• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Toxic Masculinity and Toxic Femininity

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
How would you define the terms? Who are some examples of people who display these characteristics? I'm sure most of us can agree on one very famous person in particular....

How about toxic femininity (do you know how hard it was to spell that word?). Any examples of that? What would that look like?

How would you define the terms? Who are some examples of people who display these characteristics? I'm sure most of us can agree on one very famous person in particular....

How about toxic femininity (do you know how hard it was to spell that word?). Any examples of that? What would that look like?
Maybe a 'black widow' who lures men with her wiles and then kills them for their $$?

Generally, if the person is a narcissist and the identity that fuels that narcissism is based on their perceived gender role, they are a good example of that toxicity. Specific expressions of that may vary from person to person though.

They're undefinable terms. They are part of the rhetorical "shell game" played over the last couple of decades. It's word created to stereotype people. Toxic Masculinity is coined to include negative behaviors that are thought to be part of being male - violent, overbearing, overly competitive, etc. - and then they start packing it with other characteristics so that it just becomes a way to bash "traditional" masculinity. We go from "toxic masculinity" is when guinea-t wearing, beer swillers beat their wives, to guys who open car doors for dates and insist on paying for the dinner/drinks are exhibiting "toxic masculinity."

And, of course, generally speaking the Left says "toxic feminity" does not exist, because only males can be "toxic" since they wield the power in our society. Like racism to them means "prejudice plus power", so to does sexism and toxicity. Women can behave badly, but it's not "toxic femininity."

They're undefinable terms. They are part of the rhetorical "shell game" played over the last couple of decades. It's word created to stereotype people. Toxic Masculinity is coined to include negative behaviors that are thought to be part of being male - violent, overbearing, overly competitive, etc. - and then they start packing it with other characteristics so that it just becomes a way to bash "traditional" masculinity. We go from "toxic masculinity" is when guinea-t wearing, beer swillers beat their wives, to guys who open car doors for dates and insist on paying for the dinner/drinks are exhibiting "toxic masculinity."

And, of course, generally speaking the Left says "toxic feminity" does not exist, because only males can be "toxic" since they wield the power in our society. Like racism to them means "prejudice plus power", so to does sexism and toxicity. Women can behave badly, but it's not "toxic femininity."
Incorrect

The thing that typically defines this is narcissism and the resulting shame (whether causing or accepting shame) based behaviors that stem from that. If you look at it from a mental health instead of a cultural perspective, its pretty easy to define. Being socially policed to not allow someone to be consistent with who they are on the inside and outside is the key concept here. It comes from a perspective that fulfillment is more important than filling some social role or being part of some social hierarchy which is inherently repressive.

Identifying it can be somewhat tricky because sometimes people want to act a certain way and it brings them joy and fulfillment. That is fine as long as they are a) not shaming others for not acting that way and b) realizing that its for them and those who also make a positive choice to work within that paradigm. Some people want to be in a hierarchy of one type or another and that's fine for them as long as they don't push others to do that same. (People find their tribes, in other words).

That concept can be called positivity.

Last edited:
The thing Tucker's doing now. Claiming males are sissy boys, then he does this documentary with all the homo-erotic images of shitless man swinging axes at live trees and lifting stuff. But I digress.

@Josie know what TM is. One of our posters, @MrNiceGuy I think rendered the best explanation. But our OP is going to ignore that. I don't feel our OP wants mature debate. I feel our OP's intent is only to antagonize and we should not take the bait.

Cheers everyone.

The thing Tucker's doing now. Claiming males are sissy boys, then he does this documentary with all the homo-erotic images of shitless man swinging axes at live trees and lifting stuff. But I digress.

@Josie know what TM is. One of our posters, @MrNiceGuy I think rendered the best explanation. But our OP is going to ignore that. I don't feel our OP wants mature debate. I feel our OP's intent is only to antagonize and we should not take the bait.

Cheers everyone.

Baiting everyone ……. into a discussion? The horror!

Toxic femininity to me seems like it has been even more exploited due to social media. One example is the image to want to have the best curves, the best things, and of course the perfect flawless face with nice plump lips. Not real life but the illusion of being perfect at everything. Things I stay away from.

Baiting everyone ……. into a discussion? The horror!
Haven't seen a thoughtful comment from you yet. I'm sure one will be coming soon.

Wrong. Toxic masculinity is a set of behaviours that actually harm men. For example, a man suppressing his emotions because crying is seen as weak, or not going to the doctor with a problem because you want to look like a tough guy.

No one is saying masculinity or being a man is bad or wrong.

They fall into the same category as calling someone racist, transphobe, etc., labels to diminish and silence people one disagrees with. They don’t mean anything.

Which very famous person are you referring to?

Wrong. Toxic masculinity is a set of behaviours that actually harm men. For example, a man suppressing his emotions because crying is seen as weak, or not going to the doctor with a problem because you want to look like a tough guy.

No one is saying masculinity or being a man is bad or wrong.
Those are just re-wording negative stereotypes and tropes about men. Such stereotypes are never accepted when directed about women, like "women are naturally more nurturing," is a rejected stereotype because it makes a generalization about women because they are women. The same is true about "men suppress their emotions," which is a negative generalization about "men" in general. Another way to put it might be that men express their emotions and/or handle their emotions differently. It can also be negative to be too expressive of emotions, but we can't properly stereotype women as overly emotional or "hysterical," etc.

A man crying is not always a sign of weakness, anyway. There are many women who view a man who in certain circumstances cannot hold back tears over a sensitive issue (like his daughter's wedding or something) as quite manly. My mom used to love it when Michael Landon cried on Little House on the Praire (TV show).

It is saying "masculinity" is wrong, because it defines masculine traits as including the negative traits.

Those are just re-wording negative stereotypes and tropes about men. Such stereotypes are never accepted when directed about women, like "women are naturally more nurturing," is a rejected stereotype because it makes a generalization about women because they are women. The same is true about "men suppress their emotions," which is a negative generalization about "men" in general. Another way to put it might be that men express their emotions and/or handle their emotions differently. It can also be negative to be too expressive of emotions, but we can't properly stereotype women as overly emotional or "hysterical," etc.

A man crying is not always a sign of weakness, anyway. There are many women who view a man who in certain circumstances cannot hold back tears over a sensitive issue (like his daughter's wedding or something) as quite manly. My mom used to love it when Michael Landon cried on Little House on the Praire (TV show).

It is saying "masculinity" is wrong, because it defines masculine traits as including the negative traits.
I cried during my circumcision. It was the last time I did.

If you feel the need to tan your balls, you are suffering from toxic masculinity
I'll be honest...most men would call that toxic femininity....NOT masculinity.

Back
Top Bottom