• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top 3% of U.S. Taxpayers Paid Majority of Income Taxes in 2016

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
  • In other words, the bottom 50 percent paid 3 percent. Which small percentile of tax payers also paid 3 percent or more? You might have guessed it. It is the top 0.001%, or about 1,400 taxpayers. That group alone paid 3.25 percent of all income taxes. In 2001, the bottom 50 percent paid nearly 5 percent whereas the top 0.001 percent of filers paid 2.3 percent of income taxes.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/glob...xpayers-paid-majority-of-income-taxes-in-2016

And people wonder why a tax cut affects rich people more...

It could have something to do with America being the only country that I know of that imports poverty, thereby creating cheap labor that tends to strangle upward wage pressure. The only people who benefit from cheap labor are those who hire them:

People like me: yard care, housekeeping, light trades (painting, fencing, etc.)
People like the 1%: All of the above plus accountants and accounting firms, all building trades, clerks, call centers, programmers, CAD draftsmen, etc. Jobs "Americans won't do". Yup.

IOW, your government is doing it. It began under Clinton, and accelerated under Bush W and Obama, and your government did it because you let the media tell you what is important in your life - Roe vs Wade, single payer health care, immigration "reform", amnesty. None of which affect your life to any big degree.

And they stuck you in the ass each time because you fell for it!

Not one question to Kavenaugh like "Do you feel the government has the power to prohibit US companies from entering into technology sharing agreements with China in order to operate there?"

Na. That's too important and too confusing for a 15 second sound bite. That is Your fault for not demanding an answer that you care about.

This entire debate is probably going to center around this graphic from the OP's story (well, best I could find as the OP link has some issues.)

View attachment 67242182

What is wrong with this graphic?

The link I found on this story...
https://www.bloomberg.com/toaster/v...ess&webTheme=default&web=true&hideTitles=true

Clearly turned upside down in relation to the story and anyone who clicks on the link you provided can see the actual, not modified, graph.

Clearly turned upside down in relation to the story and anyone who clicks on the link you provided can see the actual, not modified, graph.

I do not know where that link came from, when I look at what I originally posted it goes to the story.

People who make utterly obscene amounts of money also pay a lot of taxes in absolute dollars. News at 11.

It could have something to do with America being the only country that I know of that imports poverty, thereby creating cheap labor that tends to strangle upward wage pressure. The only people who benefit from cheap labor are those who hire them:

People like me: yard care, housekeeping, light trades (painting, fencing, etc.)
People like the 1%: All of the above plus accountants and accounting firms, all building trades, clerks, call centers, programmers, CAD draftsmen, etc. Jobs "Americans won't do". Yup.

IOW, your government is doing it. It began under Clinton, and accelerated under Bush W and Obama, and your government did it because you let the media tell you what is important in your life - Roe vs Wade, single payer health care, immigration "reform", amnesty. None of which affect your life to any big degree.

And they stuck you in the ass each time because you fell for it!

Not one question to Kavenaugh like "Do you feel the government has the power to prohibit US companies from entering into technology sharing agreements with China in order to operate there?"

Na. That's too important and too confusing for a 15 second sound bite. That is Your fault for not demanding an answer that you care about.
I'm no fan of trump's tariffs, but agree with you here in that we should not be importing cheap labor to compete with American workers. And not trying to make this partisan, but Trump benefits from the cheap labor he employs. He increased the number of H2Bs recently, helping himself in the process. This is a conflict.

I'm no fan of trump's tariffs, but agree with you here in that we should not be importing cheap labor to compete with American workers. And not trying to make this partisan, but Trump benefits from the cheap labor he employs. He increased the number of H2Bs recently, helping himself in the process. This is a conflict.

Trump is following the law. Your argument should be to change the law, so that employers must comply.

Are you referring to this:

https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/...m-guam-buildup-4-000-h-2-b-workers/946855001/

Bordallo said the law now provides U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services with flexibility in applying of the H-2B visa program on Guam, and it permits up to 4,000 H-2B visas per year to be approved for military and civilian projects directly related to, or associated with, the Marine relocation.

Last edited:
Would you rather pay 0% income tax on 10k of income or 50% tax on 1 million in income?

