• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top Republicans may skip GOP convention

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Election 2016: Top Republicans may skip GOP convention - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)A number of high-profile Republicans, fearful of a potential melee in Cleveland this summer, are considering skipping the Republican National Convention and campaigning back home instead.

With the presidential campaign hitting a fever pitch and Donald Trump warning about riots if he's denied the nomination, some House and Senate Republicans tell CNN that it makes more sense to spend time with voters back home rather than be associated with the drama engulfing their party. ……….

………….But even some leading party stalwarts are planning to skip the convention.

Asked Tuesday if he'd attend the convention, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush told CNN: "No."

"Unlikely," GOP Sen. Kelly Ayotte said when asked if she'd be in Cleveland in the midst of her tough bid for a second term. "I've got a lot of work to do in New Hampshire, I have my own re-election and I'm going to be focusing on my voters in New Hampshire." ………………..

………Quietly, some officials in the highest rungs of Republican leadership are advising their rank-and-file members to stay away from Cleveland. One top GOP party leader, who asked not to be named so they could discuss internal thinking, told CNN privately that he has advised his colleagues to hold campaign rallies and town halls in their home states during the time of the July convention. A senior Senate GOP leadership aide echoed that sentiment……………

OMG………… Please tell me the threats of riots Trump keeps mentioning……… one of his “former” associates promising an armed march on the convention and the sure to be there various shades and flavors of nut-jobs………… all descending on not-too-large city of Cleveland……….is an accident waiting to happen………

It's no wonder that GOP officials and members of Congress will have scheduling problem........ and prior commitments...

It should not surprise us that the pending meltdown at the convention is probable enough so that certain "top Republicans" skip the convention.

On the flip side of that sentiment, I would actually like to go now and get a big bag of popcorn to watch the show. Especially if the whole thing ends up brokered, into multiple rounds of delegate voting, all kinds of backroom deals and appealing to "free agent" delegates, riots inside and out, and various other nonsense.

The republicans are destroying any chance of taking potus and they are seemlingly ripping the party to shreds.

Colorado stripping a million voters of their right to vote for who they choose as their nominee was the most astonishing event in my 47 yrs of voting.

The delegate rules for both Democrats and Republicans alike is disgusting

The republicans are destroying any chance of taking potus and they are seemlingly ripping the party to shreds.

Colorado stripping a million voters of their right to vote for who they choose as their nominee was the most astonishing event in my 47 yrs of voting.

The delegate rules for both Democrats and Republicans alike is disgusting

Considering that 47 years ago only 11 states had republican primaries and Colorado wasnt one of them, thats just bull****

Washington (CNN)A number of high-profile Republicans, fearful of a potential melee in Cleveland this summer, are considering skipping the Republican National Convention and campaigning back home instead.

With the presidential campaign hitting a fever pitch and Donald Trump warning about riots if he's denied the nomination, some House and Senate Republicans tell CNN that it makes more sense to spend time with voters back home rather than be associated with the drama engulfing their party. ……….

Asked Tuesday if he'd attend the convention, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush told CNN: "No."

"Unlikely," GOP Sen. Kelly Ayotte said when asked if she'd be in Cleveland in the midst of her tough bid for a second term. "I've got a lot of work to do in New Hampshire, I have my own re-election and I'm going to be focusing on my voters in New Hampshire." ………………..

………Quietly, some officials in the highest rungs of Republican leadership are advising their rank-and-file members to stay away from Cleveland. One top GOP party leader, who asked not to be named so they could discuss internal thinking, told CNN privately that he has advised his colleagues to hold campaign rallies and town halls in their home states during the time of the July convention. A senior Senate GOP leadership aide echoed that sentiment……………

OMG………… Please tell me the threats of riots Trump keeps mentioning……… one of his “former” associates promising an armed march on the convention and the sure to be there various shades and flavors of nut-jobs………… all descending on not-too-large city of Cleveland……….is an accident waiting to happen………

It's no wonder that GOP officials and members of Congress will have scheduling problem........ and prior commitments...

Kelly Ayotte has absolutely nothing to gain by going to the convention. I support and actually applaud her for this. And her situation is completely different than Jeb's. Why exactly is he considered a "top Republican" anyway? He hasn't held an office in how many years?

One thing I've learned is that one is better served by not listening to what politicians say...but rather look for other motives for their actions, usually self-serving motives. And, it doesn't matter whether the politician is left-wing or right wing, either.

In light of that, I have to wonder what is their real, self-serving motive for staying away from the convention. One thing we can be sure of is that they are not worried about riots because they won't be anywhere near any rioting...they'll be in hotel rooms meeting with their allies and those they want to lobby.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to distance themselves from the hub-bub of the convention and the attention of the media. This way, they can say, "I don't have anything to do with that stuff...I'm not a part of it..." when people complain about how things are going. Especially if the GOP Elite make a move that pisses off the rank and file Party membership.

I'm not surprised that many of the people who've been loyal and hard working Republicans would avoid a nomination convention that will likely be a choice between a man who's not a conservative or Republican and repeatedly calls establishment Republicans crooks and cheats, and another man who's a complete asshole and never done a single thing to promote the Republican Party and its policy positions. Let those who disparage the party they are looking to lead have a party amongst themselves and then, a couple of years from now, Republicans will get back to the business of trying to provide a sane and competent option for the Presidency.

One thing I've learned is that one is better served by not listening to what politicians say...but rather look for other motives for their actions, usually self-serving motives. And, it doesn't matter whether the politician is left-wing or right wing, either.

