• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Top General: Murtha Comments Hurt Morale

ANAV

Reaction score
I've heard arguments that Murtha's anti-war comments have hurt the efforts of the military Iraq. Now the top dog of the military has confirmed this.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48222

General Pace knows more about the military's runnings than any politician in office. He's not making these remarks for any political gains (he's not a politician) or personnel gains (he cannot go any higher in the military). He's speaking based on first hand knowledge.

ANAV said:
I've heard arguments that Murtha's anti-war comments have hurt the efforts of the military Iraq. Now the top dog of the military has confirmed this.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48222

General Pace knows more about the military's runnings than any politician in office. He's not making these remarks for any political gains (he's not a politician) or personnel gains (he cannot go any higher in the military). He's speaking based on first hand knowledge.

Not to be rude, but what is your point? Are you upset because Murtha's comments have hurt recruiting? Or are you happy that Murtha's comments have hurt recruiting?

For me, I say that for those who do not like the effect Murtha's words have had--tough! Murtha is entitled to his opinion and he is entitled to speak his opinion. If it has negative repercussions, then so be it. If this war was so honorable, then why aren't people running to join? Also, the military shouldn't want someone to join if their minds can be affected so easily by someone's opinion.

Ahhh, so Murtha's comments have hurt the moral of our troops in Iraq? Poor little troops, such crybabies the top General has under his wing. I suppose the top General is leading his troops by crying and wailing louder then his girly-men just to set an example.

Gen. Peter Pace is such a fool, does this sissy General really think our brave troops are going to let any politician back in the states hurt their feelings by speaking out against the war? He certanly does not have much confidence in our brave troops does he?

We need to rid our armed-forces of p*ssys like General Peter Pace and their crybaby attitudes.

aps said:
Not to be rude, but what is your point? Are you upset because Murtha's comments have hurt recruiting? Or are you happy that Murtha's comments have hurt recruiting?

For me, I say that for those who do not like the effect Murtha's words have had--tough! Murtha is entitled to his opinion and he is entitled to speak his opinion. If it has negative repercussions, then so be it. If this war was so honorable, then why aren't people running to join? Also, the military shouldn't want someone to join if their minds can be affected so easily by someone's opinion.
You're missing the intent of the thread...

Murtha is, of course, entitled to say what he pleases...No one is saying this is a "Freedom of speech" issue...

But for some time now, there have been many on this forum who have stated that WHAT'S being said has negative consequences...That has, for the most part, been rebuffed by many here on the "other side of the aisle"...

It seems that they think people are not allowed to be offended by certain remarks...that is just not so...

Member A : What you say affects the troops negatively and hurts their morale
Member B : No it doesn't

General Pace's comments confirm Member A is correct.

Your comment...If it has negative repercussions, then so be it...has legal grounding, but is far from principled...

I think it also begs to be mentioned that the good general's direct superior is Georgie himself, too. I dont think it would be that difficult to get him to say much of anything to directly oppose a political rival of Bush.

KidRocks said:
Ahhh, so Murtha's comments have hurt the moral of our troops in Iraq? Poor little troops, such crybabies the top General has under his wing. I suppose the top General is leading his troops by crying and wailing louder then his girly-men just to set an example.

Gen. Peter Pace is such a fool, does this sissy General really think our brave troops are going to let any politician back in the states hurt their feelings by speaking out against the war? He certanly does not have much confidence in our brave troops does he?

We need to rid our armed-forces of p*ssys like General Peter Pace and their crybaby attitudes.
These p*ssys have given their all to give you the freedom to say that...

You should thank them...

cnredd said:
You're missing the intent of the thread...

Murtha is, of course, entitled to say what he pleases...No one is saying this is a "Freedom of speech" issue...

But for some time now, there have been many on this forum who have stated that WHAT'S being said has negative consequences...That has, for the most part, been rebuffed by many here on the "other side of the aisle"...

It seems that they think people are not allowed to be offended by certain remarks...that is just not so...

Member A : What you say affects the troops negatively and hurts their morale
Member B : No it doesn't

General Pace's comments confirm Member A is correct.

Your comment...If it has negative repercussions, then so be it...has legal grounding, but is far from principled...

