• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top figure - Russian Major General Sukhovetsky, killed in Ukraine!

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Top Russian military figure has been killed in the war in Ukraine according to local news outlets citing a social media post by his colleague.
Ukrainian news outlets were reporting that Andrei Sukhovetsky, deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District, had been killed on Wednesday.
Media outlets cited a post on VKontakte announcing the death, written by Sergei Chipilev, a deputy of the Russian veterans group, Combat Brotherhood.
"It is with great sorrow that we learned of the tragic news about the death of our friend, Major General Andrei Aleksandrovich Sukhovetsky, on the territory of Ukraine during a special operation," his post said, without specifying the circumstances.

Christo Grozev, executive director of fact-checking website Bellingcat, tweeted news of the death, adding that if confirmed it would be a "major demotivator" for Russian forces.

News of the death was also reported by Russian media outlets. Lenta.ru carried the story, while Alexander Kots, a correspondent for the mass circulation tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda, described the death in a post on social network Telegram.

One less Russian asshole.

Great if true but I'm not sure how it would 'de-motivate' the Russian soldiers. Why wouldnt it make them angry and out for payback?

There have been stories of the Russian soldiers not being happy about the invasion, not being committed...I'd like to believe those stories 🤷 Then the comment about them, re: the General might hold water.

Great if true but I'm not sure how it would 'de-motivate' the Russian soldiers. Why wouldnt it make them angry and out for payback?

There have been stories of the Russian soldiers not being happy about the invasion, not being committed...I'd like to believe those stories 🤷 Then the comment about them, re: the General might hold water.

I doubt that the typical Russian solider, a conscript, has been in a war long enough to feel affection for a general. I don't know if it would de-motivate either. I'm thinking the story is very true and has not been denied to my knowledge.

Anyway, the real impact will be on the Russian general staff. If two or three more bite the dust, those already questioning the war are going to be more expressive...

Still, Putin may declare martial law in a day or two...which will likely backfire with the public if he does.

Reactions: jpn

Putin probably had him wacked. The Ukrainian war was simply the backdrop to make the General disappear conveniently.

He may not have even wanted to be there.

Reactions: jpn
He may not have even wanted to be there.
That's the weird thing about living in an autocracy. How can you build a career in the military when where/who you may be fighting will be due to the whims of some psychotic asshole?

The closest thing that happened to the US was Bush's idiotic war in Iraq, but at least he got approval from the US Congress first.

Got more info. He was killed by a Ukranian sniper, seemly in part of an operation to try and retake an air strip near Kiev they attempted to seize and hold on the first day.

Back
Top Bottom