• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Toxic Masculinity and Toxic Femininity

Men that think they should tan their balls are not masculine. That should not be hard to understand.
I would agree, generally this is something an incel would do and the incel view of masculinity is as about as deep as a cardboard cut out.

I don't care about Tucker Carlson's fantasies. But, getting naked with other guys and laying spread akimbo is gay.
Its certainly not my bailiwick.

Those are just re-wording negative stereotypes and tropes about men. Such stereotypes are never accepted when directed about women, like "women are naturally more nurturing," is a rejected stereotype because it makes a generalization about women because they are women. The same is true about "men suppress their emotions," which is a negative generalization about "men" in general. Another way to put it might be that men express their emotions and/or handle their emotions differently. It can also be negative to be too expressive of emotions, but we can't properly stereotype women as overly emotional or "hysterical," etc.

A man crying is not always a sign of weakness, anyway. There are many women who view a man who in certain circumstances cannot hold back tears over a sensitive issue (like his daughter's wedding or something) as quite manly. My mom used to love it when Michael Landon cried on Little House on the Praire (TV show).

It is saying "masculinity" is wrong, because it defines masculine traits as including the negative traits.

Your lack of understanding of the term is duly noted.

Toxic femininity to me seems like it has been even more exploited due to social media. One example is the image to want to have the best curves, the best things, and of course the perfect flawless face with nice plump lips. Not real life but the illusion of being perfect at everything. Things I stay away from.

I agree. A lot of women on social media show off this fake persona of being the best wife, best mother, best housekeeper, best lover, best everything .... when in actuality, everyone's life is chaotic and unpleasant at times. And sometimes .... we're the worst of all the things.

How would you define the terms? Who are some examples of people who display these characteristics? I'm sure most of us can agree on one very famous person in particular....

How about toxic femininity (do you know how hard it was to spell that word?). Any examples of that? What would that look like?

They are the same thing. They boil down to the same thing: You cannot enjoy the things you want to enjoy or lead the life you want to lead because of your sex. Men cannot openly enjoy poetry or art outside of music. Women cannot enjoy acts of difficult physical exertion. Any drifting outside of what might normally be enjoyed opens one up to charges of closeted homosexuality, unmanliness/womanliness, or, at best, being an eccentric.

I would agree, generally this is something an incel would do and the incel view of masculinity is as about as deep as a cardboard cut out.

I don't see that as an incel thing at all. I could see a man who is SUPER into his body -- in the gym for 2 hours a day, constantly staring at himself, very rigid diet, etc. He would tan it all.

I agree. A lot of women on social media show off this fake persona of being the best wife, best mother, best housekeeper, best lover, best everything .... when in actuality, everyone's life is chaotic and unpleasant at times. And sometimes .... we're the worst of all the things.
Tik-Tok Tramps!

Toxic femininity to me seems like it has been even more exploited due to social media. One example is the image to want to have the best curves, the best things, and of course the perfect flawless face with nice plump lips. Not real life but the illusion of being perfect at everything. Things I stay away from.

I would argue that like with "toxic masculinity," it is when women and girls are bullied by other women and girls for stepping out of line for not adhering the to the ideals of what makes one the perfect girl/woman. Being too fat. Too thin. Liking sports a bit too much ("You don't want the boys to think you're a lesbian, do you dear?"). Being a bit too much into math and computer games ("No one likes a smarty pants, dear"). Not being agreeable enough. Etc., etc., etc.

Men that think they should tan their balls are not masculine. That should not be hard to understand.
Have you seen lil'tucker's video? It's a gay man's dream.

I'm sure your dad slapped you hard across the face and told you to be a man. Mine sure did. ;)
No, it wasn't the "face" where was slapped back then! Also, I forgot to mention this all happened just last week :)

How would you define the terms? Who are some examples of people who display these characteristics? I'm sure most of us can agree on one very famous person in particular....

How about toxic femininity (do you know how hard it was to spell that word?). Any examples of that? What would that look like?
Toxic masculinity seems to be a term to describe men not wanting to date certain women. This is a much more prominent term in our culture because Misandry is it perfectly acceptable thing to believe.

And essentially it's a turn to describe masculinity. People who don't understand these things and probably shouldn't be listened to.

People who use the term toxic masculinity are likely describing a characteristic of a person that they wanted to date that wouldn't date them or their male feminists trying to get in with feminist women.

I don't think we need a category such as toxic femininity I don't think there's anything toxic about femininity. There are toxic women who use their status as a woman to behave in toxic ways but I would not call that femininity. Same with masculinity it's just blaming an entire sex for something assholes do.

Back
Top Bottom