• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tom Cotton believes one of the major problems facing America is that we don't imprison enough of our people

😂 CNN has such a liberal bias that they are nothing more than a propaganda arm of the left at this point. For you to argue otherwise only destroys your credibility.
Excellent argument Fletch, thanks for declaring my credibility destroyed. I don’t know what we would do without your straight-to-the-punch insights here.

All MSM news has a corporate bias. This is why FOX wouldn’t go along with the election fraud claims of Trump even though they pull to the right of the political spectrum. Same reason CNN is telling us how we need to get the kids back in school (so parents can get back to work)
without vaccinations for students or teachers.

you’re fighting the wrong enemy.

Excellent argument Fletch, thanks for declaring my credibility destroyed. I don’t know what we would do without your straight-to-the-punch insights here.

All MSM news has a corporate bias. This is why FOX wouldn’t go along with the election fraud claims of Trump even though they pull to the right of the political spectrum. Same reason CNN is telling us how we need to get the kids back in school (so parents can get back to work)
without vaccinations for students or teachers.

you’re fighting the wrong enemy.
CNN is a far left propaganda arm of the democrat party. You can pretend that isnt true all you like. Its your credibility at risk here.

CNN is a far left propaganda arm of the democrat party. You can pretend that isnt true all you like. Its your credibility at risk here.
The DNC is not a far left organization. They actively silence leftists for the benefit of their corporate masters. CNN will do whatever the corporate overlords tell them to, just like FOX, MSNBC, and all the other MSM.
My credibility with you is irrelevant.

Context Jasper. And I am commenting on the OP. Cottons comment was that since violent crime is soaring across the US, there arent enough violent criminals in jail. That is so obviously true that even liberals should understand it. But they dont. You guys are so invested in hatred of the right that had he said the sky is blue you would claim he was wrong and racist for saying it.
Except the moron didn't say that. Read the OP again. I'd have thought libertarians could read simple English, but I guess not. Or you have to change what he said to support jailing more people, like a good libertarian, or something. I struck through the part of your comment NOT said by Cotton.

He opposed sentencing reform signed by Trump. He actually believes we need more jails, more people's freedoms taken by the all powerful state, which is awfully libertarian of Cotton. Or authoritarian. Whatever, right? Libs are against it, so you're for it. Nuff said!

Except the moron didn't say that. Read the OP again. I'd have thought libertarians could read simple English, but I guess not. Or you have to change what he said to support jailing more people, like a good libertarian, or something. I struck through the part of your comment NOT said by Cotton.

He opposed sentencing reform signed by Trump. He actually believes we need more jails, more people's freedoms taken by the all powerful state, which is awfully libertarian of Cotton. Or authoritarian. Whatever, right? Libs are against it, so you're for it. Nuff said!
The tweet quoted a CNN article about rising violent crime. He was responding to that. Does literally everything have to be explained to you?

There is no 'democrat' party.

The tweet quoted a CNN article about rising violent crime. He was responding to that. Does literally everything have to be explained to you?
I'm just reading what Cotton wrote. Don't blame us for taking him at his word. And the plain reading is entirely consistent with him opposing the most recent criminal reform bill signed by Trump. He was one of very few who opposed it.

He's a police state authoritarian. He's consistent on this subject. If you don't know about his long history of opposing even MINOR relaxing of min sentences, time off for good behavior, mandatory minimums, three strikes, etc. then you're defending someone whose views you are ignorant about. He's as far on the "lock them up and throw away the key" side as there is in the Senate, a police state outlier, cheerleader. He thinks selling drugs is a violent crime. It's not of course, but when he quotes stats he lumps drug dealers in federal prison with murderers and other violent felons.

I'm just reading what Cotton wrote. Don't blame us for taking him at his word. And the plain reading is entirely consistent with him opposing the most recent criminal reform bill signed by Trump. He was one of very few who opposed it.

He's a police state authoritarian. He's consistent on this subject. If you don't know about his long history of opposing even MINOR relaxing of min sentences, time off for good behavior, mandatory minimums, three strikes, etc. then you're defending someone whose views you are ignorant about. He's as far on the "lock them up and throw away the key" side as there is in the Senate, a police state outlier, cheerleader. He thinks selling drugs is a violent crime. It's not of course, but when he quotes stats he lumps drug dealers in federal prison with murderers and other violent felons.

The topic of this thread isnt his stance on some reform bill but his comment on an article by CNN. If violent crime is on the rise everywhere, then clearly there arent enough violent criminals in prison. That seems obvious, but everything has to be spelled out for you libs it seems.

It's kind of difficult to say what world Senator Cotton lives in if he honestly believes America has an "under incarceration" problem on it's hands. We are roughly 4.2% of the world population, but have more than 20% of the total prisoners. Perhaps this goes back to the Republican line of thinking that the main issue with gun violence is that we need more guns? Of course, we are also talking about a man who wanted to deploy the military on people protesting for racial justice last summer, so I guess he is being consistent, if nothing else.

View attachment 67327029

Whether at home or abroad, imagine if America put as much effort into fixing the causes of our problems as we do looking for more violent, backwards thinking solutions to "solve" them that never actually work and end up creating even more headaches.

If we were incarcerating people for being ignorant and just plain dumb, we might have another 73 million (entire GOP) incarcerated. In that respect, we are failing in incarcerating those that should be incarcerated.

