• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"too many white people in key government posts" ? - Susan Rice[W:172, 240]

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
White House’s Susan Rice: U.S. national security agencies are too white
By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 11, 2016

In a White House often accused of being stacked with loyalists, President Obama’s national security adviser said Wednesday there are too many white people in key government posts, endangering national security because they think alike.
Speaking at Florida International University’s commencement, Susan E. Rice, who is black, said a diversified government workforce is more likely to yield “better outcomes” than a predominantly white one.
Referring to criticism that the U.S. national security workforce is “white, male and Yale,” Ms. Rice told the graduates, “In the halls of power, in the faces of our national security leaders, America is still not fully reflected.”
“By now, we should all know the dangers of ‘groupthink,’ where folks who are alike often think alike,” she said. “By contrast, groups comprised of different people tend to question one another’s assumptions, draw on divergent perspectives and experiences, and yield better outcomes.”
Her comments were reminiscent of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who said in a speech in 2001, before Mr. Obama appointed her to the high court, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”
Ms. Rice elaborated in her speech on how having more minorities in the national security field would better protect the homeland.
“Intelligence analysts, diplomats and military officers who are native speakers may pick up subtle nuances that might otherwise go unnoticed,” she said. “Diplomats who can read cultural cues may better navigate the political and social currents of a foreign nation. In sum, leaders from diverse backgrounds can often come up with more creative insights, proffer alternative solutions and thus make better decisions.”
White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Mr. Obama agrees with that sentiment.
“The president certainly believes that our government is most effective and is making the best decisions when we have a government that looks like the country,” he said.
Mr. Obama has been criticized for increasingly surrounding himself with an inner circle of aides who think like him and reject advice outside the West Wing, particularly from the Pentagon. In his second term, he is said to rely most heavily on a handful of trusted advisers, including chief of staff Denis McDonough, a former NSC official; Ms. Rice and her deputy, Ben Rhodes; U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power; Treasury Secretary Jack Lew; and Vice President Joseph R. Biden.
Susan Rice says U.S. national security agencies are too white - Washington Times

Dunno, but if a white person every said anything like a government department was too black, there'd be all hell to pay, wouldn't there?
Why is this any different in the slightest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "too many white people in key government posts" ? - Susan Rice

Dunno, but if a white person every said anything like a government department was too black, there'd be all hell to pay, wouldn't there?

you honestly dont know why?

It isn't. How more racist can you get than to say that all white people think alike?

Is it possible that there's a difference because there's a significant power differential between white people and black people in America?

In terms of percentages there is too many white males. That is of course assuming you believe that percentages of those in office per group have to match the general population. Since there is no rational reason to believe any such thing, the argument is moot.

It's now politically acceptable to mention someone's race, assuming you are of the right race.

Racist because her underlying assumption is that all whites think alike. What a pig.

It isn't. How more racist can you get than to say that all white people think alike?

Yeah, it really left me offended :eek: (Not that anyone cares, or that it even counts in many one's mind, offending white people doesn't count)

Another part is qualified candidates. Now I'm not saying that there aren't minority candidates that qualified, but just based on the demographics there'd have to be fewer of them in number. That being the case, and the desire to 'level the playing field' such as was done in collegiate entrance qualifications, does this mean that affirmative action is quickly coming to the federal government in the highest positions?

And also as such, with fewer qualified candidates to chose from to fill some sort of quota, does this mean that the aggregate ability will be allowed to suffer on this the sacred alter of affirmative action, in the end having a negative impact on the entire nation?

Lastly, given the racial basis of Rice's comments, how is it what she'd got Obama's ear, is on the fast track for advancement, under his protection, being rewarded for doing his bidding reinforcing the misleading notion the Benghazi attack being due to an Internet video, and then being rewarded with a UN appointment. A reflection of Obama's innate racism, perhaps?

As a last thought, it seems that minorities are the most racist of the population.

Yeah, it really left me offended :eek: (Not that anyone cares, or that it even counts in many one's mind, offending white people doesn't count)

Another part is qualified candidates. Now I'm not saying that there aren't minority candidates that qualified, but just based on the demographics there'd have to be fewer of them in number. That being the case, and the desire to 'level the playing field' such as was done in collegiate entrance qualifications, does this mean that affirmative action is quickly coming to the federal government in the highest positions?

And also as such, with fewer qualified candidates to chose from to fill some sort of quota, does this mean that the aggregate ability will be allowed to suffer on this the sacred alter of affirmative action, in the end having a negative impact on the entire nation?

Lastly, given the racial basis of Rice's comments, how is it what she'd got Obama's ear, is on the fast track for advancement, under his protection, being rewarded for doing his bidding reinforcing the misleading notion the Benghazi attack being due to an Internet video, and then being rewarded with a UN appointment. A reflection of Obama's innate racism, perhaps?

