• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Too Many Wars Waged

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Since some Americans have an appetite for narcotics, and the U.S. government believes such to be its business, the U.S. government has the right to violate individual rights like property and privacy, mandate lengthy prison terms for non-violent/non-larcenous activities, turn American neighborhoods into semi-police states, create a black market that creates criminal gangs more powerful than law enforcement in many countries-ultimately corrupting the legal and political process, then coerce those countries into trying to clamp down on their drug dealers, causing epidemic violence and record murders of that country's citizens.

All in the guise in maintaining a moral and just society of course. :roll:

Campaign For Liberty — Too Many Wars Waged   | by Gary Howard

The drug war is certainly one war that has ceased to make any sense, if it ever did.

I keep asking myself why people can't look back at the effects of Prohibition, and how things changed when Prohibition was ended, and see that Drug Prohibition is much the same.

In the 1920's, organized crime and rum-runners made huge fortunes, corrupted entire city and state governments and law enforcement departments, came to dominate entire cities and engage in incredibly violent competition for market share. Some studies proclaim that Prohibition did nothing to reduce alcohol consumption, but instead caused many casual drinkers to become alcoholics by making the supply more erratic --- they were more likely to overindulge when they could get any booze at all.

When Prohibition ended, the power of the gangs was soon broken because their economic base was cut out from under them. The Mob today is not nearly as powerful or prevalent as it was in the 20's and 30's... and much of its remaining power and influence stem from involvement with the Prohibited drug trade.

Are people more inclined to abuse alcohol today than in the 1920's? As best I can tell, the answer is no.

I wonder why some don't consider that ending drug Prohibition may well have similar effects.

The main caveat is that the supply chain has be legalized and regulated and brought into the daylight as well... simply decriminalizing possession will not have the same effects.

More and more people are "getting it" though.

Back
Top Bottom