• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Town raffles rifles for school money

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

DALLAS (Reuters) - [size=-1] To raise money for a local school project, residents in Lampasas, Texas, are turning to a time-honored tradition, the raffle. But their fundraiser has a unique twist -- the winner walks off with two rifles.[/size]

[size=-1]Lampasas, located in central Texas Hill Country, wants to raise about $15,000 to build a fence around parts of Hanna Springs Intermediate School, where a known sexual predator has been seen near campus. [/size]

[size=-1] Officials said it is easier to raise money selling guns in the area, which is a popular hunting spot, than to peddle cookies and sweets. [/size]

[size=-1] "In this part of the state, it is difficult to raise money, and a bake sale just doesn't do the trick," said Katherine Yoder, chief of staff for Republican state Rep. Suzanna Hupp, who donated a high-end rifle from firearms maker Kimber. [/size]

[size=-1] The winner of the raffle will also receive a .22 caliber rifle donated by a parent and hunting t-shirts. The drawing will be held Dec. 8.

I found this to be an interesting irony.
[/size]

Only in Texas.

V.I. Lenin said:
Only in Texas.

Would it disturb you to find out that there are several hundred High School shooting teams in the U.S.? And that most are not in Texas? Just thought I would mention it, there may be one practicing near you.

My wife actually won several awards in High School for shooting.

But, that was in Texas and that was ahem 15 years ago...

Now isn't that just like Texas? Allowing a high school student to actually fire a weapon, a female at that. :lol: Don't those in state government have any sense at all? :lol:

vauge said:
I found this to be an interesting irony.
I like it! I'm glad that the school has found a way to fund things they deem necessary. I hope the school gets its money.

I knew a guy from the UK that went over to work in Teaxs.

They thought he was gay because he didn't have a gun in his SUV when going to a bar. He thought he was gayer because he didn't drive a SUV.

He also said that Texas get drunk as hell, then get into their SUV and DROVE! Jesus, if a person in the UK drunk drived he would get his lisence took off him and a 1 year prison sentence minimum.

Just shows how different the US is to us.

GarzaUK said:
He also said that Texas get drunk as hell, then get into their SUV and DROVE! Jesus, if a person in the UK drunk drived he would get his lisence took off him and a 1 year prison sentence minimum.

I don't know about Texas, but in Oklahoma there are drive thru liquor stores. You don't even have to get out of your car. And, if I remember correctly, Texas used to have a law not to long ago that stated you could either have an open container (of an alcoholic beverage) OR a firearm, but not both. (That law was changed in 2001.)

GarzaUK said:
I knew a guy from the UK that went over to work in Teaxs.

They thought he was gay because he didn't have a gun in his SUV when going to a bar. He thought he was gayer because he didn't drive a SUV.

In Montana, it's legal to drink and drive.

I live in upstate NY, where people drink and drive on a regular basis.

It's not an uncommon thing. I wish we had a service like they have in the UK, with the people who ride their bikes to your car and drive you home.

RightatNYU said:

I live in upstate NY, where people drink and drive on a regular basis.

It's not an uncommon thing. I wish we had a service like they have in the UK, with the people who ride their bikes to your car and drive you home.

Doesn't anyone think that DUI is unresponsible and dangerous? Jesus you could kill someone, or worse a kid. Why does the US not just tolerates such behaviour but make it legal? It's mind boggling.

RightatNYU said:

Not since the 21st of last month (4/21/05) when the governor signed the law outlawing any open alcohol container in the passenger compartment.

C.J. said:
Not since the 21st of last month (4/21/05) when the governor signed the law outlawing any open alcohol container in the passenger compartment.
Here's more info:

Some Montana motorists, the joke goes, measure distances driven by how many beers they can down along the way. But the long-cherished right to have a cold one behind the wheel is about to end.

State lawmakers passed an open-container ban Friday that makes Montana one of the last states to outlaw drinking while driving.

The Montana House approved the bill 76-21 and sent it to Gov. Brian Schweitzer, who has said he will sign it. It takes effect Oct. 1.

The delay is designed to let Montanans get used to the prohibition, which until now had been found only in cities and towns, not out on the open highway.

