• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tonight on MSNBC: Betrayal, or how Richard Nixon committed treason in1968

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...-airs-sunday-at-9pm-et-1373198403695?v=railb&

Rachel Maddow alerts viewers to the debut airing of a new documentary called Betrayal, about a secret effort to extend the war in Vietnam in order to help Richard Nixon get elected.

Very interesting documentary. Released files 50 years later, the show details how Nixon committed treason in an effort to have S Vietnam delay entering into peace talks with the South just before the 1968 election. LBJ had the goods on him & Nixon't agent Anna Chennault but chose not to release it prior to the election because his advisers told him that "we don't run elections that way in this country.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/opinion/sunday/nixons-vietnam-treachery.html

Nixon’s Vietnam Treachery

Richard M. Nixon always denied it: to David Frost, to historians and to Lyndon B. Johnson, who had the strongest suspicions and the most cause for outrage at his successor’s rumored treachery. To them all, Nixon insisted that he had not sabotaged Johnson’s 1968 peace initiative to bring the war in Vietnam to an early conclusion. “My God. I would never do anything to encourage” South Vietnam “not to come to the table,” Nixon told Johnson, in a conversation captured on the White House taping system.

Now we know Nixon lied. A newfound cache of notes left by H. R. Haldeman, his closest aide, shows that Nixon directed his campaign’s efforts to scuttle the peace talks, which he feared could give his opponent, Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, an edge in the 1968 election. On Oct. 22, 1968, he ordered Haldeman to “monkey wrench” the initiative.
=======================================
I admire Johnson for withholding the evidence (wiretaps, FBI surveillance, etc) that Nixon had conspired to commit treason just before the 1968 election. We could have wound up with Hubert Humphrey instead & history would have been a lot different. Nixon tripped himself up in the end, a truly tragic figure right out of the Greek & Shakesperean tragedies.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...-airs-sunday-at-9pm-et-1373198403695?v=railb&

Rachel Maddow alerts viewers to the debut airing of a new documentary called Betrayal, about a secret effort to extend the war in Vietnam in order to help Richard Nixon get elected.

Very interesting documentary. Released files 50 years later, the show details how Nixon committed treason in an effort to have S Vietnam delay entering into peace talks with the South just before the 1968 election. LBJ had the goods on him & Nixon't agent Anna Chennault but chose not to release it prior to the election because his advisers told him that "we don't run elections that way in this country.'"

Hmm I had heard this theory before, if there is new evidence I will have to catch this later today, thanks.

I have been watching a BBC doc on Youtube titled Watergate, its four hours and fascinating. Nixons obstruction was sneaky and underhanded. There are so many similarities with the current occupant.

The so-called 'X File' has been locked up in the LBJ library until this year but people have been talking about Nixon's treachery for some time now. He selfishly cost untold number of American lives in Vietnam in order to win that election.

Last edited:
When a Candidate Conspired With a Foreign Power to Win An Election

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...spired-with-foreign-power-win-election-215461

It took decades to unravel Nixon’s sabotage of Vietnam peace talks. Now, the full story can be told.

Richard Nixon’s telephone calls came regularly during the 1968 campaign. And H.R. Haldeman took meticulous notes, jotting down the instructions he received from the candidate.
=======================================
Haldemann was Nixon's bag man & they showed his handwritten notes: the proof that Nixon was a traitor, aided by Haldemann, John Mitchell & Anna Chennault.

Last edited:
Hmm I had heard this theory before, if there is new evidence I will have to catch this later today, thanks.

I have been watching a BBC doc on Youtube titled Watergate, its four hours and fascinating. Nixons obstruction was sneaky and underhanded. There are so many similarities with the current occupant.

Here's a recording of LBJ and Dirksen. Part of it (about 4:15) is LBJ saying about what Nixon's people were doing, "This is treason." With Dirksen, saying "I know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEPI_9Ju0k

Last edited:
Here's a recording of LBJ and Dirksen. Part of it (about 4:15) is LBJ saying about what Nixon's people were doing, "This is treason." With Dirksen, saying "I know."

This rumor has been floating for years that Nixon intentionally stalled the Paris talks. It will damn his legacy even further.