What I was talking about was that the General was saying that it had hurt recruiting. Isn't that what the article is about? I see the recruiting issue as something not that important. Yes I know we need more troops, but, again, if kids want to join the military, their heart should be into it and Murtha's words should not have such a strong effect on them that would cause them to change their minds.

jallman said:
I think it also begs to be mentioned that the good general's direct superior is Georgie himself, too. I dont think it would be that difficult to get him to say much of anything to directly oppose a political rival of Bush.
So his opinion is marginalized....great...

Let me ask you a question...

What specific qualifications do you need to tell if someone is telling you their true beliefs without political sway?

You've already ruled out the whole miltary upper echelon...I guess they're all partisan hacks, right?...:roll:

cnredd said:
These p*ssys have given their all to give you the freedom to say that...

You should thank them...

And you should apoligize immediatly for calling our brave troops... p*ssys.

Shame on you!

aps said:
What I was talking about was that the General was saying that it had hurt recruiting. Isn't that what the article is about? I see the recruiting issue as something not that important. Yes I know we need more troops, but, again, if kids want to join the military, their heart should be into it and Murtha's words should not have such a strong effect on them that would cause them to change their minds.
First line of the aricle...

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff yesterday said comments made by Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., about the Iraq war and the troops is bad for the moral of military personnel and harms the Armed Forces' recruiting efforts.

Now read the thread title...

The recruitement aspect is not the thrust of this thread...why would you comment on the "side issue" and not with the main focus?...:confused:

KidRocks said:
And you should apoligize immediatly for calling our brave troops... p*ssys.

Shame on you!

galenrox should have nominated you...

cnredd said:
First line of the aricle...

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff yesterday said comments made by Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., about the Iraq war and the troops is bad for the moral of military personnel and harms the Armed Forces' recruiting efforts.

Now read the thread title...

The recruitement aspect is not the thrust of this thread...why would you comment on the "side issue" and not with the main focus?...:confused:

Ummm, because I missed that part. :3oops: The sub-headline says, "Joint Chiefs chairman says anti-war remarks 'damaging to recruiting.'" Help! I must be tired.

Anyway, I can see how people would get upset if Murtha's words affected morale of the troops currently serving. However, I must say that if I truly believe in something, NO ONE could impact that feeling.

In reading the article again, cnredd, the recruiting issue is a big issue in the article--would you agree? Look at the first paragraph:

3rd paragraph:

"That's damaging to recruiting," Pace told reporters. "It's damaging to morale of the troops who are deployed, and it's damaging to the morale of their families who believe in what they are doing to serve this country."

cnredd said:
So his opinion is marginalized....great...

Let me ask you a question...

What specific qualifications do you need to tell if someone is telling you their true beliefs without political sway?

You've already ruled out the whole miltary upper echelon...I guess they're all partisan hacks, right?...:roll:

You know, I am in no mood for your smarta$$, snide, self important antics today redd. I whole-heartedly support the war but I am not willing to turn a blind eye to political spin either. I simply made the assertion that it is not a stretch that the general pinned the sluggish morale directly on the strongest opponent Bush faces. What is so friggin difficult about seeing that any coin has two sides?

KidRocks said:

So I'm nothing but a crybaby? Go **** yourself!!!! Better yet, come see me so I can kick your ass you little bitch. You know nothing about honor, courage and committment.

aps said:
In reading the article again, cnredd, the recruiting issue is a big issue in the article--would you agree? Look at the first paragraph:

3rd paragraph:

"That's damaging to recruiting," Pace told reporters. "It's damaging to morale of the troops who are deployed, and it's damaging to the morale of their families who believe in what they are doing to serve this country."
Once again, that wasn't the thrust of the thread according to its own title...

If I started a thread that said "Bill Clinton is a liar" and sourced an article that says "Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, and Newt Gingrich have been proven liars and have admitted so", why on earth would you post soemthing that only dealt with Nixon?...

See my point?...:2wave:

ANAV said:
So I'm nothing but a crybaby? Go **** yourself!!!! Better yet, come see me so I can kick your ass you little bitch. You know nothing about honor, courage and committment.

If you truly felt you had honor, courage, and committment, the thought that someone else didn't think that should have NO IMPACT on you.

cnredd said:
Once again, that wasn't the thrust of the thread according to its own title...

