• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tool or toy

As has been said, they are fallible. I've seen instances where they take longer routes than necessary.

Yes, they are fallible, but then, so am I.
and I trust mine to get me from point A to point B in a town I've never seen before much more than I do my own instincts and sense of direction.
and far more than directions from other humans like, "go up here, then to where the old Safeway used to be, then turn left."

I drove over a local mountain pass that was just a dirt logging road but has been paved for 20 years now. My device says it is dirt and tried to guide me around it. I went over it anyway and it kept telling me to bear right or left every few minutes like it was the old dirt road with lots of forks. I just tried updating it but it still says dirt road. Kind of disappointing.

There should be an option to change that somewhere. The one I used to have, you could change how it calculated the routes, so if you wanted to you could avoid dirt roads, or toll roads, or freeways, or a few other things I think.

There should be an option to change that somewhere. The one I used to have, you could change how it calculated the routes, so if you wanted to you could avoid dirt roads, or toll roads, or freeways, or a few other things I think.

I tried to change it but my only option was to change road names not turn a road from dirt to pavement. Others I know have this same problem with different and more expensive GPS systems than mine. Flowery Trail will forever remain a dirt logging road I guess.:lol:

I just got one of those GPS map things for my upcoming vacation. I have been driving around playing with it, I mean learning how to use it and it is very cool. My wife says toy, I say tool. What say you?
On the water in thick fog a GPS can be a very useful tool.

I just got one of those GPS map things for my upcoming vacation. I have been driving around playing with it, I mean learning how to use it and it is very cool. My wife says toy, I say tool. What say you?

I think its a tool for women and a toy for men. After all don't we men have an instinctive knowledge of where we are going and how to get there? We NEVER get lost, just temporarily sidetracked. :)

Am I right or am I right? Can I get an AMEN fellas??? lol

Last edited:
I think its a tool for women and a toy for men. After all don't we men have an instinctive knowledge of where we are going and how to get there? We NEVER get lost, just temporarily sidetracked. :)

Am I right or am I right? Can I get an AMEN fellas??? lol

I know I never get lost. I just decide to take the scenic route from time to time.
I've never been lost in the woods, either, but I've misplaced my car a time or two.

Tool and a real good one. Every now and then it will lead you up a disconnected street, but otherwise a real time saver and useful tool.

I place them in the category of toy, but that's probably because I don't like them, and they drive me crazy. I have a pretty good innate sense of direction, and I can think and visualize in terms of how a map works.

I don't think women will ever understand us men and our desire for electronics. I'm as much of a gadget-head as any dude.

I tell ya - if the electricity ever went out, women have to step up to the podium or my gender is in trouble.

I don't think women will ever understand us men and our desire for electronics. I'm as much of a gadget-head as any dude.

I tell ya - if the electricity ever went out, women have to step up to the podium or my gender is in trouble.

I'm not so sure it's a gender thing. How many women are ever without their iphone or Android?

If only they would wait to text for some time when I'm not sharing the freeway with them.

I'm not so sure it's a gender thing. How many women are ever without their iphone or Android?

If only they would wait to text for some time when I'm not sharing the freeway with them.

A phone is one thing. I, like many other guys I know, gotta have an "automatic" this and a "wireless" that and an "aerodynamic" this and a "fully integrated" that.

Oh - and it all has to have Bluetooth.

It's not just guys. I love all my little electronic thing-a-ma-jiggys.

A phone is one thing. I, like many other guys I know, gotta have an "automatic" this and a "wireless" that and an "aerodynamic" this and a "fully integrated" that.

Oh - and it all has to have Bluetooth.

I have Bluetooth in my car and I love it. I hate scrambling for the phone when all I have to do is press a button on my steering wheel. I know, First World problems and all that.

I have Bluetooth in my car and I love it. I hate scrambling for the phone when all I have to do is press a button on my steering wheel. I know, First World problems and all that.

We can make you an honorary man.

Huh, so owning more power tools than the average guy doesn't count for anything anymore. It's got to be wireless now..... :( *sigh*

Get with the times, sweetie. If you can change oil and do rudimentary brake work, your honorary man card can be grandfathered in with the times.

Get with the times, sweetie. If you can change oil and do rudimentary brake work, your honorary man card can be grandfathered in with the times.

I can't do brake work, but I can tell you the difference between a brake pad and a rotor. I think I should be grandfathered in, however, because I requested video games for Christmas and I love the 3 Stooges.

I can't do brake work, but I can tell you the difference between a brake pad and a rotor. I think I should be grandfathered in, however, because I requested video games for Christmas and I love the 3 Stooges.

Fair enough, but remember - honorary man cards mean that you and GG share the same facilities as us men...and I'm prone to towel fights.

Oil change I can do. Brakes, that's a maybe.

*fondles previously issued Honorary Man Card*

Back
Top Bottom