This is way more than a theory. Anybody that lived through the period saw what was happening as it happened and then the documents particularly the recently uncovered Halderman documents simply fit hand in glove with what was happening. Halderman's docs were very much the missing puzzle pieces. Kissenger, Nixon and Halderman used Chennault something fierce. I always held the opinion that she simply did not understand how unscrupulous tricky Dick and his cohorts could be as she was both entirely convinced (wrongly) of the threat Communism represented and the inherent goodness of anything that was not Communism. She was actually wrong on both scores:
a) Communism is and was and will always be doomed for any country with actual resources at its disposal
b) the USA is an aspirational Constitutional Republic. We have yet to come anywhere near the aspirations expressed in our founding documents from the Declaration through the Constitution and Bill of Rights. We bend toward justice but slowly, grindingly slowly and with fits and starts.

There is a direct line of unscrupulous, manipulative, lying corrupt jerks from Nixon/Agnew and that entire bunch through Newt Gingrich to Bozo the President in the WH today. Like it or not and I simply do not care who wants to howl to the heavens on this score, the Dems have always had more actual public servants in their ranks and the GOP has alway had more ruthless, unscrupulous, selfish greedy asshats in their ranks. it is the exact reason why the Dems so often shoot themselves in the foot. Invariably they bring a knife to a gun fight or have some dumbassed cause they are convinced makes sense because there is a sense of fairness in public servants no matter how much you might want to complain about them. You can almost stamp out that sense of fairness but it is hard to knock it entirely out of a public servant. A jerk on the other hand is a jerk and there is not much you can do with him.

Eisenhower was a decent man. 43 was a decent man....not much grey matter, but a decent man. You can take the entire rest of the bunch after Eisenhower with the few exceptions I just made and throw them into the same miserable cesspool of sludge leading up to the absolute worst of the bunch, Donald Duck, a combination of ignorance and unscrupulousness not seen since Joe McCarthy.

Last edited:
This is way more than a theory. Anybody that lived through the period saw what was happening as it happened and then the documents particularly the recently uncovered Halderman documents simply fit hand in glove with what was happening. Halderman's docs were very much the missing puzzle pieces. Kissenger, Nixon and Halderman used Chennault something fierce. I always held the opinion that she simply did not understand how unscrupulous tricky Dick and his cohorts could be as she was both entirely convinced (wrongly) of the threat Communism represented and the inherent goodness of anything that was not Communism. She was actually wrong on both scores:
a) Communism is and was and will always be doomed for any country with actual resources at its disposal
b) the USA is an aspirational Constitutional Republic. We have yet to come anywhere near the aspirations expressed in our founding documents from the Declaration through the Constitution and Bill of Rights. We bend toward justice but slowly, grindingly slowly and with fits and starts.

There is a direct line of unscrupulous, manipulative, lying corrupt jerks from Nixon/Agnew and that entire bunch through Newt Gingrich to Bozo the President in the WH today. Like it or not and I simply do not care who wants to howl to the heavens on this score, the Dems have always had more actual public servants in their ranks and the GOP has alway had more ruthless, unscrupulous, selfish greedy asshats in their ranks. it is the exact reason why the Dems so often shoot themselves in the foot. Invariably they bring a knife to a gun fight or have some dumbassed cause they are convinced makes sense because there is a sense of fairness in public servants no matter how much you might want to complain about them. You can almost stamp out that sense of fairness but it is hard to knock it entirely out of a public service. A jerk on the other hand is a jerk and there is not much you can do with him.

Eisenhower was a decent man. 43 was a decent man....not much grey matter, but a decent man. You can take the entire rest of the bunch after Eisenhower with the few exceptions I just made and throw them into the same miserable cesspool of sludge leading up to the absolute worst of the bunch, Donald Duck, a combination of ignorance and unscrupulousness not seen since Joe McCarthy.

Thank goodness JFK prevailed in 1960. I shudder to think how Nixon would have handled the Cuban missile crisis.

Nixon was pure filth. Loathsome person, if I believed in hell, he would be there.

Thank goodness JFK prevailed in 1960. I shudder to think how Nixon would have handled the Cuban missile crisis.

We might not be here to talk about it.

I hope all the trump supporters watch this. They can prepare themselves when trump gets charged for treason.

We might not be here to talk about it.

