• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Toy Pony Sparks Bomb Scare In Orlando

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Toy Pony Sparks Bomb Scare In Orlando - News Story - WFTV Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A child's toy sparked a bomb scare late Tuesday morning. The Orange County Bomb Squad was on scene investigating a suspicious package, which was a toy pony, on Whisper Glen Court in Orlando. Just before noon it was blown up. Officers told WFTV that a concerned citizen called it in.

(*loud sigh*)

A toy pony? Near an elementary school? HOW HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS! Clearly our only option is to blow it up!

Look, I know once the bomb squad is called out, they're really supposed to take the "better safe than sorry" route, but how did we come to the point where a toy sitting near an elementary school is "suspicious?" War on terror, eh? Seems to me that we lost that one.

The sheriff's office says it doesn't keep track of how much an incident like that costs taxpayers.

:doh

And some hilarious photos! :D

Changed my mind. Totally worth it.

Wonder what the kid whose pony it was thinks?

Edit: This is almost "News of the Weird" material... :lol:

Last edited:
Wonder what the kid whose pony it was thinks?

Edit: This is almost "News of the Weird" material... :lol:

Oh man now you made me picture a little girl crying and asking her mom why the bad men wont give Princess back.

Now I'm sad :(

Oh man now you made me picture a little girl crying and asking her mom why the bad men wont give Princess back.

Now I'm sad :(

Don't be sad. You can look at the pictures you posted of the pony going BOOM. That is funny stuff right there.

Next time, let's do nothing. Then, it turns out to be a, "wet run", by some psycho and kills a few pre-schoolers. How funny will it be, then?

Next time, let's do nothing. Then, it turns out to be a, "wet run", by some psycho and kills a few pre-schoolers. How funny will it be, then?

Appeal to emotion [and appeal to a statistically miniscule probability] much? :roll

We've lost it, IMO, if we use THIS argument to justify being fearful over A TOY ****ING PONY BY A ****ING SCHOOL!

Seriously, have we lost all touch with rational reality?

Appeal to emotion [and appeal to a statistically miniscule probability] much? :roll

We've lost it, IMO, if we use THIS argument to justify being fearful over A TOY ****ING PONY BY A ****ING SCHOOL!

It isn't even that. There are other ways of dealing with it aside from blowing it up. I mean that was funny don't get me wrong, but they didn't need to blow it up.

Ok. So at what point do we decide that we're just wasting time and resources jumping at shadows? What isn't suspicious enough to warrant investigation? There's a car outside my apartment building. It has a New York license plate. (this is Minnesota!) Fairly new, might be a rental. Maybe there's a bomb in it. Better safe than sorry.

Oh ****. That was my car. The insurance company isn't going to like this.

Sadly, no.

In all seriousness, it COULD have been a cleverly disguised bomb.

I mean, using a toy that by design has batteries and wires/electric powered parts?

What better camouflage for a bomb?

And what better target than our kids, to cause terror?

Edit: However, this is a good point:
Ok. So at what point do we decide that we're just wasting time and resources jumping at shadows? What isn't suspicious enough to warrant investigation? There's a car outside my apartment building. It has a New York license plate. (this is Minnesota!) Fairly new, might be a rental. Maybe there's a bomb in it. Better safe than sorry.

Where DO you draw the line?

Last edited:
Sadly, no.

In all seriousness, it COULD have been a cleverly disguised bomb.

I mean, using a toy that by design has batteries and wires/electric powered parts?

What better camouflage for a bomb?

And what better target than our kids, to cause terror?

Edit: However, this is a good point:

You know what would also work?

A loaf of bread. Nobody would ever suspect that loaf of bread in the supermarket is a bomb.

When I say we've lost the war on terror, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

W're talking about the children's lives. Can we really be too safe? I mean, it's a toy pony, that got blowed up by the bomb squad. It turned to be nothing. What if nothing was done and it turned out to be a frag and killed a half dozen kids? I guess then, you would be screaming, "why didn't someone do something?".

There's nothing wrong with a little dilegence.

W're talking about the children's lives.

Honestly, I don't care WHOSE lives we're talking about, nor do I think it matters.

Lines STILL have to be drawn.

I mean, it's a toy pony, that got blowed up by the bomb squad. It turned to be nothing. What if nothing was done and it turned out to be a frag and killed a half dozen kids?

A frag, fitting in something small like that? Is that even possible, or even LIKELY given how these things are constructed?

It would be tragic if hypothetically it happened, but it does not give us full proxy to go absolutely nuts and bury ourselves deeper into fear like we've been doing since 9-11.

There's nothing wrong with a little dilegence

Dilligence =/= paranoia, jumping at shadows.

I guess then, you would be screaming, "why didn't someone do something?".