Obviously we need more people in jails. And if we jail them in our cities, instead of God-forsaken rural areas as we currently do, we could provide jobs to our criminals' relatives in those cities. Our large prison population is a sign of our society's success, after all. That and the fact that we are the only developed democratic nation that still executes people make us the envy of the world.
Our large prison population is a sign that we don't execute enough people.

Our large prison population is a sign that we don't execute enough people.

Fascinating! If I look at the statistics for other modern democracies, will I find that those who execute, proportionally, more people than the US have lower crime statistics?

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Fascinating! If I look at the statistics for other modern democracies, will I find that those who execute, proportionally, more people than the US have lower crime statistics?

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
You will find that countries inhabited largely by whites and NE Asians have lower crime rates, regardless of their form of government or execution rate.

The topic of this thread isnt his stance on some reform bill but his comment on an article by CNN. If violent crime is on the rise everywhere, then clearly there arent enough violent criminals in prison. That seems obvious, but everything has to be spelled out for you libs it seems.
You keep putting words in the tweet that Cotton didn't write, and we know he didn't mean because he's got a well documented history, that you insist we all ignore.

I sure hope you're not hurting yourself carrying water for a police state authoritarian. Might be hard to explain at your next "libertarian" gathering...

You keep putting words in the tweet that Cotton didn't write, and we know he didn't mean because he's got a well documented history, that you insist we all ignore.

I sure hope you're not hurting yourself carrying water for a police state authoritarian. Might be hard to explain at your next "libertarian" gathering...
I guess I will just have to keep repeating myself until what is obvious sinks into your skull. Context Jasper. The context of his comment was the story linked in his tweet.

I guess I will just have to keep repeating myself until what is obvious sinks into your skull. Context Jasper. The context of his comment was the story linked in his tweet.
And he has a long, long history of supporting a bigger police state. That's also CONTEXT for the Tweet. Seems like it would be obvious to a "libertarian" but I guess not. Look up his history. I linked to part of it. He is what he is and you're defending him.

And he has a long, long history of supporting a bigger police state. That's also CONTEXT for the Tweet. Seems like it would be obvious to a "libertarian" but I guess not. Look up his history. I linked to part of it. He is what he is and you're defending him.
No, that is NOT the context of the tweet, that is the hackish bull**** you felt like throwing in there. The fact remains that what he said is accurate. You just feel you have to reject what he said no matter how truthful due to your intolerance of any viewpoint that doesnt originate from your tribe.

There are some 1.2 million violent crimes and approx 16,000 homicides every year. The vast majority of the victims of those murders and violent crimes are minorities. How can you disagree with him? Why do you hate black people so much that you would support having more criminals victimizing black people?

It's kind of difficult to say what world Senator Cotton lives in if he honestly believes America has an "under incarceration" problem on it's hands. We are roughly 4.2% of the world population, but have more than 20% of the total prisoners. Perhaps this goes back to the Republican line of thinking that the main issue with gun violence is that we need more guns? Of course, we are also talking about a man who wanted to deploy the military on people protesting for racial justice last summer, so I guess he is being consistent, if nothing else.

View attachment 67327029

Whether at home or abroad, imagine if America put as much effort into fixing the causes of our problems as we do looking for more violent, backwards thinking solutions to "solve" them that never actually work and end up creating even more headaches.

He's absolutely right. It's time the left accepted the fact that the US has more criminals than other countries and how stupid it would be to just let them run around loose just because we are embarrassed of how many criminals this country has.

Maybe Cotton's real motive was seeing how many cliches he could coax out of the self-righteous, pandering white woke crowd.
Whew boy - I lost count.
LAFFRIOT!

No, that is NOT the context of the tweet, that is the hackish bull**** you felt like throwing in there. The fact remains that what he said is accurate. You just feel you have to reject what he said no matter how truthful due to your intolerance of any viewpoint that doesnt originate from your tribe.
Sure, it's accurate if you add some words he didn't type and ignore his long history of cheering on a bigger police state in a dozen different contexts. And the tribe stuff is damn hilarious given it's you, the so-called "libertarian," carrying water for that guy, who's way, way on the right fringe of the GOP on the issue, and was one of a dozen or so to oppose the latest reform bill signed by TRUMP because it was too lenient.

Look, I get it - you don't trust Big Government except with the power to arrest and lock people up for decades, and strip them of their freedoms for as long as possible because they might commit another crime. That's the Cotton theory of criminal justice. If they're arrested, keep them in jail till they're old men, or else they commit other crimes. That's what libertarianism is all about - a police state with 'free' markets and low taxes, or something. Who the hell knows. But at least admit what you are - a cheerleader for the biggest police state cheerleader in the Senate. That is who Cotton is - he's consistent on that. No one should doubt where he stands because he's always trying to blow up any attempt at shorter sentences etc.

Maybe Cotton's real motive was seeing how many cliches he could coax out of the self-righteous, pandering white woke crowd.
Whew boy - I lost count.
LAFFRIOT!
Well, he certainly allowed us to identify conservatives who are police state authoritarians!! Not that we needed any help. The GOP hates big government, except the police state, then there is no limit to how much power we should give the all-powerful State with a license to use deadly force and arrest and jail people for decades.

Well, he certainly allowed us to identify conservatives who are police state authoritarians!! Not that we needed any help. The GOP hates big government, except the police state, then there is no limit to how much power we should give the all-powerful State with a license to use deadly force and arrest and jail people for decades.
Daily chuckle.

Is there no end to the cliches and slogans?

Back
Top Bottom