• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
HOUSTON – A Texas Court of Appeals in Austin has overturned the conviction of former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, attorney Brian Wice told KVUE sister station KHOU 11 News.

...an appeals court said the evidence in the case was "legally insufficient to sustain DeLay’s convictions."

"I’m very happy about it," DeLay said in Washington Thursday. "I’m so glad they wrote the ruling about it because the ruling says I never should have been charged, much less indicted."
The court said all judgments against DeLay were reversed, and the former congressman was formally acquitted.

For both DeLay and his critics, the process was frustratingly slow, due in part to some of the appeals court justices in Austin recusing themselves as well as DeLay’s successful effort to have a judge on the panel removed because of anti-Republican comments she made.

Read the court's decision to overturn DeLay conviction (PDF)
Read the court's dissenting opinion (PDF)
Must have been one long piss-off.

File this under "duh". It was ridiculous from the get-go.

To me, I always thought the prosecution of Tom Delay was political.
I am glad the court overturned it.
Tom Delay might have been a hard nosed A$$, but he was our hard nosed A$$.

I knew from the start that the case against him was political bull ****. I am glad he is exonerated.

I knew from the start that the case against him was political bull ****. I am glad he is exonerated.

Gee, what a surprise, those that posted articles after articles condemning Delay and trumpeting his conviction got their time in the sun, got their publicity, and now like with all other liberal failures go silent when their claims are reversed or proven false.

File this under "duh". It was ridiculous from the get-go.

I never did like Tom Delay.

I also never did like the idea of convicting anyone on insufficient evidence.

If they can do it to Tom Delay, they can do it to anyone.

To me, I always thought the prosecution of Tom Delay was political.
I am glad the court overturned it.
Tom Delay might have been a hard nosed A$$, but he was our hard nosed A$$.

Gee, what a surprise, those that posted articles after articles condemning Delay and trumpeting his conviction got their time in the sun, got their publicity, and now like with all other liberal failures go silent when their claims are reversed or proven false.
They got what they wanted... a leading republican to resign. Wasn't his resignation also due to some idiotic rule by the Republicans that those under investigation or some such nonsense had to resign?

Where does he go to get his good name back... and then there are the likes of Rangel who just keep on waltz'in.

What about people who never paid attention to the case in the first place?

They got what they wanted... a leading republican to resign. Wasn't his resignation also due to some idiotic rule by the Republicans that those under investigation or some such nonsense had to resign?

Where does he go to get his good name back... and then there are the likes of Rangel who just keep on waltz'in.

It really is a shame that politics have gotten to this point. The only real answer seems to be term limits which reduces the power of politicians but to answer your question, Democrats got what they wanted and aren't concerned about his reputation or getting his name back. That is sad.

What about people who never paid attention to the case in the first place?

Those wouldn't be many here in this forum most of whom jumped up and down celebrating the Delay charges. They got what they wanted and now are no where to be found. You see there are no such thing as consequences for making invalid charges and destroying someone else's reputation.

Good to see him get this overturned. It was nothing but a political hack job to start with.

However some positive things did come to light in all this. He did do the right thing and resign after being charged. Most people would have tried to hang on and abuse their political power in trying to get the charges reduced or dropped. Of course along the way anyone that does that can't be trusted for anything and our country has to suffer through it. To bad more politicians don't set positive examples in a negative environment.

The court ruling stated,
we reverse the judgments of the trial court and render judgments of acquittal
I am wondering if jeopardy is attached?
One of the news stations said the Travis County prosecutor may try to appeal the appeal.
I thought after an acquittal, it was done.

Fixed for your pleasure.

They would have looked like this:

first-cell-phone.jpg

Good to have friends in high places and enough money to buy them off..

Nevermind that he didn't commit a crime, because at the time he moved the money, that activity hadn't been made illegal yet.

Sorry, but the criminal code doesn't have a grandfather clause.

A prime example of democrat integrity and republican courage...not...

Back
Top Bottom