Only Mississippi now lacks a state law against open containers, though many cities and counties there also prohibit open containers locally.

GarzaUK said:
Doesn't anyone think that DUI is unresponsible and dangerous? Jesus you could kill someone, or worse a kid. Why does the US not just tolerates such behaviour but make it legal? It's mind boggling.

I don't believe anyone would argue that driving intoxicated isn't dangerous. The "U.S." doesn't "tolerate" it, as it is a state issue, not a Fedreal issue, and it is illegal to drive intoxicated in every state. .

shuamort said:
Here's more info:

Only Mississippi now lacks a state law against open containers, though many cities and counties there also prohibit open containers locally.

The rest of the story is this. Correct that there is no TEA 21 compliant state law, but of Mississippi's 82 counties, approximately half are dry. Possession in any form will be charged as bootlegging. In all counties any detectible amount (.02g% or more) of a person under 21 is illegal. In almost all wet counties open containers in vehicles are not allowed.

C.J. said:
I don't believe anyone would argue that driving intoxicated isn't dangerous. The "U.S." doesn't "tolerate" it, as it is a state issue, not a Fedreal issue, and it is illegal to drive intoxicated in every state. .

Sure it's illegal. The problem is that the enforcment of those laws sucks. A friend of mine's mother has been caught driving drunk as a skunk several times, but still has her license.

Fu_chick said:
Sure it's illegal. The problem is that the enforcment of those laws sucks. A friend of mine's mother has been caught driving drunk as a skunk several times, but still has her license.

If your example is accurate, then it's not an enforcement problem. If she has been caught several times, the enforcement officials seem to have done their jobs well. I doubt you have sufficient knowledge or experience to suggest the courts failed on the issue.

Fu_chick said:

Why hasn't your friends family done something, or had her license taken away? If she kills someone, their family will get sued and lose EVERYthing. Stupidity.

RightatNYU said:
Why hasn't your friends family done something, or had her license taken away? If she kills someone, their family will get sued and lose EVERYthing. Stupidity.

Both the woman in question and her husband are alcoholics. BOTH have been involved in alcohol related accidents, and both have their licenses still. I have known this girl since we were in elementery school and I've seen her mother sober only a handful of times. My own father (who is a 275lb alcholic) even says that this woman (140 lbs) can drink HIM under the table.

My friend doesn't see it as that big a deal because she grew up around it. When she was little her parents would go into a bar for hours, leaving her and her siblings in the car.

C.J. said:
If your example is accurate, then it's not an enforcement problem. If she has been caught several times, the enforcement officials seem to have done their jobs well. I doubt you have sufficient knowledge or experience to suggest the courts failed on the issue.

Well SOMEBODY failed. The last accident she was in she blew a 0.25, and she's still legally driving.

Fu_chick said:
Well SOMEBODY failed. The last accident she was in she blew a 0.25, and she's still legally driving.

And without more specific knowledge it's not really possible to determine that anyone failed. For instance, for any one of hundreds of reasons she could have been found not guilty, or possibly the charges dismissed. Since the system operates under the presumption of innocence failure would be subjective. Has she been convicted of one or more DUI's? If so is she operating under a hardship exemption? What are the laws in the jurisdiction where she was arrested ?

C.J. said:
And without more specific knowledge it's not really possible to determine that anyone failed. For instance, for any one of hundreds of reasons she could have been found not guilty, or possibly the charges dismissed. Since the system operates under the presumption of innocence failure would be subjective. Has she been convicted of one or more DUI's? If so is she operating under a hardship exemption? What are the laws in the jurisdiction where she was arrested ?

She has been convicted of more than one (this last one she wasn't just pulled over, she hit another car), and she did have a letter saying she could go to and from work, and she obeyed it for the first week or so, but that's it. It doesn't help that she works at a bar.

But remember, we operate under a system which protects the rights of, and affords protections to the accused. Still no indication of failure.

C.J. said:

What the US US/federal government doesn't "tolerate" ... they blackmail states into submission by withholding funding for roads or anything else they can use.

Back
Top Bottom