Where does the money come from that the wealthy collect? It comes from the hard work of everyone below them (and also their hard work). So it's a tax on the money that is funneled upwards to the ownership class.

Are the wealthy victims here?

557ef766ecad04fe50a257cd-750-412.jpg

Trump is following the law. Your argument should be to change the law, so that employers must comply.

Are you referring to this:

https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/...m-guam-buildup-4-000-h-2-b-workers/946855001/
No, I'm referring to the past several spending bills that Trump signed - including the omnibus - have increased the number of H2Bs every time. They even allowed an additional 15K this May, for summer employment.

The law is the problem. Trump & Congress make the law. Whatever they make, is law. We need less H2B and H1B immigration, not more laws forcing it upon the country.

No, I'm referring to the past several spending bills that Trump signed - including the omnibus - have increased the number of H2Bs every time. They even allowed an additional 15K this May, for summer employment.

The law is the problem. Trump & Congress make the law. Whatever they make, is law. We need less H2B and H1B immigration, not more laws forcing it upon the country.

Racist!

Just messing with ya :p

Racist!

Just messing with ya :p
Hah! Thanks.

I'm no fan of H1B, though. I experienced it first hand. And it was the final nail in the coffin for me with corporate life. I left, and never looked back! :thumbs:

Hah! Thanks.

I'm no fan of H1B, though. I experienced it first hand. And it was the final nail in the coffin for me with corporate life. I left, and never looked back! :thumbs:

I'm curious, do you extend that logic to other forms of immigration? For instance, do you think it is racist for thinking should limit unskilled labor from Mexico or "build the wall"? You are one of the first people that leans to the left to cite the economic impact that immigration has on American workers. I'm sure there are more that agree with this line of thinking but I haven't noticed them.

I'm curious, do you extend that logic to other forms of immigration? For instance, do you think it is racist for thinking should limit unskilled labor from Mexico or "build the wall"? You are one of the first people that leans to the left to cite the economic impact that immigration has on American workers. I'm sure there are more that agree with this line of thinking but I haven't noticed them.
In the context of my beliefs, I don't see it as racist at all. Though I do believe xenophobes & racists may indeed use the same arguments as part of their beliefs.

But to my mind, I can't fathom the thought of allowing illegal immigration. For many reasons, not just economic. Not the least of which is security and lawfulness. I take my allegiance to the Constitution, and remaining lawful to the legal statutes that flow from it, very seriously. It's all we've got to define us, make us what we are - Americans. If one's first act in the country is unlawful, it's hard for me to take them seriously to buying into what we have, and what we are. One has to earn their citizenship. And it's not earned by starting-out breaking the law.

As to the economic impact, yeah that's a really big deal. I have no qualms sharing some of our abundant bounty, but only after my fellow Americans are taken care of firstly. In fact, I'm blown away that non-citizens are entitled to government benefits. I believe those benefits should be earned as well, by earning one's citizenship (lawfully).

And I might also add, my father came from Europe and my mother was born of European immigrants. We did it legally, and that's what I expect of anyone else that want's to join us in this great experiment. A tour of duty, like my Dad and uncle did to show their gratitude, wouldn't be too bad of a thing either. But I'll make the last, optional.

In the context of my beliefs, I don't see it as racist at all. Though I do believe xenophobes & racists may indeed use the same arguments as part of their beliefs.

But to my mind, I can't fathom the thought of allowing illegal immigration. For many reasons, not just economic. Not the least of which is security and lawfulness. I take my allegiance to the Constitution, and remaining lawful to the legal statutes that flow from it, very seriously. It's all we've got to define us, make us what we are - Americans. If one's first act in the country is unlawful, it's hard for me to take them seriously to buying into what we have, and what we are. One has to earn their citizenship. And it's not earned by starting-out breaking the law.

As to the economic impact, yeah that's a really big deal. I have no qualms sharing some of our abundant bounty, but only after my fellow Americans are taken care of firstly. In fact, I'm blown away that non-citizens are entitled to government benefits. I believe those benefits should be earned as well, by earning one's citizenship (lawfully).