As a last thought, it seems that minorities are the most racist of the population.

Does advocating for a "more diverse workforce" (Rice's words) always necessitate the kinds of quotas of which you speak? Are there reasonable ways, other than quotas, to help people with fewer opportunities, especially considering the problem of income inequality in America?

Perhaps if she named names, we could evaluate them on their ability.

Greetings, Erik. :2wave:

There sure would! However, with over 70 percent of Americans identifying as "white" due to European and Nordic ancestry, and the percentage of "blacks" at 13 percent, it would seem logical to have more whites in positions of authority due to sheer numbers alone. Obama would not have been unique had he not had a black father and self-identified as African-American- he would have just been known as the 44th President of the US.

Does advocating for a "more diverse workforce" (Rice's words) always necessitate the kinds of quotas of which you speak? Are there reasonable ways, other than quotas, to help people with fewer opportunities, especially considering the problem of income inequality in America?

Given the already well established track record of how the left deems it needs to address these issues, how is it a reasonable assumption that they'd address it in any other way?

Income inequality is a red herring for forced wealth redistribution from those who achieve to those who don't and / or won't.

Given the already well established track record of how the left deems it needs to address these issues, how is it a reasonable assumption that they'd address it in any other way?

Income inequality is a red herring for forced wealth redistribution from those who achieve to those who don't and / or won't.

I wasn't asking "how the left would deal with it." I was asking what you think might be a reasonable policy for helping disadvantaged people?

Nearly every country on the planet redistributes wealth. As the link I provided establishes, most Americans believe that the current level of income inequality is wildly unjust. So I think you're in a pretty small minority if you regard income inequality as a "red herring." I'm sure it's not fun to be in the powerless minority on that issue. There's some irony here, I think.

White House’s Susan Rice: U.S. national security agencies are too white.

That's why:

white+and+black+IQ+distributions.gif

aww off on another social justice crusade against the evil affirmative action again are ya?

Greetings, Erik. :2wave:

There sure would! However, with over 70 percent of Americans identifying as "white" due to European and Nordic ancestry, and the percentage of "blacks" at 13 percent, it would seem logical to have more whites in positions of authority due to sheer numbers alone. Obama would not have been unique had he not had a black father and self-identified as African-American- he would have just been known as the 44th President of the US.

Obama never had a father - black or white. There is a huuuge difference between impregnating a woman and sticking around for about, say, 25 years to raise what will come out in 9 months.

The ratio of 70 to 13 is not telling the whole story. If you look at the IQ curve in Post 14, that ratio is infinity if you stay with the "gifted", a must for those jobs.

Last edited:

I wasn't asking "how the left would deal with it." I was asking what you think might be a reasonable policy for helping disadvantaged people?

Giving minorities every opportunity to earn their greater success, but not just give it away to them, as if they receive it without earning it, it will hold no value to them (and actually this principal applies to every human being).

Nearly every country on the planet redistributes wealth. As the link I provided establishes, most Americans believe that the current level of income inequality is wildly unjust. So I think you're in a pretty small minority if you regard income inequality as a "red herring." I'm sure it's not fun to be in the powerless minority on that issue. There's some irony here, I think.

aww off on another social justice crusade against the evil affirmative action again are ya?

As stated above, giving things away isn't the way to do it and have it be a lasting effect. Just have to look at how well minorities have done with the long running and very expensive War on Poverty. Seems that many minorities are doing far worse than they historically have before this program was introduced.

No, what it necessitates is people "with fewer opportunities" take advantage of the many actual opportunities which have opened up as a result of changes since the Civil Rights Act; by applying themselves to get the necessary education and training; then putting themselves forward for opportunities based on qualification and not depending on racial or ethnic considerations.

Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans in the main work their asses off without chips on their shoulders or any expectation of special treatment to get the qualifications they need. Many of our Black American peers don't do that, preferring instead to put forward an attitude of entitlement solely on the basis of race. This despite ample evidence of members who DO take advantage, work hard, and succeed on the basis of pure unadulterated merit.

Last edited:

I don't know if they are the most racist but given their minority status, perhaps the racism among black people is less diluted than it is among other races and is therefore more obvious. But Susan Rice of all people shouldn't be trying to insert group think into the equation after that Benghazi fiasco.

I am sick and tired of forcing Americans to be race conscious anyway. The war against racism has been fought and won. It's time to stop fighting it. Put the best people you can find and can afford into every position there is regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. etc. etc.

As stated above, giving things away isn't the way to do it and have it be a lasting effect. Just have to look at how well minorities have done with the long running and very expensive War on Poverty. Seems that many minorities are doing far worse than they historically have before this program was introduced.

I would be interested in some concrete evidence that minorities are doing far worse before "this program" (what program?) was introduced. Could you be more specific?

