• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tom Cotton believes one of the major problems facing America is that we don't imprison enough of our people

How an issue is framed can change how one goes about doing something about it.

Consider the Covid-19 viral pandemic. We could have done without masks and vaccines and, instead, built more hospitals. In other words, we could have chosen to deal with people once they had gotten the disease rather than preventing them from getting it.

Now return to the issue of crime in the US.

Yup. You got it!

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Congressman Thomas Cotton can be counted on for a real knee-slapper about every 3 months or so. He's right on schedule.

Regards, stay safe 'n well ... 'n amused.

I didnt cheer anything. But you gotta love the leftist lying rather than making an honest post.
But they're rightfully jailed, right? And you sure as hell didn't offer any objection to any of those in prison. Libertarian!!

Got to love the 'libertarian' cheering a BIGGER police state. Especially that part that we filled the prisons up with those charged with drug crimes.

Some of the most reprehensible, socially authoritarian posts I see on this forum come from self described Libertarians. It's almost as if some of they are disingenuous Trumpists pretending to be something else because they don't want to be honest about who and what they really are.

If you think the people in prison dont belong there, perhaps you will open up your home to a couple of them.

That is just nonsensical, people who do not need to be in jail or no longer belong there need to be living independently as normal members of society.

The issue is the backward views of some Americans on the justice system and imprisonment.

Given that 44% return to jail in their first year out......yeah.

Can't shoot em, and can't eat em.
And you believe it is because they prefer to be jailed, or is it possible you are referring to another failed aspect of the American justice system?

It's kind of difficult to say what world Senator Cotton lives in if he honestly believes America has an "under incarceration" problem on it's hands. We are roughly 4.2% of the world population, but have more than 20% of the total prisoners. Perhaps this goes back to the Republican line of thinking that the main issue with gun violence is that we need more guns? Of course, we are also talking about a man who wanted to deploy the military on people protesting for racial justice last summer, so I guess he is being consistent, if nothing else.

View attachment 67327029

Whether at home or abroad, imagine if America put as much effort into fixing the causes of our problems as we do looking for more violent, backwards thinking solutions to "solve" them that never actually work and end up creating even more headaches.

I know if I were a republican I would be outraged that we are not locking up enough people. Lock her up! Lock him up! Lock them all up trump responds to the chants.

Our incarceration rate follows income; the rich don't go to prison, only the poor who can't afford a million dollar lawyer do. 10% vs 90%.

It's kind of difficult to say what world Senator Cotton lives in if he honestly believes America has an "under incarceration" problem on it's hands. We are roughly 4.2% of the world population, but have more than 20% of the total prisoners. Perhaps this goes back to the Republican line of thinking that the main issue with gun violence is that we need more guns? Of course, we are also talking about a man who wanted to deploy the military on people protesting for racial justice last summer, so I guess he is being consistent, if nothing else.

View attachment 67327029

Whether at home or abroad, imagine if America put as much effort into fixing the causes of our problems as we do looking for more violent, backwards thinking solutions to "solve" them that never actually work and end up creating even more headaches.

If the statistics are right, then so could he be in a round a bout way. I think a lot of our lesser offense should be drastically reduced, but if violent crime is up then at least that segment of criminal would need to be locked up (at least as much as the violent crime was up). Don't you think?

And you believe it is because they prefer to be jailed, or is it possible you are referring to another failed aspect of the American justice system?

Your failed logic is the only concern.

Can we send them all to your house and let you take care of them?

What's with people quoting Joe Biden circa 1993 and shit? Dude, it was 30 years ago. Stop lmao. It's so pathetic.

And white collar crimes puts all other crimes to shame especially those on capitol hill such as more than 560,000 dead COVID victims , millions of small business employees out of work and thousands of small business people out of business and all of the other crimes Rump and the radical right wing nuts commit and the USPS scandal ongoing, etc etc etc

this list may still grow until midnight

I cannot even begin to taker you seriously? Who do you want to charge with a crime over the pandemic? And what white collar crime puts murder, rape,, etc to shame?

Some of the most reprehensible, socially authoritarian posts I see on this forum come from self described Libertarians. It's almost as if some of they are disingenuous Trumpists pretending to be something else because they don't want to be honest about who and what they really are.
Really? Point me to one of those posts. Or just admit you were lying and save us both a lot of time.

But they're rightfully jailed, right? And you sure as hell didn't offer any objection to any of those in prison. Libertarian!!
Is who rightfully jailed? Not sure what your point here is other than I interrupted this hate America thread and you are pissed off about it.

If the statistics are right, then so could he be in a round a bout way. I think a lot of our lesser offense should be drastically reduced, but if violent crime is up then at least that segment of criminal would need to be locked up (at least as much as the violent crime was up). Don't you think?
If violent crime is rising across the country then it stands to reason that there arent enough violent criminals behind bars. That sort of logic that wont penetrate the liberal skull however.

It is somewhat amazing that the Cotton's of the country have gone from dog whistling to outright bull horning every possible racial trope there is.

Is who rightfully jailed? Not sure what your point here is other than I interrupted this hate America thread and you are pissed off about it.
You replied to the OP with a snide comment about inviting criminals into their home. I work with a lot of them just post release, and they're mostly just drug addicts who got in trouble supporting their habit, or dealt a little to fund their habit. I don't know if that counts or not. They don't live with us.