I guess, if you really think you can call victory by putting words/thoughts into people's heads.

Last edited:
W're talking about the children's lives. Can we really be too safe? I mean, it's a toy pony, that got blowed up by the bomb squad. It turned to be nothing. What if nothing was done and it turned out to be a frag and killed a half dozen kids? I guess then, you would be screaming, "why didn't someone do something?".

There's nothing wrong with a little dilegence.

There are dozens of children in my building. We should call the bomb squad to check out every one of those cars in the parking lot, right? I mean, it's children we're talking about here. Maybe every time I bring home groceries, we should have a bomb squad crew there to check the contents. I mean, think of the children!

As much as I hate reductio ad absurdum, really, I have to do it to demonstrate this point. At what points do we cross from careful to paranoid to insane?

There are dozens of children in my building. We should call the bomb squad to check out every one of those cars in the parking lot, right? I mean, it's children we're talking about here. Maybe every time I bring home groceries, we should have a bomb squad crew there to check the contents. I mean, think of the children!

As much as I hate reductio ad absurdum, really, I have to do it to demonstrate this point. At what points do we cross from careful to paranoid to insane?

Obviously, you're being rediculous, but what if there was a suitcase, that was suspiciously left in the corridor? You're just going to ingnore it? Sooner, or later, common sense has to come into the picture.

Honestly, I don't care WHOSE lives we're talking about, nor do I think it matters.

Lines STILL have to be drawn.

A frag, fitting in something small like that? Is that even possible, or even LIKELY given how these things are constructed?

It would be tragic if hypothetically it happened, but it does not give us full proxy to go absolutely nuts and bury ourselves deeper into fear like we've been doing since 9-11.

Dilligence =/= paranoia, jumping at shadows.

I guess, if you really think you can call victory by putting words/thoughts into people's heads.

This is a fragmentation grenade. Ask yourself: is it smaller than that toy pony? Would you take it seriously if this weapon were lying in a school yard?

0.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously, you're being rediculous, but what if there was a suitcase, that was suspiciously left in the corridor? You're just going to ingnore it? Sooner, or later, common sense has to come into the picture.

So you're admitting now that there is a line. Which is funny, because when I said there needed to be a line before you acted like I wanted to put children in danger.
WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN, APDST?

So you're admitting now that there is a line. Which is funny, because when I said there needed to be a line before you acted like I wanted to put children in danger.
WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN, APDST?

Is that really your best retort? First, you say I'm being paranoid, now you're saying that I'm not being paranoid enough and I hate children? How old are you?

Is that really your best retort? First, you say I'm being paranoid, now you're saying that I'm not being paranoid enough and I hate children? How old are you?

I understand that satire/sarcasm don't always convey well via text, but seriously? You're seriously asking this?

I understand that satire/sarcasm don't always convey well via text, but seriously? You're seriously asking this?

It plays very well with me. But, I have to ask why, when you lose an argument, you run to that style of response for shelter.

Why can't you just admit that sometimes, it makes sense to be a little more careful, rather than taking the, "you be paranoid", route?

Do you lock your doors at night? Or would that be being paranoid?

How do you leave a suitcase innocently, as opposed to suspiciously?

Consider the circumstances. Is it likely that Al-Quaeda sat in a cave in Afghanistan and planned to detonate a toy horse in turning circle near a park and a school, in the belief that that would finally bring America to its knees? You have to think it's unlikely.

Last edited:
It plays very well with me. But, I have to ask why, when you lose an argument, you run to that style of response for shelter.

Why can't you just admit that sometimes, it makes sense to be a little more careful, rather than taking the, "you be paranoid", route?

Do you lock your doors at night? Or would that be being paranoid?

If you'd interpreted my post properly you wouldn't have asked those questions that you did. So, clearly you missed the satire.

Let's review the conversation:

Me: This pony thing means we're being too paranoid.
You: What if it WAS a bomb? Think of the children!
Me: Ok, but at what point do we cross into crazy? Here's a crazy example. Where's the line?
You: (Dodges the question by any means necessary, tries to reverse it back to Deuce)

You tell me, apdst. When does common sense dictate that no, in fact, this is not a bomb and treating it like one is paranoid?

I've already given my opinion: A child's toy placed strangely near a place where children play is pretty normal and non-suspicious to anyone who has spent a significant amount of time around children.

Last edited:
holy crap. Yes, we have lost the 'war on terror' if we're blowing up toy ponies because they look "suspicious". Jesus ****ing christ. People need to get a ****ing grip.

holy crap. Yes, we have lost the 'war on terror' if we're blowing up toy ponies because they look "suspicious". Jesus ****ing christ. People need to get a ****ing grip.

you don't understand, it could have been a frag grenade.

Back
Top Bottom