And I might also add, my father came from Europe and my mother was born of European immigrants. We did it legally, and that's what I expect of anyone else that want's to join us in this great experiment. A tour of duty, like my Dad and uncle did to show their gratitude, wouldn't be too bad of a thing either. But I'll make the last, optional.

No doubt that is 100% true. I personally don't care about the motivation behind a policy, I only care if it is beneficial and ultimately leads to greater freedom and choice.

Also, I have noticed that many that have been through the immigration process or at least direct descendants of someone that has typically have the same response you have given.

On many issues I tend to agree with you, but I am not against the importing of skilled labor. Hell, if it weren't for the social safety net I would personally be for open borders.

No doubt that is 100% true. I personally don't care about the motivation behind a policy, I only care if it is beneficial and ultimately leads to greater freedom and choice.

Also, I have noticed that many that have been through the immigration process or at least direct descendants of someone that has typically have the same response you have given.
I think when you're an immigrant, or child of an immigrant, you may value your citizenship more. The shadow of the war (the Big One) hung over my family, casting a long shadow. I grew-up with my youngest memories being immersed in the transient fragile nature of governments, freedom, and prosperity. Because Europe had lost all that. So I know what we have here is special. And to become enjoined to this great experiment, I believe one should have to work at it a bit, and show some effort. Hell, I'd make voting mandatory if I could.

On many issues I tend to agree with you, but I am not against the importing of skilled labor. Hell, if it weren't for the social safety net I would personally be for open borders.
I'd be fine with imported skilled H2B labor under certain conditions. But it would be very limited. Guys like Einstein & Oppenheimer are obvious examples. But if we really need a specialized skill not available, I'd be fine with it if practiced in a limited and fair manner.

I can't even imagine open boarders, though. If only for security. As to your thoughts on the social safety net, I agree there too. I'd like us to have a stronger safety net, including universal single-payer health-care. And I'd like to replace our current income based financial safety nets with a universal basic income - if the numbers can be made to work.

Nobody wonders this.

It's about proportion. A millionaire who pays 5% taxes will pay more than the factory worker who also pays 5%. But for that millionaire, 5% is a flushing. For that worker, that 5% is a burden to family. Of course, those millionaires and billionaires, who are attached to high level corporations and banks, will turn around and ask the government for a handout after they bust the economy; and for the deployment of the military to protect their revenue stream, won't they?

But why are you so obsessed with protecting the wealthy anyway? What's the point? They aren't going to give you any of it. They weren't hurting before the tax-cut Bill celebrated their status, and they are damn sure not hurting now.

I think when you're an immigrant, or child of an immigrant, you may value your citizenship more. The shadow of the war (the Big One) hung over my family, casting a long shadow. I grew-up with my youngest memories being immersed in the transient fragile nature of governments, freedom, and prosperity. Because Europe had lost all that. So I know what we have here is special. And to become enjoined to this great experiment, I believe one should have to work at it a bit, and show some effort. Hell, I'd make voting mandatory if I could.

I'd be fine with imported skilled H2B labor under certain conditions. But it would be very limited. Guys like Einstein & Oppenheimer are obvious examples. But if we really need a specialized skill not available, I'd be fine with it if practiced in a limited and fair manner.

I can't even imagine open boarders, though. If only for security. As to your thoughts on the social safety net, I agree there too. I'd like us to have a stronger safety net, including universal single-payer health-care. And I'd like to replace our current income based financial safety nets with a universal basic income - if the numbers can be made to work.

I think for scientists and doctors we should be actively recruiting people to immigrate. If someone has a medical degree or an elite scientist the US should be contacting them and offer automatic citizenship for them and their family.

Actually, we disagree on social safety net. I was saying we need to limit immigration due to it in order to make sure we only allow in those with skills that ensure they would pay into the system rather than be a drain on it.

typical republican propaganda. The rich pay all the taxes.

but they avoid the statement that they make all the money.

we are supposed to have a progressive tax code. that means that the more you make the higher percentage of income you pay in taxes. Reality is if you do your research on effective tax rates you will find that from about 50 thousand to the top 1% effective tax rates are about the same and for that 1% effective tax rates are considerably less than all the others.

the wealthy elite have spent decades and 100's of millions of dollars to get the tax code written in their favor. they want to keep it like it is.

Back
Top Bottom