But do you agree or not with Cotton that overall our problem is too few people in prison. We lead the world in that - we are truly #1! Should we build on that lead? Cotton thinks so - he opposed the "Trump" bill, one of a very few, and truly believes our problem is not enough prisons, not enough behind bars. Can you comment on the OP or are you content to childishly insult the liberals on the thread. That seems to be your strong suit, versus commenting on the merits.

FWIW, sure, obviously if we know of a violent criminal, and can prove in court they committed a violent crime, they should be behind bars. I'm pretty sure there's nowhere in America that's not a goal. If there is something bipartisan, it's a belief that violent crimes should be punished. In the meantime, let out a few thousands or 10s of thousands whose only crime involves our stupid and pointless War on Drugs, that only serves the interests of those in the process of arresting then jailing the dealers and users.

Also, too, a big part of the violent crime is directly related to protecting the profits of the drug trade. Thanks War on Drugs! The cartels really ought to be sending all of us Christmas cards with a $20 bill or something as a token of their appreciation, don't you think? Morons like Sen. Cotton deserve a real bonus from the gangs - $thousands at least.

Last edited:
If violent crime is rising across the country then it stands to reason that there arent enough violent criminals behind bars. That sort of logic that wont penetrate the liberal skull however.

Violent crime is down 50% since its peak in the 1990’s. Cotton is working on turning his state into a private prison-friendly state. The OP article is more proof that CNN doesn’t have a liberal bias, they have a corporate bias.

You replied to the OP with a snide comment about inviting criminals into their home. I work with a lot of them just post release, and they're mostly just drug addicts who got in trouble supporting their habit, or dealt a little to fund their habit. I don't know if that counts or not. They don't live with us.

But do you agree or not with Cotton that overall our problem is too few people in prison. We lead the world in that - we are truly #1! Should we build on that lead? Cotton thinks so - he opposed the "Trump" bill, one of a very few, and truly believes our problem is not enough prisons, not enough behind bars. Can you comment on the OP or are you content to childishly insult the liberals on the thread. That seems to be your strong suit, versus commenting on the merits.

FWIW, sure, obviously if we know of a violent criminal, and can prove in court they committed a violent crime, they should be behind bars. I'm pretty sure there's nowhere in America that's not a goal. If there is something bipartisan, it's a belief that violent crimes should be punished. In the meantime, let out a few thousands or 10s of thousands whose only crime involves our stupid and pointless War on Drugs, that only serves the interests of those in the process of arresting then jailing the dealers and users.

Also, too, a big part of the violent crime is directly related to protecting the profits of the drug trade. Thanks War on Drugs! The cartels really ought to be sending all of us Christmas cards with a $20 bill or something as a token of their appreciation, don't you think? Morons like Sen. Cotton deserve a real bonus from the gangs - $thousands at least.
Context Jasper. And I am commenting on the OP. Cottons comment was that since violent crime is soaring across the US, there arent enough violent criminals in jail. That is so obviously true that even liberals should understand it. But they dont. You guys are so invested in hatred of the right that had he said the sky is blue you would claim he was wrong and racist for saying it.

Follow the Wall Street Investments and Campaign Contributions aka kickbacks

It is somewhat amazing that the Cotton's of the country have gone from dog whistling to outright bull horning every possible racial trope there is.
Yes, racists hear someone speak about crime and violence and the need to take criminals off the street and they immediately see skin color. Like you just did.

Violent crime is down 50% since its peak in the 1990’s. Cotton is working on turning his state into a private prison-friendly state. The OP article is more proof that CNN doesn’t have a liberal bias, they have a corporate bias.
😂 CNN has such a liberal bias that they are nothing more than a propaganda arm of the left at this point. For you to argue otherwise only destroys your credibility.

That would be great! I think most would agree that the Criminal Justice System is a wreck. The problem is, some people believe that violent criminals that are convicted are released just to commit more violent crime. And, of course others believe the prisons are filled with non- violent criminals. It depends on your definition of violent crime and/or what an appropriate sentence should be after considering all the details of a crime.

Premeditated murder, forcible rape and child molestation. Lock em up and throw away the key, right? How about all other types of killings that are not premeditated, or cops or DUI drivers that kill people. And, how about drug dealers whose sales are responsible for more deaths per year than all other types of murders combined. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't thought or said, I wish I was judge!

National Drug-Involved Overdose Deaths by Specific Category—Number Among All Ages, 1999-2019. Overall, drug overdose deaths rose from 2018 to 2019 with 70,630 drug overdose deaths reported in 2019. Deaths involving other synthetic opioids other than methadone (primarily fentanyl) continued to rise with more than 36,359 overdose deaths reported in 2019. Those involving psychostimulants with abuse potential (primarily methamphetamine) also continued to increase (Source: CDC WONDER).

There are 9 charts in the link reporting different types of deaths making it difficult to determine the exact number of total deaths from illicit drug sales, but I think it's clear that it's much higher than the total number of just over 16,000 homicides in the US in 2019.

You be the judge and jury.

Overdose deaths.JPG

Back
Top Bottom