Don't worry folks. We'll get another chance of being nuked. trump is doing his best to start WW3. If you saw Pence at the APEC summit you will know that he and trump are getting ready for a war. Cos a war always helps unpopular presidents win elections. Just look at how dubya's approval ratings soared when he started the war in Iraq.

I hope all the trump supporters watch this. They can prepare themselves when trump gets charged for treason.

I will have to see the evidence for treason. I am convinced Trump is guilty of obstruction big time. In fact Trump has been much more up front about obstruction than Nixon ever was, besides firing the SC. His supporters will claim Trump can fire anyone in the executive branch, true. But not to obstruct justice. That does not seem to sink into their brains. Its an open and shut case.

Nixon wasn't President BEFORE the 1968 elections. So Nixon was running the country when LBJ was POTUS?

Just like Russian meddling in 2016 was "Trump's Fault" WHEN OBAMA WAS POTUS. Der...

eyes crossed puppet.jpg

More asinine cluelessness from the left.

Conspiracies. Some theories are absolutely true even if they cannot be proven. I agree with Jackie Kennedy who said she thought her husband was murdered by associates of Lyndon Johnson. I was further convinced after researching Billie Sol Estes' compelling testimony about the people and events connected to the murder.

Last edited:
Nixon wasn't President BEFORE the 1968 elections. So Nixon was running the country when LBJ was POTUS?

Just like Russian meddling in 2016 was "Trump's Fault" WHEN OBAMA WAS POTUS. Der...

More asinine cluelessness from the left.

Very obvious that you know nothing about the story.

It was an interesting time in our country that's for sure. I have to wonder if I'll be around to hear all the things that come out about this president.

There is a direct line of unscrupulous, manipulative, lying corrupt jerks from Nixon/Agnew and that entire bunch through Newt Gingrich to Bozo the President in the WH today. Like it or not and I simply do not care who wants to howl to the heavens on this score, the Dems have always had more actual public servants in their ranks and the GOP has alway had more ruthless, unscrupulous, selfish greedy asshats in their ranks. it is the exact reason why the Dems so often shoot themselves in the foot. Invariably they bring a knife to a gun fight or have some dumbassed cause they are convinced makes sense because there is a sense of fairness in public servants no matter how much you might want to complain about them. You can almost stamp out that sense of fairness but it is hard to knock it entirely out of a public servant. A jerk on the other hand is a jerk and there is not much you can do with him.

More and more info is coming out to show that this probably isn't true. It's already been established as fact that when Nixon was president, Nixon got GHWB to interfere in an investigation into his Vice President by talking to the lead investigator. I doubt he was as dirty as Nixon, but as more and more info is coming out, nearly no one around Nixon was just an innocent bystander.

More and more info is coming out to show that this probably isn't true. It's already been established as fact that when Nixon was president, Nixon got GHWB to interfere in an investigation into his Vice President by talking to the lead investigator. I doubt he was as dirty as Nixon, but as more and more info is coming out, nearly no one around Nixon was just an innocent bystander.

"43" was Jr

Nixon was pure filth. Loathsome person, if I believed in hell, he would be there.

Nixon was scum alright, and so was Kissinger. Many people might not know this but Kissinger had his own tape recorders in his office too, and he was never taken to to task over his war crimes in Cambodia.

Nixon was scum alright, and so was Kissinger. Many people might not know this but Kissinger had his own tape recorders in his office too, and he was never taken to to task over his war crimes in Cambodia.

Instead, he was given the Nobel Peace Prize. Bastard should've been in Leavenworth to this day for all he did. Not just there but also in Chile.

Very obvious that you know nothing about the story.

Very obvious that any ridiculous bull**** claiming that Nixon, (or ANYONE besides the LBJ Adminstration) was directing foreign policy BEFORE HIS PRESIDENCY is a TESTIMONIAL to "KNOWING NOTHING."

Really? What capacity sis Kissinger have BEFORE NIXON WAS ELECTED?

And what "war crimes" were committed against the COMMUNITS SAVAGES in Cambodia?

You SUPPORTED POL POT and THE KHYMER ROUGE?

Had we been MORE AGGRESSIVE, we might hasve saved THEM and VIETNAM from the years of MURDEROUS COMMUNIST TYRANNY THEY BOTH SUFFERED AFTER WE LEFT.

Back
Top Bottom