• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Topless women win big as Colorado city drops ban

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think this is just swell. (My prediction, the power of social convention will show the law was unneeded to begin with

Fort Collins, Colorado has decided it's not worth the money to fight for its ordinance banning women from appearing topless in public.

It's a victory for "Free the Nipple," a global movement seeking equal treatment for women.

In February, when it was cold enough that few would want to go topless in the community north of Denver, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a federal judge's conclusion that the law amounted to unconstitutional discrimination. It was based on "negative stereotypes depicting women's breasts, but not men's breasts, as sex objects," the court concluded.

Seems more like men win big in this scenario.

FREE THE BOOBIES!!
Too bad Kitten Natividad is 78 years old now. :lamo

I wonder what hashtag this could be called? #FreeBoobies?

I think this is just swell. (My prediction, the power of social convention will show the law was unneeded to begin with

Boulder, 45 miles distant, has been a topless permitted city for a long time.

What's interesting is that this is a federal court ruling revoking the law, and should apply to all similar laws.

Men shouldn’t be going around in public shirtless either so just repass the ban to apply equally to both (and only both) sexes

I've been saying this for years. Why is a 52 year old pasty white man who is 40 pounds overweight taking his shirt off okay, but a good looking, fit, woman taking her shirt off against the law? It's pretty blatant sex discrimination. Hopefully this expands nationwide and not for the juvenile reason.
Men shouldn’t be going around in public shirtless either so just repass the ban to apply equally to both (and only both) sexes
Since men's swimwear has never had a top, I do not see this happening.

Boulder, 45 miles distant, has been a topless permitted city for a long time.

What's interesting is that this is a federal court ruling revoking the law, and should apply to all similar laws.

Right now, it's just the six states that court services.

NY had that ruling for a number of years, and it just doesn't happen (except some women who panhandle in NYC.

Good call. Get the Christian patriarchy out of the legal system. Requiring women to cover their breasts is the same as requiring them to cover their legs or faces.

Do you always have to go in to horse**** mode? There's always someone who has to make an absurd statement with extra hyperbole on top. :roll:

Good call. Get the Christian patriarchy out of the legal system. Requiring women to cover their breasts is the same as requiring them to cover their legs or faces.

"The Christian patriarchy"? Seen many bare-boobed Muslims lately? Or Jews? Or Buddhists? :lamo

I've been saying this for years. Why is a 52 year old pasty white man who is 40 pounds overweight taking his shirt off okay, but a good looking, fit, woman taking her shirt off against the law? It's pretty blatant sex discrimination. Hopefully this expands nationwide and not for the juvenile reason.
Since men's swimwear has never had a top, I do not see this happening.

Remember the Seinfeld episode addressing this this issue? Old man being Gerrge's dad and Kramer inventing the Bro?

"The Christian patriarchy"? Seen many bare-boobed Muslims lately? Or Jews? Or Buddhists? :lamo

We're talking about the US, right? Seen much Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist influence in American laws?
Yes, the Christian patriarchy. That's what's driven European and hence American laws and social sensibilities.
Go ahead, tell me why a woman should have to cover her breasts without referring to the effect bare breasts have on men.

You want a law that men have to wear shirts?
Is there nothing that conservatives don't want to legislate?

We're talking about the US, right? Seen much Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist influence in American laws?
Yes, the Christian patriarchy. That's what's driven European and hence American laws and social sensibilities.
Go ahead, tell me why a woman should have to cover her breasts without referring to the effect bare breasts have on men.
Yeah, gay marriage and abortion are big parts of the Christian patriarchy. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom