• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top that, Nixon!

Rachel changed her show tonight to report on historic revelation. A problem is that Merrick Garland has been running DoJ in a very pro-trump manner and it's not clear how much he'll fix things.

For example, remember how trump insulted a woman accusing him of rape and was sued for libel, and then Bill Barr said trump did that as part of his job as president so DoJ would take his place as defendant, giving trump immunity? She challened that under Biden and won in court, and DoJ is appealing to keep representing trump. They're also appealing a court order to release a memo showing Barr lied to the court.

I saw this story break on MSNBC last night and then read the article you posted on-line this morning in "The New York Times". I don't know if Merrick Garland plans to clean up the mess, but he should. This behavior by the President and the DOJ, allowed to continue right up until today, is unacceptable.

Rachel changed her show tonight to report on historic revelation. A problem is that Merrick Garland has been running DoJ in a very pro-trump manner and it's not clear how much he'll fix things.

For example, remember how trump insulted a woman accusing him of rape and was sued for libel, and then Bill Barr said trump did that as part of his job as president so DoJ would take his place as defendant, giving trump immunity? She challened that under Biden and won in court, and DoJ is appealing to keep representing trump. They're also appealing a court order to release a memo showing Barr lied to the court.
I think Barr's position on that particular case was absurd, but I am imagining the current DOJ being nervous about the precedent that might be set in this case and applied to future similar cases on other matters.

I think Barr's position on that particular case was absurd, but I am imagining the current DOJ being nervous about the precedent that might be set in this case and applied to future similar cases on other matters.

I'm not sure what precedent you're saying they're worried about. The only precedent here is the bad one they're continuing instead of correcting.

I'm not sure what precedent you're saying they're worried about. The only precedent here is the bad one they're continuing instead of correcting.
Remember that I am speculating what their reasoning might be. I think they might see it as problematic if a president's action while in office exposes him to personal liability, rather than to the other remedies of impeachment or electoral defeat. I also presume they could have finessed this particular issue rather than maintaining the pervious DOJ position.

Remember that I am speculating what their reasoning might be. I think they might see it as problematic if a president's action while in office exposes him to personal liability, rather than to the other remedies of impeachment or electoral defeat. I also presume they could have finessed this particular issue rather than maintaining the pervious DOJ position.

But that's the law. They're not saying it's legitimate to make the DoJ the president's personal lawyer to make him immune to personal liability abusing the power of the government; instead, while it's the law that he IS liable - ask Bill Clinton, who was sued similarly - they're misrepresenting that his slandering a sexual assault accuser is part of his job as a government employee.

But that's the law. They're not saying it's legitimate to make the DoJ the president's personal lawyer to make him immune to personal liability abusing the power of the government; instead, while it's the law that he IS liable - ask Bill Clinton, who was sued similarly - they're misrepresenting that his slandering a sexual assault accuser is part of his job as a government employee.
Agreed. Did the current DOJ explain their reasoning?

Agreed. Did the current DOJ explain their reasoning?

Good question. I'm not sure if they did in the filing of the appeal; presumably they did but I'm not sure if that's public. I don't expect anything better than trump's phony arguments, sadly, what else can they say?

Back
Top Bottom