: Thoughtful posts, polite manner, great sense of humor, knowledgeable on a wide range of topics, willing to consider other points of view...what's not to like? :2bow:

Thank you kind lady, but keep it up and my swelled head will be very unattractive. You just don't see my other side because you're always just as you describe me, and it's a pleasure to converse with you.

Back
Top Bottom