• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tort reform candidate case: suing cause some guy landed on her vehicle...

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The driver of an SUV that was hit by a construction worker who plunged 53 stories to his death last week in downtown Los Angeles spoke out publicly for the first time Wednesday.Donna Crockett was driving past the site of the new Wilshire Grand Center when a man fell out of the sky and landed on the back of her vehicle.
Joseph Sabbatino, a 36-year-old resident of Palmdale, had only been working at the site two days when he fell from the under-construction skyscraper around noon on March 17.
Driver of Car Hit by Falling Construction Worker in DTLA Recalls Horrifying Event | KTLA

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A woman is suing a construction company for allowing a man to jump to his death from a hi-rise under construction and land on her vehicle.The suit was filed Thursday against Turner Construction by Donna Crockett and her husband Jamie Crockett.
The suit’s allegations include negligence, strict liability for an ultra-hazardous activity and loss of consortium between the spouses.
The lawsuit also describes Crockett as witnessing horrific scenes she is unable to shake.
Woman Sues Construction Company For Allowing Man To Kill Himself By Jumping From Hi-Rise And Landing On Her Car « CBS Los Angeles

Look lady, we get it, you saw $$$ and a smarmy ****stain of a lawyer talked you into debasing yourself in hopes of getting $$$.

You, and your lawyer, make me sick.

People wonder why jobs are fleeing, good paying jobs are harder to come by, why **** costs too much...

People like Mrs Donna Crockett

How much is she suing for?

I mean, the company SHOULD be on the hook to repair/replace her car, and pay for some therapy.

Driver of Car Hit by Falling Construction Worker in DTLA Recalls Horrifying Event | KTLA

Woman Sues Construction Company For Allowing Man To Kill Himself By Jumping From Hi-Rise And Landing On Her Car « CBS Los Angeles

Look lady, we get it, you saw $$$ and a smarmy ****stain of a lawyer talked you into debasing yourself in hopes of getting $$$.

People wonder why jobs are fleeing, good paying jobs are harder to come by, why **** costs too much...

The merit of the suit will be determined by a judge, and if it's without merit the opposing party will recoup their fees & expenses.

I see no major problem with our system, and believe any inefficiencies are far less harmful than otherwise limiting a citizen's access to the courts for relief.

I believe the courts are the final resort for the aggrieved to receive relief, and as such I'd not remove what is already in place.

Wait.....

So this is why broccoli is so much more expensive than last year?

WILL THIS TYRANNY NEVER END?!?!!?

I mean, the company SHOULD be on the hook to repair/replace her car, and pay for some therapy.

Why? Because... they didn't have draconianly unconstitutional control over their employees?

The merit of the suit will be determined by a judge, and if it's without merit the opposing party will recoup their fees & expenses.

I see no major problem with our system, and believe any inefficiencies are far less harmful than otherwise limiting a citizen's access to the courts for relief.

I believe the courts are the final resort for the aggrieved to receive relief, and as such I'd not remove what is already in place.

Loser pays, fix this ****, cap pay outs.

Wait.....

So this is why broccoli is so much more expensive than last year?

WILL THIS TYRANNY NEVER END?!?!!?
I dunno, will your refusal to discuss matter rationally ever end?

I dunno, will your refusal to discuss matter rationally ever end?

You haven't presented anything rational to discuss. Your unsupported bare assertions about jobs and prices aren't a rational basis for any sort of substantive argument.

You haven't presented anything rational to discuss. Your unsupported bare assertions about jobs and prices aren't a rational basis for any sort of substantive argument.

You don't think meritless lawsuits add to the cost of doing business, which ultimately is pad for by the end consumers? You don't get that link?

You need a good lesson in real world economics.

Why? The company is not an all-controlling uberlord of it's workers. The only person responsible for what happened is dead.

She files a comp claim on her car, and a medical claim on herself. In California, damages are usually 3x medical and out of that come attorney fees.

Mooooving on now.

Yeah, because liability insurance, and all the other forms of insurance, that is needed to stave off stupid suits is totally not going to get passed onto the consumers, ever.

The first thing that popped to mind upon reading this was "George Costanza".

Go to 10:10 of this video to see what I mean if you don't remember. (I guess it is slightly slowed down for copyright reasons.)

Why? Because... they didn't have draconianly unconstitutional control over their employees?

Nothing they could have done would have prevented it, no. Never the less, they are responsible.

Nothing they could have done would have prevented it, no. Never the less, they are responsible.

Why? Please explain why. How is it right to hold them accountable? (I know the answer, they have the most money thus they are "responsible") Justice and common sense be damned.

Why? The company is not an all-controlling uberlord of it's workers. The only person responsible for what happened is dead.

If someone fails to comply with OSHA standards...who catches the fine? That person, or the company? That's right, the company.

No, they can't control everything, but they are responsible for the goings on at their job site, including collateral damage outside the job site.

I'm not even sure why she has to sue, their insurance should just covers this...

Yeah, because liability insurance, and all the other forms of insurance, that is needed to stave off stupid suits is totally not going to get passed onto the consumers, ever.

Cost of doing business. It's just the way it is now.

Why? Please explain why. How is it right to hold them accountable? (I know the answer, they have the most money thus they are "responsible") Justice and common sense be damned.

If someone fails to comply with OSHA standards...who catches the fine? That person, or the company? That's right, the company.

No, they can't control everything, but they are responsible for the goings on at their job site, including collateral damage outside the job site.

I'm not even sure why she has to sue, their insurance should just covers this...

You don't think meritless lawsuits add to the cost of doing business, which ultimately is pad for by the end consumers? You don't get that link?

Of course I do. You seem to be unable to grasp that this lawsuits merits will go before a judge.
You need a good lesson in real world economics.

You need a good dose of reality.

There isn't and OSHA standard that's going to stop someone from committing suicide that wants to do it.

There isn't and OSHA standard that's going to stop someone from committing suicide that wants to do it.

No, there isn't. Which is why..insurance.

Why should the company be on the hook because a man working construction committed suicide by jumping from the building under construction? What do you see as the company's negligence?

Why should the company be on the hook because a man working construction committed suicide?

Because it's their site. They are liable for the goings on at their site.

Say....I own a burger king, on the corner of a crowded shoping center. Say....the manager of my burger king leaves the burners on on the stove, causing a fire. The fire not only consumes my burger king, but also the other buildings in the area.

Well, now, you could argue that no amount of OSHA standards or laws can possibly ensure that every single manager in fast food is worth a damn, right? And, surely, you don't expect that owners of fast food operations should be at their stores 24/7 to ensure mistakes are never made, right?

Never the less, I am liable for repairing/paying for that damage, as it was MY GUY that caused it. Sad, and unfortunate, yes, but sometimes companies hire BAD EMPLOYEES.

Do you agree with this, or should I NOT have to pay for the damages done as a result of the negligence of my guy running my burger king?

Back
Top Bottom