• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top ten reasons the Navy is the best service.

I thought the US Navy had just changed their operational uniforms to some awful blue camo.

I saw that, and it blew me away.

If I was on a ship and got knocked overboard (or had to abandon ship), I would want something to make me stand out in the water so I could be seen more easily. White makes sense, tan, orange, lots of colors. But a camouflage pattern in blue? Yea, great call if you never want to be found if lost at sea.

Sorry, but the Navy having it's own camouflage for shipboard use is just extremely silly in my mind. What's wrong with the traditional dungarees and blue shirt? Or wearing the same uniform as the Marines?

I personally think we should turn the clock back 20 years on this uniform insanity and start all over again. Go back to "Woodland Camouflage", and get everybody to agree on one basic uniform again.

Maybe you where unaware that almost all navy ships are coed...

Hell yeah they are, every female can have 100 boyfriends. :lol:

Just responding to your post NP. You were wrong before and you are wrong now. People are not leaving the military in droves because of DADT or ending sexist and other dated military policies.

I doubt that was EVER a concern. Military cohesion and morale were the primary concern.

m1075_02_of_66.jpg

Does this Navy has these? Nope, not as cool as Army.

I have nothing against Marines. Served on the 6th fleet flagship with them the USS SPRINGFIELD (CLG-7)after all they never lost a main gate yet.;)

Well, that is part of our traditional job after all. I proudly did that and many other security jobs during my first 4 years in. I have always viewed the Marines and Navy as having a symbiotic relationship, which benefits both.

I was somewhat disgusted when I was again stationed at a Navy base in 1990, and saw civilians on the gate. Not even sailors, civilians. It is our base dammit, it is our job to secure those gates, not some civilian.

Tomorrow I leave for a kind of memory tour. I will be staying for 4 nights at a campground on my first duty station, Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. And the thought that it will be a civilian letting me in the gate still disturbs me.

It still is - and it's better than ever. Y'all can hate the PC crap all you want - I did at first when I was still a strong conservative - but having seen how the Navy has gotten more effective in almost every respect - repeat, more effective in almost every respect - I'm happy that my youngest son wants to join and see everything that I saw in my twenty years. Been there, done that, helped make the doggone t-shirt.

I am am pretty sure they are technically coed. But most people wouldn't call a handful of females out of the hundreds or thousands of men on a on a big ass ship to be coed.

I am am pretty sure they are technically coed. But most people wouldn't call a handful of females out of the hundreds or thousands of men on a on a big ass ship to be coed.

Try roughly 1 in 6.

Try roughly 1 in 6.

So if a ship has a crew of nearly 5000 that means there is around 800 females on it, still sounds like a sausage fest. Might be good for the not so attractive females once some of the mens deployment goggles start kicking in.

So if a ship has a crew of nearly 5000 that means there is around 800 females on it, still sounds like a sausage fest.

You forgot marines. They are good at dropping the soap...

Have you ever submitted a post that dealt with the subject of the thread and not another poster? Back on ignore you go until you can do that........No sense responding, I won't see it.........

There is quite a lot these days that you are unable to see......

In terms of future Defence spending and capabilities, the Royal Navy seems to be coming out quite well. The British Army is currently undergoing a 20% reduction in manpower, whilst one of the RAF's major roles will be operating the JSF from new Royal Navy Carriers of around 65,000 tons. The UK Nuclear deterrent looks likely to remain submarine based and accounts for nearly one third of the defence budget in it's self, whilst the new state of the art Type 45 Destroyers and Astute Submarines are set to cost the best part of £1 Billion each, and there are also plans for a new frigate class the Type 26 and a new MHPC or sloop class known as the Black Swan Class designed to replace the current fleet of Mine Hunters, Hydrographic vessels and Patrol Vessels coupled with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary MARS Programme of replenishment vessels.

The former Chief of the Defence Staff in the UK Sir David Richards a General in the British Army even welcomed the concept of Black Swan, a small corvette type class which would allow the Royal Navy to free trade routes and defend sea lanes from terrorists and pirates effectively whilst allowing other more expensive ships to undertake the roles they were designed for such as Fleet Air Defence or ASW, at a time when both the Russian and Chinese Navies are seeing massive expansion. As one Royal Navy officer recently said 'it's ridiculous having expensive billion pound destroyers or frigates based off the coast of Somalia to deal with piracy when the job could be done equally well by smaller less capable vessels. It's also envisioned that the new Black Swan Class would improve UK Home Defence in terms of a possible maritime based terrorist attack and support anti-drug operations, whilst providing fleet support in the shape of mine hunting and hydrographic support .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-black-swan-class-sloop-of-war-a-group-system

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...ited-services-institute-rusi-17-december-2012

In terms of future Defense spending and capabilities, the Royal Navy seems to be coming out quite well. The British Army is currently undergoing a 20% reduction in manpower, whilst one of the RAF's major roles will be operating the JSF from new Royal Navy Carriers of around 65,000 tons. The UK Nuclear deterrent looks likely to remain submarine based and accounts for nearly one third of the defence budget in it's self, whilst the new state of the art Type 45 Destroyers and Astute Submarines are set to cost the best part of £1 Billion each, and there are also plans for a new frigate class the Type 26 and a new MHPC or sloop class known as the Black Swan Class designed to replace the current fleet of Mine Hunters, Hydrographic vessels and Patrol Vessels coupled with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary MARS Programme of replenishment vessels.

The former Chief of the Defence Staff in the UK Sir David Richards a General in the British Army even welcomed the concept of Black Swan, a small corvette type class which would allow the Royal Navy to free trade routes and defend sea lanes from terrorists and pirates effectively whilst allowing other more expensive ships to undertake the roles they were designed for such as Fleet Air Defence or ASW, at a time when both the Russian and Chinese Navies are seeing massive expansion. As one Royal Navy officer recently said 'it's ridiculous having expensive billion pound destroyers or frigates based off the coast of Somalia to deal with piracy when the job could be done equally well by smaller less capable vessels. It's also envisioned that the new Black Swan Class would improve UK Home Defence in terms of a possible maritime based terrorist attack and support anti-drug operations, whilst providing fleet support in the shape of mine hunting and hydrographic support .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-black-swan-class-sloop-of-war-a-group-system

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...ited-services-institute-rusi-17-december-2012

The U.S. Navy was also thinking along the same lines about having smaller "corvett" size ships being stationed off the Horn of Africa. They came up with the Littoral Combat Ship. (LCS) It leaks and it has a big Bofor 57 mm gun that can destroy any ski boat on the water. Well when the gun actually works it can.

Obama's PC Navy actually sent a LCS on it's first combat cruise and when it left San Diego, the gun didn't even work. Last I heard last month it broke down in the S/W Pacific before it could reach it's AOR. :lamo

EVen the subs are now...so, other than a few still getting retrofitted...I'd say most are coed.

m1075_02_of_66.jpg

Does this Navy has these? Nope, not as cool as Army.

I used to have the contract with OshKosh to inspect them(M1120's) as they were delivered to the Army.... beefy sunsabiches, but pretty buggy.

it was a good thing they changed from those Detroit's to the CAT c-17's... the Detroits were garbage

when I was in the Navy stationed at Kodiak Alaska the army cam there for cold weather training. It was in November and the temperature with the chill factor was -60 below. They mustered in the gym and then went out for 4 days...No thank you........at least in the Navy you always had 3 meals and a warm cot to sleep in.

EVen the subs are now...so, other than a few still getting retrofitted...I'd say most are coed.

And the Navy is paying for this dearly....Many officers and enlisted, good men are asked to resign.

Back
Top Bottom