• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tracking Down Jefferson Quote

Jim Hallmark

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hello, forum!

I'm trying to track down what I believe is a quote by Jefferson I came across some weeks ago. It may not have been Jefferson, but it was definitely one of the Founders. Your expertise will be greatly appreciated!

The quote was something to the effect of: 'If the states hadn't existed, they would have needed to be invented'.

The statement was in the context of federalism and the view that the divided power between the federal and state levels was a good thing.

Since I don't have the exact language right, finding it on Google has been impossible. Help!

(Thanks.)

Hello, forum!

I'm trying to track down what I believe is a quote by Jefferson I came across some weeks ago. It may not have been Jefferson, but it was definitely one of the Founders. Your expertise will be greatly appreciated!

The quote was something to the effect of: 'If the states hadn't existed, they would have needed to be invented'.

The statement was in the context of federalism and the view that the divided power between the federal and state levels was a good thing.

Since I don't have the exact language right, finding it on Google has been impossible. Help
!

(Thanks.)

I looked around a bit,but, didn't find it. If I have time later, I may look more.

You do know that Jefferson was one of a group of wealthy white men who owned slaves who joined together to fight Great Britain for their freedom, but after they won the Revolutionary War, did not free their slaves?

To me that is ample proof that they were all flawed human beings.

Jefferson played an important part in America's history, but I do not see him as a really good man.aaaaif he had been a really good man he would have not only freed his slaves, he would have worked a lot harder to end the practice of slavery in the USA, and of course if he had been a really good man he wouldn't have had sex with his female slaves.

He was what he was: A deeply flawed human being with a lot of ability who could have left himself a better history.

Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Last edited:
I looked around a bit,but, didn't find it. If I have time later, I may look more.

You do know that Jefferson was one of a group of wealthy white men who owned slaves who joined together to fight Great Britain for their freedom, but after they won the Revolutionary War, did not free their slaves?

Jefferson played an important part in America's history, but I do not see him as a really good man.aaaaif he had been a really good man he would have not only freed his slaves, he would have worked a lot harder to end the practice of slavery in the USA, and of course if he had been a really good man he wouldn't have had sex with his female slaves.

He was what he was: A deeply flawed human being with a lot of ability who could have left himself a better history.

Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Diatribe much?

Hello, forum!

Since I don't have the exact language right, finding it on Google has been impossible. Help!

(Thanks.)

I am not sure myself of your quote, but you could try James Madison in federalist 39

You are great at posting stuff that is totally irrelevant to the topic. You'll be lucky to have contributed one tenth of what Jefferson did in his lifetime. So dont preach to the rest of us about flawed human beings.

You are great at posting stuff that is totally irrelevant to the topic. You'll be lucky to have contributed one tenth of what Jefferson did in his lifetime
. So dont preach to the rest of us about flawed human beings.

Who forces you to read anything that I post?

If you don't like the comments that I post, just scroll on by and ignore them.

It's your choice. I couldn't care less whether you read my posts, or not. Won't cost me a nickel either way.

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." ~ John Stuart Mill.

Last edited:
You are great at posting stuff that is totally irrelevant to the topic.
You'll be lucky to have contributed one tenth of what Jefferson did in his lifetime. So dont preach to the rest of us about flawed human beings.

Thomas Jefferson was not only a flawed human being, history shows that he was a slave owner and a racist.
He had some of his slaves who escaped and were recaptured flogged and he fathered children with at least one of his female slaves, Sally Hemings, who was Jefferson's own wives half sister.

Jefferson made very little effort to free his own or other slaves.

Thomas Jefferson was not a good man.

I certainly don't see him as a person who anyone should emulate.

But, hey, if you want to hold him up as a model, get after it.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Last edited:
Thomas Jefferson was not only a flawed human being, history shows that he was a slave owner and a racist.
He had some of his slaves who escaped and were recaptured flogged and he fathered children with at least one of his female slaves, Sally Hemings, who was Jefferson's own wives half sister.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Yeah, and in the long run every black man is better off for his contribution to creating the framework of this nation. I doubt you are any better. In fact your own liberty is due to his effort.

