• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's tomato harvest

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I love tomatoes, and this is a good year for them in this area. We've had rains later in the spring season, and it's only reached triple digits once that I know of, so far. I like to grow a wide variety, so some of these will look odd to you guys, since they are old heirloom varieties.
The large pale yellow variety that you can see at the top left area is a Great White variety. It is almost 5 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 pounds- huge to be grown in this part of the country.

Those are rweally cool lizzie!

you're ahead of me; none of mine are ripe yet. i'm growing two heirlooms and a hybrid.

I love tomatoes, and this is a good year for them in this area. We've had rains later in the spring season, and it's only reached triple digits once that I know of, so far. I like to grow a wide variety, so some of these will look odd to you guys, since they are old heirloom varieties.
The large pale yellow variety that you can see at the top left area is a Great White variety. It is almost 5 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 pounds- huge to be grown in this part of the country.

They look great lizzie. :) There's nothing like fresh garden tomatoes. Store bought ones just can't compare.

you're ahead of me; none of mine are ripe yet. i'm growing two heirlooms and a hybrid.

Yes, we have a longer growing season here in the north east too.

We have reached the time of year that it's too hot for pollination to happen, so I will spend the summer trying to keep the plants alive for a fall harvest. It won't be easy.

I'm hungry now!

We have reached the time of year that it's too hot for pollination to happen, so I will spend the summer trying to keep the plants alive for a fall harvest. It won't be easy.

i did that last year, with limited success. lost the corn and pumpkins; had just enough tomatoes for myself. normally, i have too many to give away. this year seems more typical.

i did that last year, with limited success. lost the corn and pumpkins; had just enough tomatoes for myself. normally, i have too many to give away. this year seems more typical.

What I am having a deluge of this year, is bugs (stinkbugs and squash bugs). I am an organic gardener, and I don't usually use any type of bug control besides hand-picking. Last week, I actually went and bought some pyrethrin (still considered organic), but I hate to use it. I have to apply it late in the evening, after the honeybees have gone back to their hive, so that they won't be exposed.

I love a grilled cheese sandwich with fresh garden tomato. The tomato gets all warm and juicy. YUM! The tomato adds a little bit of healthfulness to the grilled cheese sandwich too. :mrgreen:

I love a grilled cheese sandwich with fresh garden tomato. The tomato gets all warm and juicy. YUM! The tomato adds a little bit of healthfulness to the grilled cheese sandwich too. :mrgreen:

Yummmm.
My favorite is Oroweat wheatberry toast, slathered with Hellman's mayo, a big slice of tomato, and a little salt and pepper. :mrgreen:

What I am having a deluge of this year, is bugs. I am an organic gardener, and I don't usually use any type of bug control besides hand-picking. Last week, I actually went and bought some pyrethrin (still considered organic), but I hate to use it.

i lost my pumpkin crop to squash bugs last year. i fought them using every tool at my disposal, and i lost the battle. i'm checking the leaves every day this year.

Excellent tomatoes, Lizzie. When do we get a pic of your peaches?;)

i lost my pumpkin crop to squash bugs last year. i fought them using every tool at my disposal, and i lost the battle. i'm checking the leaves every day this year.

I dont know why but I thought about the ladybug I found in my room today when I read your post.

Our neighbors grow heirloom tomatoes, and they are kind enough to give us samples. OMG, I realized that I had never in my life actually tasted a real tomato until then! They are fabulous and awesome!

No peaches this year. Killed by a May 2 frost. ;)

When I lived on a ranch out side of Waco we use to burn tires to save the peaches when a frost came around.

I have my first tomato ready to pick but I am given it a few more days. Now that the moon has been full, they should be coming on pretty good. I am a little freaked out by the almost complete lack of bees this year. We had a bunch of honey bees in January which are all but gone now but that has happened before. It is the lack of bumble bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets which are usually about plenty this time of the year and I have only see a couple of bumble bees and a few very disoriented wasps. Even the mosquitoes and gnats are thinned out.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Hmm, I think I'll pass. :lol:

There are always those tekie torch things if you don't have a lot of ground to cover

I have my first tomato ready to pick but I am given it a few more days. Now that the moon has been full, they should be coming on pretty good. I am a little freaked out by the almost complete lack of bees this year. We had a bunch of honey bees in January which are all but gone now but that has happened before. It is the lack of bumble bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets which are usually about plenty this time of the year and I have only see a couple of bumble bees and a few very disoriented wasps. Even the mosquitoes and gnats are thinned out.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

What do you grow that the bees usually pollinate?

Back
Top Bottom