• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Link

Updated May 21, 2010

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.
John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.
"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.
The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.
The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.
Well so they may decide not to enforce federal law against illegal aliens. This is great, and supports the conclusion that the Feds won't do anything.....as usual.

Link

Well so they may decide not to enforce federal law against illegal aliens. This is great, and supports the conclusion that the Feds won't do anything.....as usual.

Their stupidity knows no bounds.

The federal law is even LESS restrictive than Arizona!

Muehler, Darin v. Mena, Iris (03/22/2005) | On the Docket

WHAT?S THE BEEF WITH AZ? FEDERAL LAW IS MUCH STRICTER. - Patriotic Resistance

Federal law says you can be pulled over for any reason and asked for immigration papers, which is much stronger than Arizona law. So why are Liberals applauding the Mexican president for trashing the Arizona law. Why are Cities like LA and San Francisco not boycotting Washington DC instead of Arizona? This is hypocrisy at its worst!

William H. Renquist Majority Opinion
Muehler, Darin v. Mena, Iris (03/22/2005)

As to the court’s holding that Mena’s detention itself was performed in an unreasonable manner, Kleinfeld cited the Supreme Court’s decision in Michigan v. Summers, which established that "a warrant to search for contraband founded on probable cause implicitly carries with it the limited authority to detain the occupants of the premises while a proper search is conducted."

While the Summers opinion allows that unusual circumstances, such as a prolonged detention, might constitute a 4th Amendment violation, Kleinfeld argued that the Mena case did not represent such a case. "Under Mena," Kleinfeld wrote, "it is hard to see how police officers could ever conduct a safe and effective search of a home pursuant to a valid search warrant."

Perhaps we should vote in statesmen who will enforce current federal law....

So every far left nutball going after Arizona doesn't have a CLUE that the federal law ALLOWS the police to not only pull illegals over but pull them over on nothing more than the suspicion that they ARE Illegal! No traffic stop or other crime is necessary!

Sure would help Obama out if he actually pretended to have a law degree and read up on the law itself before looking like a complete moron.

Again.

Last edited:

Per your article:

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

The AZ law will be a test case. I think it's an imperfect one-size-fits-all approach that may run into problems with even the most conservative of Federal courts.

Also, per the article "may"...

Per your article:

The AZ law will be a test case. I think it's an imperfect one-size-fits-all approach that may run into problems with even the most conservative of Federal courts.

Also, per the article "may"...

Then you are against the federal law too since its even easier to pull people over :rofl

Everyone knows the AZ. law only mirror the federal laws. That being said the federal government must also be a poopie-racist. Someone said once, " The best way to get a law repealed is to enforce it".

Lastly, why is it legal to kill a home invader and not a nation invader?

Link

Excellent news! :2party:

That would be a pretty stupid move on their part.

Okay, so one of two things is happening...

Either the Federal Governments is derelict in its own duties and those allowing it to be so are violating their oath of office by not upholding the constitution by protecting the sovereignty and safety of this country and its states and as such those officials should be expelled.

Or

The Federal Government is saying it has no constitutional right or responsibility to protect the sovereignty and safety of this country and its states and as such cedes that power to the states and should but the hell out of it.

Then you are against the federal law too since its even easier to pull people over :rofl

I support the law going into practice.

I support the right to challenge and question the law as practiced by state authorities.

And I will support the Federal Court's final decision on this matter.

...You can get off the floor now, text...​

Either the Federal Governments is derelict in its own duties and those allowing it to be so are violating their oath of office by not upholding the constitution by protecting the sovereignty and safety of this country and its states and as such those officials should be expelled.

Or

The Federal Government is saying it has no constitutional right or responsibility to protect the sovereignty and safety of this country and its states and as such cedes that power to the states and should but the hell out of it.

I'd like block 1 for 500 Alex

Just because SOME illegal immigrants have killed people doesn't mean that they're ALL a threat to you. That is the same moronic, racist reasoning that white supremacists use about black people.