All human beings are flawed. I am probably the closest to perfect as there has ever been. Maybe someday one of my descendants will break through that modesty gene that holds us back, but who knows (well other than me)

Fisher;1062224732[B said:
]All human beings are flawed. I am probably the closest to perfect as there has ever been. Maybe someday one of my descendants will break through that modesty gene that holds us back, but who knows (well other than me[/B])

I thought that I had made a mistake once, but later I discovered that I hadn't, so my record is still perfect, right?

I'm curious to know who you consider to be a "good" man.

I'm curious to know who you consider to be a "good" man.

Abraham Lincoln would be at the top of my list if we're talking about politicians.Thomas Jefferson would be towards the bottom, he did some good things but he was a racist, a slave owner, and a deeply flawed man.

Last edited:

Abraham Lincoln would be at the top of my list if we're talking about politicians.Thomas Jefferson would be towards the bottom, he did some good things but he was a racist, a slave owner, and a deeply flawed man.

and so was ABE.

How about some quotes from the great Civil Rights Act of 1964 democrat president?

LBJ didn't own black people but he thought he did.

“I'll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years. [Touting his underlying intentions for the "Great Society" programs, LBJ confided with two like-minded governors on Air Force One]”
― Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson Quotes (Author of Taking Charge)

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062226727 said:
How about some quotes from the great Civil Rights Act of 1964 democrat president?

LBJ didn't own black people but he thought he did.

Lyndon B. Johnson Quotes (Author of Taking Charge)

If you look at Johnson's entire history, on balance he did a lot more for Blacks and other minority groups than most American Presidents. What I don't like about Johnson is the way that he mishandled the Vietnam War.

He did use the same not-politically-correct- language that a lot of Southern White people his age used at that time.

The man has been dead and buried for quite a while. If you want to go dig him up and criticize him for what you see as his mis-deeds to his face, get after it if that makes you feel good.

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance. It only organizes hatred." ~ Jacques Barzun

Last edited:
If you look at Johnson's entire history, on balance he did a lot more for Blacks and other minority groups than most American Presidents. What I don't like about Johnson is the way that he mishandled the Vietnam War.

He did use the same not-politically-correct- language that a lot of Southern White people his age used at that time.

The man has been dead and buried for quite a while. If you want to go dig him up and criticize him for what you see as his mis-deeds to his face, get after it if that makes you feel good.

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance. It only organizes hatred." ~ Jacques Barzun

What a hypocrite; and you the same with Jefferson.

You are correct. Roger Wilkins, who was a black Assistant Attorney General under LBJ, has said this in an interview of him:

ROGER WILKINS: In the cabinet room before we were sent to Detroit when the President had decided to send U.S. troops in, he wanted to make sure that the U.S. troops didn't kill anybody. And he said it in colorful language. He said it to us, who were going out there to direct the operation, he said it to the general who was in charge of the 82nd airborne. "I don't want any bullets in those guns! I don't--do you understand me? I don't want any bullets in those guns!" He got worked up, and "I don't want it said that one of my soldiers shot a pregnant ni-." And he looked at me and his face got red, and I understood. I understood that Ja--that Johnson was a coarse guy, he was a southerner, he said "nigger", but, he was embarrassed and he was ashamed of himself, and he later apologized.

Source: Interview with Roger Wilkins

Hello, forum!

(Thanks.)

Here is a link to a database of quotes.
Quotes Database | We Still Hold These Truths
I've used it a couple of times. Maybe it will help.

Lincoln was a racist. He just believed the fact blacks were inferior did not justify blacks being enslaved.

While on a personal level Jefferson cannot be defended he probably did as much as he could to at least reduce the spread of slavery. There was no political solution to ending slavery.

Lincoln was a racist. He just believed the fact blacks were inferior did not justify blacks being enslaved.

While on a personal level Jefferson cannot be defended he probably did as much as he could to at least reduce the spread of slavery. There was no political solution to ending slavery.

But there was a solution and Lincoln found it with a little help from some Southern rebels.

But there was a solution and Lincoln found it with a little help from some Southern rebels.

In 1790 the North did not have as great an economic edge over the South as it did in 1860. There is no guarantee the North would have won a war in 1790.

Back
Top Bottom