As long as we're looking for evidence, could we not also look at other countries? Doesn't a social safety net for people in need work rather well in places like Sweden and Denmark? On any objective measure, those countries do quite well socially and economically while also providing for their disadvantaged populations. I think we could back that up with comparative OECD data.

No, what it necessitates is people "with fewer opportunities" take advantage of the many actual opportunities which have opened up as a result of changes since the Civil Rights Act; by applying themselves to get the necessary education and training; then putting themselves forward for opportunities based on qualification and not depending on racial or ethnic considerations.

Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans in the main work their asses off without chips on their shoulders or any expectation of special treatment to get the qualifications they need. Many of our Black American peers don't do that, preferring instead to put forward an attitude of entitlement solely on the basis of race. This despite ample evidence of members who DO take advantage, work hard, and succeed on the basis of pure unadulterated merit.

So you believe the black population in America has access to the same "education and training" as the white population, in general?

I don't know if they are the most racist but given their minority status, perhaps the racism among black people is less diluted than it is among other races and is therefore more obvious. But Susan Rice of all people shouldn't be trying to insert group think into the equation after that Benghazi fiasco.

I'd have to agree on this. I'd only add that since many of this administration view the world through a racist lens, what does that really tell about them and their views that aren't being vocalized? I guess the federal response to Ferguson and other similar instances all becomes far more clear and in focus.

I am sick and tired of forcing Americans to be race conscious anyway. The war against racism has been fought and won. It's time to stop fighting it. Put the best people you can find and can afford into every position there is regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. etc. etc.

As am I. It's not as if there are any positions, jobs, roles that are denied anyone that's qualified to perform them.

And yet, there are probably some sex and gender things that need a bit more sorting out and settling, as well as a bit more acceptance, but I caution about pushing too far too fast. People need time to adjust, or a backlash is sure to result, losing the progress that may have temporarily been gained.

The Middle East is going to ****, China and Russia are getting aggressive....but Obama's National Security Advisor is more concerned with "too many White people" in key government posts and that it "endangers national security".

You just can't make this **** up, folks.

This is the kind of stuff that causes more racial division in America then a White cop shooting an unarmed Black man.

I would be interested in some concrete evidence that minorities are doing far worse before "this program" (what program?) was introduced. Could you be more specific?

As long as we're looking for evidence, could we not also look at other countries? Doesn't a social safety net for people in need work rather well in places like Sweden and Denmark? On any objective measure, those countries do quite well socially and economically while also providing for their disadvantaged populations. I think we could back that up with comparative OECD data.

The minority family has dissolved.

"More than 72 percent of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock."

— Don Lemon on Saturday, July 27th, 2013 in a commentary on CNN
politifact%2Frulings%2Frulings-tom-true.gif

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...on-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/
. . . .
"Black people," Lemon said, "if you really want to fix the problem, here's just five things that you should think about doing."

The No. 1 item on that list -- "and probably the most important," he said -- had to do with out-of-wedlock births.

"Just because you can have a baby, it doesn't mean you should," Lemon said. "Especially without planning for one or getting married first. More than 72 percent of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock. That means absent fathers. And the studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison and the cycle continues."

Don't you believe that the children in two parent families have a much better chance at succeeding in life?
Don't you believe that the children not born to single teen aged mothers have a much better chance at succeeding in life?

I believe that the war on poverty, and all it's give away provisions, have made things worse rather than better.

I'd have to agree on this. I'd only add that since many of this administration view the world through a racist lens, what does that really tell about them and their views that aren't being vocalized? I guess the federal response to Ferguson and other similar instances all becomes far more clear and in focus.

As am I. It's not as if there are any positions, jobs, roles that are denied anyone that's qualified to perform them.

And yet, there are probably some sex and gender things that need a bit more sorting out and settling, as well as a bit more acceptance, but I caution about pushing too far too fast. People need time to adjust, or a backlash is sure to result, losing the progress that may have temporarily been gained.

I have held jobs that traditionally are done by men most of my adult life, and yes, as a woman in years past, I had to be better than at least some of the guys to qualify for those jobs. But qualify I did, and once I did, I was treated as an equal and paid as an equal. And as people got used to women in those jobs and found out the women did them very well, the barriers have mostly come down. And you're right that we should just let nature take its course in what few residual barriers still exist for women, black people, or anybody else.

Otherwise what good jobs we women or black people do earn through education, experience, and skill sets will be diminished by the general perspective that we got our jobs because of affirmative action, and not because we qualified for those jobs. That is humiliating and extremely frustrating for people who worked their hineys off to qualify for and earn those positions.

And in truth, that will be the case if Susan Rice achieves her multi-culturalism and racially diversified goals--we will not always have the best people we can find for those positions and even if we do, nobody will believe that the good people are actually qualified.

Back
Top Bottom