If I started a thread that said "Bill Clinton is a liar" and sourced an article that says "Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, and Newt Gingrich have been proven liars and have admitted so", why on earth would you post soemthing that only dealt with Nixon?...

See my point?...:2wave:

Yes I do. But do you see mine? I think both are prime issues in this article. They talk about the morale of the current troops hand-in-hand with not meeting their recruiting goals and the effect that Murtha's words have had on that. I am admitting to you that I missed the morale part of the current troops, as opposed to thinking that they were talking about the morale of those who were thinking of joining the military and changed their minds. So there. :2wave:

ANAV said:

Damn right you're a crybaby, and with your name-calling, threats and hostile attitude, you just proved it!

aps said:
If you truly felt you had honor, courage, and committment, the thought that someone else didn't think that should have NO IMPACT on you.

I'm speaking out of anger. I'll challenge anybody that calls my brothers and sisters in all branches of the military, especially those fighting overseas, crybabies. And don't question my mililary core values, I have 17 plus years and counting. When it's my time for mandatory retirement they are going to have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

Murtha will pay for those words, I feel comfortable in that assumption. No leader who hinders recruitment in our fine military will have a job come the next election, even Hillary knows this. Not even John Kerry has gone this far, and we all know his disdain for the military. I am really happy he said this, it shows the agenda of the far left that has obviously taken Mr Murtha under their wing. I hear talk about cry babies here, this man is a fine example. He did not get the reaction he wanted with his first round of rhetoric, and has now elevated it, I think he knows he's on his way out, and he is fine with taking future military recruits with him.

What a proud American indeed.:roll:

ANAV said:
I'm speaking out of anger. I'll challenge anybody that calls my brothers and sisters in all branches of the military, especially those fighting overseas, crybabies. And don't question my mililary core values, I have 17 plus years and counting. When it's my time for mandatory retirement they are going to have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

Okay, but relax. First, I salute you and anyone else who serves our country. I am an employee with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs so I love our veterans and those who currently serve in the military. You don't even know this person--so why would you let them get to you? If you called me a bitch, I would think it was funny since you don't know me. You know who you are.

:usflag2:

jallman said:
You know, I am in no mood for your smarta$$, snide, self important antics today redd. I whole-heartedly support the war but I am not willing to turn a blind eye to political spin either. I simply made the assertion that it is not a stretch that the general pinned the sluggish morale directly on the strongest opponent Bush faces. What is so friggin difficult about seeing that any coin has two sides?
So your not going to answer it...Ok...:shrug:

ANAV said:

Don't let some child in cyber space, take your right to come here and speak your mind, this is Kids way. He loves to get under your skin, you just have to be the better man, no one here appreciates his disdain for our fine men and women, trust me.

aps said:
Okay, but relax. First, I salute you and anyone else who serves our country. I am an employee with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs so I love our veterans and those who currently serve in the military. You don't even know this person--so why would you let them get to you? If you called me a bitch, I would think it was funny since you don't know me. You know who you are.

:usflag2:
Just because YOU don't get offended by what someone says doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way...

I say I'm Polish and Irish, which makes me a dumb drunk. :2wave:

Does that mean that if you said "Polish people are dumb and Irish people are drunks" to every Irish and Polish person you're NOT going to find someone offended?...Doubtful...

Offense is an opinion...There are many people in the military that are NOT offended by Murtha's comments(like I am about Polish & Irish comments), but that doesn't make the concerns others that may feel offended any less legitimate...

Deegan said:
Don't let some child in cyber space, take your right to come here and speak your mind, this is Kids way. He loves to get under your skin, you just have to be the better man, no one here appreciates his disdain for our fine men and women, trust me.

Ya right, that statement from one shamless hypocrite to comfort another.

Yet you both disdain highly-decorated Americans, you both disdain our brave troops, men and women, here, and in Iraq and you still don't realize your hypocrisy. And your hatred of our men and women is all politically-motivated of course. It's because they dare speak-out against the war, because they dare oppose President Bush that you hate these fine Americans.

I know your kind, you call yourselves, "patriots", I like to refer to you people as hypocrite-Americans, shamless-Americans, not true Americans!

Back
Top Bottom