The federal government is under no obligation to enforce any laws it doesn't want to enforce.

I support the law going into practice.

I support the right to challenge and question the law as practiced by state authorities.

And I will support the Federal Court's final decision on this matter.

And I'm all for the federal government (or anyone else) challenging the law if it thinks it's unconstitutional. That's a far more appropriate way to go about it than this.

Just because SOME illegal immigrants have killed people doesn't mean that they're ALL a threat to you. That is the same moronic, racist reasoning that white supremacists use about black people.

Many individual illegal immigrants aren't a threat. Illegal immigration is a threat, though. No it is not racist to point that out, it is however borderline racist to immediately conclude that such a view stems from attitudes towards race.

Sounds like this guy is just going with the flow with Obama and Holder and the others that are against the law for their own political purposes.

I guess he thinks if he enforces the law he will lose favor with Obama.

I think if he is not going to do his job, and keep in mind the Arizona law requires a law to be broken first for the question to be made about citizenship, he needs to go.

This guy is saying he will not process illegal criminals if they come from Arizona and only Arizona.

I have to give it to him though, he does have a lot of balls.

So the Obama administration is breaking their oath to uphold and enforce the laws of this nation. That tells me they have no business in the jobs they have.

#1 not all illegals are Hispanic so score another point for your sheer stupidity.

#2 Keeping illegal criminals out is a GOOD thing. We have enough criminals who are citizens of our own.

#3 I never said all illegals are a threat but to pretend some are not displays your own incredible ignorance on the subject.

Many individual illegal immigrants aren't a threat. Illegal immigration is a threat, though.

How?

Dav said:
No it is not racist to point that out, it is however borderline racist to immediately conclude that such a view stems from attitudes towards race.

Linking to a bunch of articles about illegal immigrants killing people is no different than linking to a bunch of articles about black people killing people. It's the same faulty logic.

How?

Linking to a bunch of articles about illegal immigrants killing people is no different than linking to a bunch of articles about black people killing people. It's the same faulty logic.

Complete bull****.

You can't equate laws against race vs laws on nationality.

It's the same moronic blame-the-entire-group-for-the-actions-of-a-few mentality.

Not all illegals are Hispanic.

Thank you for displaying your ignorance by misusing the race card once again.

The Democrats enjoy a Latino advantage, but the Republicans have a few bastions, particuarly among Cuban 'exiles', and there is potential to have far more since Latinos originate from relatively 'traditional' cultures -- notably, they are heavily Catholic, and while there are significant numbers of liberal Catholics, a majority are socially conservative. As with Muslims, the Latino preference for Democrats emerges from perceptions that democrats/liberals are more welcoming and sympathetic to the challenges they face, although in the case of Muslims it is probable more 'liberal' Muslims immigrate to the United States, as a general rule. In essence, the jockeying for the Latino vote is a close game with the ball in the Democrats' court. The national Republican desire to solve the illegal immigration dilemma is complicated by a desire not to permanently alienante the Hispanic vote; they might never get a majority of it, but they can at least approach half, which is way better than another racial minority (aka, blacks) practically voting a straight Democrat ticket, especially when, one way or another, that racial minority is becoming the second largest ethnic population in the country. And the Democrats don't want to ruin what is sure to be a solid electoral advantage for them in the future.

End result, the federal government is ineffectual in solving the immigration dilemma. I don't blame Arizona for taking action, considering the gravity of the situation, although I don't think the policy is a particularly good one.

Last edited:

Key word: illegal immigration. If you don't see what's wrong with people entering the country without anyone knowing or making sure they aren't a criminal or terrorist or something, I'm not sure what else to say.

No because the black people had every right to be here, while the illegals should never have been allowed to come in the first place. We should be making sure people aren't criminals before we let them enter the country. This is true with all races and nationalities, and comparing the desire to do so with racism has no logical basis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom