• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Toxic salmon?

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Does DP have a site that discusses food? Or maybe start one?

The wild salmon season is over and what is now available is the farmed kind. However, I heard that people should avoid farm raised salmon
because the fish are being fed something toxic in the feed?! Anyone know anything about this? If true does anyone know why this is done?

The wild salmon season is over and what is now available is the farmed kind. However, I heard that people should avoid farm raised salmon
because the fish are being fed something toxic in the feed?! Anyone know anything about this? If true does anyone know why this is done?

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard....

If the fish were being fed something toxic don't you think THEY would die via toxic poisoning before they even hit your plate?

Now it is true that Tuna has high levels of mercury.

I have not heard anything about toxic salmon however, don't buy British canned salmon or ... face the consequences.

Farmed vs. Wild Salmon :: Washington State Dept. of Health
Today, most of the salmon available for us to eat is farmed. Early studies reported high levels of PCBs and other contaminants in farmed salmon – higher than in some species of wild salmon, such as pink salmon. Follow-up studies haven't confirmed this and the consensus among scientists and regulators is that farmed salmon and wild salmon are safe foods.

Farmed salmon available in Washington state markets is produced in Washington State, Canada, Maine, or Chile. Studies on salmon from these sources have shown low levels of organic contaminants in the fish. Strict rules on contaminant levels in feed ingredients are now in place. Changes in feed have lowered contaminant levels in these fish.

How Dangerous Is Farmed Salmon?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/30/farmed-salmon-exposed.aspx

Now you just have to decide if you believe the govt.

The issue with most farm raised fish is overcrowding. It does not provide space for disipation of fish poop so the fish are swiming in toilets that dont flush. Toxic may or may not be a good term to use but you can judge for yourself what you think of it.
Talapia has the same problems. Wild is best (albiet mercury issues) but that is very hard to know if you dont catch it yourself.

The issue with most farm raised fish is overcrowding. It does not provide space for disipation of fish poop so the fish are swiming in toilets that dont flush. Toxic may or may not be a good term to use but you can judge for yourself what you think of it.
Talapia has the same problems. Wild is best (albiet mercury issues) but that is very hard to know if you dont catch it yourself.

Fish poop is in fish and salmon aren't bottom feeders.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with farm raised salmon.

All food contains poison. You should stop eating any of it, or eventually, you'll die.

Back
Top Bottom