• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's tomato harvest

So far, I haven't had any problems with them bothering the tomatoes. It may have something to do with the fact that the squirrels raid my birdfeeders, and get full before they find the tomatoes. :lol:

My Grandfather use to shoot 'em with a .22 in the backyard over here in my part of town

I was going to buy one of those upside down planters like on TV, but I have no place to hang it where the squirrels won't get to it. The squirrels around here are horrible. There are tons of them. My cousin wants to come over with his bow and shoot some of them for practice. :lol:

You can borrow my AR...

You can borrow my AR...

Lol! That might be a bit of overkill don't you think? There'd be pieces of squirrel everywhere, stinking up the place.

Lol! That might be a bit of overkill don't you think? There'd be pieces of squirrel everywhere, stinking up the place.

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to the garden...

What I am having a deluge of this year, is bugs (stinkbugs and squash bugs). I am an organic gardener, and I don't usually use any type of bug control besides hand-picking. Last week, I actually went and bought some pyrethrin (still considered organic), but I hate to use it. I have to apply it late in the evening, after the honeybees have gone back to their hive, so that they won't be exposed.

Did you know that common tansy is a squash bug repellant? Plant with whatever your growing that squash bugs like, and it really does seem to help.

Fair warning though, dig up the tansy at end of season, or they'll grow roots to the center of the earth. That little voice of experience is whispering, lol.

I love tomatoes, and this is a good year for them in this area. We've had rains later in the spring season, and it's only reached triple digits once that I know of, so far. I like to grow a wide variety, so some of these will look odd to you guys, since they are old heirloom varieties.
The large pale yellow variety that you can see at the top left area is a Great White variety. It is almost 5 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 pounds- huge to be grown in this part of the country.

Real tomatoes: the perfect meal.

I haven't actually gotten to eat any of the few of mine that have ripened. These rains aren't stopping, we're way over normal for this time of year, and things just aren't producing without the sun.
The raccoons enjoyed them though. They've been climbing the fence around the garden and having a grand ol' time.

I think it's time to hook up 200V to that fence....

Back
Top Bottom