• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tom Delay and Margaret Thatcher??

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The House investigation of Tom Delay is starting to get really weird. Margaret Thatcher was asked to testify. In this part of the probe, it is alleged that, according to documents obtained by the committee, that Jack Abramoff was getting his clients to pay for trips to England in return for Tom Delay getting legislation passed that benefitted them. Where Margaret Thatcher fits in all of this God only knows.

Article is here.

danarhea said:
The House investigation of Tom Delay is starting to get really weird. Margaret Thatcher was asked to testify. In this part of the probe, it is alleged that, according to documents obtained by the committee, that Jack Abramoff was getting his clients to pay for trips to England in return for Tom Delay getting legislation passed that benefitted them. Where Margaret Thatcher fits in all of this God only knows.

Article is here.

Oooooooooh, Danarhea, this is getting good.

In today's Washington Post, Dana Milbank pointed out that when Clinton made an accusation that he was being investigated by a "partisan zealot" that Tom DeLay found it shameful that the president would blame the prosecutor and called for Clinton's resignation. Does Clinton's accusation sound remotely familiar? ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301524.html

Yeah, I heard about Thatcher being questioned the other day. I'm not sure what she knows that is relevant to this investigation, but it seems to be like a spot on your shirt, the more you rub it the bigger it gets.

If you go back and read some of DeLay's criticisms of the Clinton administration, they sound almost identical to some people's criticisms of the Bush administration. :(

BWG said:
Yeah, I heard about Thatcher being questioned the other day. I'm not sure what she knows that is relevant to this investigation, but it seems to be like a spot on your shirt, the more you rub it the bigger it gets.

If you go back and read some of DeLay's criticisms of the Clinton administration, they sound almost identical to some people's criticisms of the Bush administration. :(

BWG, have you seen this?

Verbatim quotes from when Clinton was committing troops to Bosnia:

"You can support the troops but not the president."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

Really, Tom? How can that be? That's not what all the republicans tell me when I say I DO NOT Support this war, but support our troops.

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
---Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
---Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

Sean, help us out here. What can we tell Cindy Sheehan and the other 1900 parent(s) about their child coming home in a body bag? You're such the diplomat. Help your president out here, will ya?

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
---Sen Rick Santorum (R-PA)

Rick, why not make the same demands on Bush? BTW, you're going to lose your Senate seat next year. Buh-bye.

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
---Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

OMG, are you serious, Karen?

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
---Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

Hello Kettle--meet pot. Oh, and good luck in jail.

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
-Governor George W Bush (R-TX)

Practice what you preach, you arrogant a$$.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/8/3/17167/05105

Back
Top Bottom