• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 304,000 in January

Conservative

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 304,000 in January, and the
unemployment rate edged up to 4.0 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
reported today. Job gains occurred in several industries, including leisure
and hospitality, construction, health care, and transportation and warehousing
\

Another example that America is winning and the Trump economic policies working. Unemployment rate rise due to furloughed govt. employees on TEMPORARY unemployment

Results matter except to a liberal where rhetoric matters more

Another example that America is winning and the Trump economic policies working. Unemployment rate rise due to furloughed govt. employees on TEMPORARY unemployment

I thought you preferred the total employment numbers from the household survey. Do you now except the payroll employment numbers as accurate? Why the change?

I thought you preferred the total employment numbers from the household survey. Do you now except the payroll employment numbers as accurate? Why the change?

I use the same data used to calculate the official unemployment rate, always have

No, you’re post cites the non farm payroll data, which is not and has never been used to calculate the UE rate.

Good luck with that! I expect you will get an earful about how Obama and his policies ruined the economy until Trump was elected.

One month of data is largely irrelevant. What matters are trends. And the trend in employment growth is pretty much what it was under Obama. Also note that this is preliminary data. December's big initially reported gain of 312,000 was knocked all the way down to 222,000. There really isn't much to say other than the economy is chugging along same as it has been for 100 months.

Good luck with that! I expect you will get an earful about how Obama and his policies ruined the economy until Trump was elected.

The fun part is that due to technical statistical reasons, the household data shows a drop in employment. (Because of adjustments, December to January changes are never valid)

No, you’re post cites the non farm payroll data, which is not and has never been used to calculate the UE rate.
304,000 jobs created in January my post stands

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One month of data is largely irrelevant. What matters are trends. And the trend in employment growth is pretty much what it was under Obama. Also note that this is preliminary data. December's big initially reported gain of 312,000 was knocked all the way down to 222,000. There really isn't much to say other than the economy is chugging along same as it has been for 100 months.

Yup... Con ignores trends. They always ruin his argument. So he goes with static numbers to hide end results. Like ignoring where Obama came from and got to and then putting Bush's failing economic stats onto Obama's numbers while ignoring the turn-around.

304,000 jobs created in January my post stands

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I never said the numbers were wrong, but that they are from the establishment survey which you usually ignore, preferring the household survey (which is the survey used for the UE rate)

Is there a reason you now are citing the establishment survey?

The amazing aspect of these numbers is that they are occurring at a time when we are at essentially full employment. Pulling in numbers like that ten years into a recovery is impressive.

The amazing aspect of these numbers is that they are occurring at a time when we are at essentially full employment. Pulling in numbers like that ten years into a recovery is impressive.
I generally agree, though the recovery has been slow so in that context it is not quite as impressive - just spread out over more years rather than concentrated in fewer. Though I'd rather have slow and steady than a short but impressive boom.

Labor participation and wage growth is still historically low, so it isn't necessarily amazing.

On the back of 312,000 last month this is great news.

You are not familiar with the monthly BLS employment release and didn't read the link in the quote:

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for November was revised up from
+176,000 to +196,000, and the change for December was revised down from +312,000 to
+222,000.

There's always next month!

You are not familiar with the monthly BLS employment release and didn't read the link in the quote:

There's always next month!
LOL, will excuse me for not studying the entire release to respond to a post.

But we are still having a deficit issue, and a serious debt issue, which will smack us on side the head one day unless we reign it in.

I am happy about the jobs numbers though.

It is so nice to see that all that money we spent on the accounts of the Kids/Grandkids/Unborn (tax cuts/debt) bought us something.

Hip Hip....Or Something.

I never said the numbers were wrong, but that they are from the establishment survey which you usually ignore, preferring the household survey (which is the survey used for the UE rate)

Is there a reason you now are citing the establishment survey?

Yes, used the Bureau of Labor Statistics News Release this time because of the govt. shutdown and the temporary unemployed numbers for the shutdown.

But we are still having a deficit issue, and a serious debt issue, which will smack us on side the head one day unless we reign it in.

I am happy about the jobs numbers though.

Yes, couldn't agree more which is why I supported the 2019 Trump budget and continue to point out that the President has zero spending authority without Congress's approval yet is blamed for the deficits generated during his term. Trump actually cut his executive branch budget and has submitted actual department cuts for fiscal year 2019 but that budget hasn't been approved.

Seems to me under these economic conditions it is timely to allow people to keep more of what they earn, shift responsibilities back to the states due to record revenue generation at the state level and actually cut the federal spending! Not going to happen as bureaucrats want people dependent and will keep buying votes

Yes, couldn't agree more which is why I supported the 2019 Trump budget and continue to point out that the President has zero spending authority without Congress's approval yet is blamed for the deficits generated during his term. Trump actually cut his executive branch budget and has submitted actual department cuts for fiscal year 2019 but that budget hasn't been approved.

Seems to me under these economic conditions it is timely to allow people to keep more of what they earn, shift responsibilities back to the states due to record revenue generation at the state level and actually cut the federal spending! Not going to happen as bureaucrats want people dependent and will keep buying votes

OMG, Con is already making excuses for trump ballooning the deficit. er uh Con, just for laughs, who do you blame for deficits say uh 2010 to 2018?

OMG, Con is already making excuses for trump ballooning the deficit. er uh Con, just for laughs, who do you blame for deficits say uh 2010 to 2018?

Yep, never mind the actual 'budget' bills signed into law - the fictional 'budget' proposed is what should count.

Very simple, the facts support me but facts get in the way of your partisanship and ignorance

Here is what you want to ignore

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/368904-economists-agree-trump-not-obama-gets-credit-for-economy

Understand completely this is an opinion piece and of course none of the data in the piece matters, right?

So tell me Vern, is a part time job for economic reasons as good as a full time job and what affect do those part time jobs have on employment and unemployment numbers?

Back
Top Bottom