• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Traditional marriage is something that should be protected and never changed

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We often hear how important tradition is to marriage and how the old school values of marriage should be protected from those who would seek to change them.

'I'm Better off Dead' 11-Year Old Escapes Arranged Marraige (Video) - YouTube

I really cannot say it much better than the 11 year old in the video.

These are the values of traditional marriage which should not be violated because it is sanctified by god and laid out in scripture in the Torah, Bible, and the Koran. These values are sanctified religious values put forth by the prophets and saviors representing god and who are we to argue with them? Who are our governments to step in and say they are wrong? Who do the people who seek to change these values think they are by going against tradition?

Traditional marriage is not worth protecting by the government.

I don't know why you keep perverting the truth. You know damn well that that's not traditional marriage according to the western world. That's child abuse and child molestation and it's pretty much illegal here.
That's just traditional marriage according to islam which isn't our way.

Stop being absurd. Stop making a fool of yourself.

We often hear how important tradition is to marriage and how the old school values of marriage should be protected from those who would seek to change them.

'I'm Better off Dead' 11-Year Old Escapes Arranged Marraige (Video) - YouTube

I really cannot say it much better than the 11 year old in the video.

These are the values of traditional marriage which should not be violated because it is sanctified by god and laid out in scripture in the Torah, Bible, and the Koran. These values are sanctified religious values put forth by the prophets and saviors representing god and who are we to argue with them? Who are our governments to step in and say they are wrong? Who do the people who seek to change these values think they are by going against tradition?

Traditional marriage is not worth protecting by the government.

Traditional marriage should be encouraged by our government. There is no question that children do better in two-parent households. And our legal system, as it presently sits, is better at sorting out pots and pans when people are married. We just need to tweak the definition of "two-parent" and "traditional."

I guess it depends on which tradition you're talking about. "Traditional marriage" will mean something different to different groups of people, so I'm not sure an 11-year old's view on arranged marriages w/adults is necessarily reflective of the norm.

Not that I think the "traditional marriage" argument holds much water in the gay marriage fight, but still...

I don't know why you keep perverting the truth. You know damn well that that's not traditional marriage according to the western world. That's child abuse and child molestation and it's pretty much illegal here.
That's just traditional marriage according to islam which isn't our way.

Stop being absurd. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Actually, that is the traditional marriage. Arranged marriages at a young age is the traditional form of marriage for the world. it has existed in almost every culture, and on every continent across many religions. It is practiced in the middle east, asia, america, europe, and africa. This is what traditional marriage is, and if it is something that is wrong then there is no reason to oppose changes.

Traditional marriage should be encouraged by our government. There is no question that children do better in two-parent households. And our legal system, as it presently sits, is better at sorting out pots and pans when people are married. We just need to tweak the definition of "two-parent" and "traditional."

But if we change it then it is not traditional. I agree the family unit is often better with two parents contributing, but that would just be marriage or modern marriage. traditional marriage would be what was practiced in the past traditionally and that includes a lot of things that are changing across societies. Perhaps it is time to abandon tradition in lieu of a modern view of the family unit?

Perhaps it is time to abandon tradition in lieu of a modern view of the family unit?

I thought that's exactly what I said when I said this: We just need to tweak the definition of "two-parent" and "traditional."

I think we agree.

Who cares. Government should not be involved in what is "traditionally" a religious rite.

Furthermore, it's no ones business but the two individuals who gets married. I don't care if it's two men, two women, a man and a goat, a woman and a piece of fruit. WHO CARES? IT'S NOT AFFECTING YOU. Don't like it, then marry another human of the opposite sex. Control what you have control over, and of the rest...fk off.

...and to all the whiners who talk about government "bennies" involved with marriage? Sounds like you're more interested in a "business arrangement" than a marriage. Check yourself.

There is no question that children do better in two-parent households. And our legal system, as it presently sits, is better at sorting out pots and pans when people are married. We just need to tweak the definition of "two-parent" and "traditional."

I'm ok with that statement if you mean "two parent regardless of gender of parents".

Back
Top Bottom