In light of that, I have to wonder what is their real, self-serving motive for staying away from the convention. One thing we can be sure of is that they are not worried about riots because they won't be anywhere near any rioting...they'll be in hotel rooms meeting with their allies and those they want to lobby.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to distance themselves from the hub-bub of the convention and the attention of the media. This way, they can say, "I don't have anything to do with that stuff...I'm not a part of it..." when people complain about how things are going. Especially if the GOP Elite make a move that pisses off the rank and file Party membership.

I think you have hit the nail on its head. If the whole Cleveland Convention turns into a huge manure storm - why be there to get it on your clothes and dirty you? There is nothing to gain from it.

And I agree with you about ignoring what politicians say and only look at what they do and what their true motivation is for their actions. As somebody who used to write speeches and press releases for some, I know this only too well.

This is much to do about nothing. The conventions are giant parties that have little to do with the process. That's been decided behind closed doors.

The real dumbasses are people who think their vote counts.

Considering that 47 years ago only 11 states had republican primaries and Colorado wasnt one of them, thats just bull****

The only BS is your inability to think, the 47 yrs includes 10 yrs ago and 5.. So buckle up bunky and use your bean

This is much to do about nothing. The conventions are giant parties that have little to do with the process. That's been decided behind closed doors.

The real dumbasses are people who think their vote counts.

Thats become glaringly clear

I'm not surprised that many of the people who've been loyal and hard working Republicans would avoid a nomination convention that will likely be a choice between a man who's not a conservative or Republican and repeatedly calls establishment Republicans crooks and cheats, and another man who's a complete asshole and never done a single thing to promote the Republican Party and its policy positions. Let those who disparage the party they are looking to lead have a party amongst themselves and then, a couple of years from now, Republicans will get back to the business of trying to provide a sane and competent option for the Presidency.

Two circus primarys in a row, the last one had a laundry list of candidates who couldnt lead an elementary school cheerleading squad. Like 999 Herman Caine who had not a shred of any kid of political experience and the very much cracked Michelle Bachman.

This GOP primary was chock full of aspiring nobodies too. You cant avoid a clusterhump with 20 people fighting over the primary. Just the attacks on each other to get to the top tears the entire party down.

The only BS is your inability to think, the 47 yrs includes 10 yrs ago and 5.. So buckle up bunky and use your bean

You claimed you had never seen it before which was false and maybe you should look back just 4 years ago when Colorado's votes meant nothing and all their delegates were decided in the state conventions. Rick Santorum won the vote but Mitt Romney got all the delegates.

In fact Colorado only ever had presidential primaries where the voters decided the delegates in 1992, 1996 and 2000.

You can disagree with the system but to claim that it's new or extraordinary is just flat out false.

Last edited:
You claimed you had never seen it before which was false and maybe you should look back just 4 years ago when Colorado's votes meant nothing and all their delegates were decided in the state conventions

In fact Colorado only ever had presidential primaries where the voters decided the delegates in 1992, 1996 and 2000.

You can disagree with the system but to claim that it's new or extraordinary is just flat out false.

Never have I seen or remembered an entire population of a state denied their right to vote. They didnt choose Ted Cruz over and above the peoples vote. They didnt allow the people to even vote. If you have seen that before then you have to show me because I do not remember anything like that ever happening.

Never have I seen or remembered an entire population of a state denied their right to vote. They didnt choose Ted Cruz over and above the peoples vote. They didnt allow the people to even vote. If you have seen that before then you have to show me because I do not remember anything like that ever happening.

You do not have a right to vote in the general election, let alone the primary for one particular party.

This is one of the many impacts of the Republican primary and Donald Trump in particular. And regardless of the outcome from the convention, I imagine that the situation will only deteriorate for these top ranking GOP officials.

On the one hand, they might nominate someone that did not come to the convention with the plurality of delegates and they risk alienating the individuals within their own states that voted for Trump (or even potentially face a third party process).

On the other hand, they might nominate Trump and will be faced with a question every single day to every single individual on the down ticket about whether they agree with X or Y statement made by their nominee.

before 1972 most states didnt have a primary at all to allow people to vote

Heres the map from the 1968 primaries just 12 states+dc allowed people to vote

450px-1968RepublicanPresidentialPrimaries.svg.png

The reason Colorado didnt have a straw poll this year like in 2012 was because of the RNC rule change that forced every state who had a straw poll to bind their delegates

This is one of the many impacts of the Republican primary and Donald Trump in particular. And regardless of the outcome from the convention, I imagine that the situation will only deteriorate for these top ranking GOP officials.

On the one hand, they might nominate someone that did not come to the convention with the plurality of delegates and they risk alienating the individuals within their own states that voted for Trump (or even potentially face a third party process).

On the other hand, they might nominate Trump and will be faced with a question every single day to every single individual on the down ticket about whether they agree with X or Y statement made by their nominee.

OMG...............there is someone here that's sane............. Praise Jesus

before 1972 most states didnt have a primary at all to allow people to vote

Heres the map from the 1968 primaries just 12 states+dc allowed people to vote

450px-1968RepublicanPresidentialPrimaries.svg.png

The reason Colorado didnt have a straw poll this year like in 2012 was because of the RNC rule change that forced every state who had a straw poll to bind their delegates

1972 It cost me 42.00 for a brand new model 10 smith and wesson in cosmolene too. 1972 primary rules have nothing to do with 2016s and how people feel about them.

The RNC is bending to the pressure of the PEOPLE and now says trump will get the nomination if he gets 1100 votes. Down from he wont get it.

RNC member predicts: Trump can win with 1,100 delegates

Republican National Committee member Randy Evans predicted Wednesday that Donald Trump would likely be able to secure the Republican nomination if he captures anything more than 1,100 delegates, short of the 1,237 delegates needed for a simple majority.

RNC member predicts: Trump can win with 1,100 delegates | Washington Examiner

Theres other sights reporting it too

Do you think these people will be missed?

Back
Top Bottom