• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's tomato harvest

Yummmm.
My favorite is Oroweat wheatberry toast, slathered with Hellman's mayo, a big slice of tomato, and a little salt and pepper. :mrgreen:

I love that bread and that sounds like a terrific sandwich lizzie.

I think it's regional to the NW area, but we have a brand that is increasing in visibility. Costco carries it now. It's called Dave's Killer Bread. If you love that Orowheat, you might well love Dave's. I'm fond of the 21 Whole Grains and the Powerseed varieties.

Dave's Killer Bread!!!

You can order online that says.

I'm a long way out for tomatoes yet. I have 16 plants and dozen kinds of peppers. You harvest makes my mouth water!

What do you grow that the bees usually pollinate?

theoretically almost everything I suppose. This year I have about 4 different kinds of tomatoes, 6 different kinds of peppers, 3 different squashes, corn, okra, cucumbers, beets, 4 different kinds of lettuce, yellow-eyed peas, Christmas lima beans, sweet onions, and 3 different kinds of potatoes. My spring stuff like green onions and radishes are pretty spent and my garlic is dying back but I seldom dig that and replant it. I planted some ground cherry seeds but so far nothing from them.

Edit: and a billion green beans which I do not even like

theoretically almost everything I suppose. This year I have about 4 different kinds of tomatoes, 6 different kinds of peppers, 3 different squashes, corn, okra, cucumbers, beets, 4 different kinds of lettuce, yellow-eyed peas, Christmas lima beans, sweet onions, and 3 different kinds of potatoes. My spring stuff like green onions and radishes are pretty spent and my garlic is dying back but I seldom dig that and replant it. I planted some ground cherry seeds but so far nothing from them.

Edit: and a billion green beans which I do not even like

As far as I know, only the squash and cukes should need pollinators for production. If you don't have bees pollinating, you can hand-pollinate them. It's a pain in the backside, but it works.

As far as I know, only the squash and cukes should need pollinators for production. If you don't have bees pollinating, you can hand-pollinate them. It's a pain in the backside, but it works.

I won't. I'll let the ants or other bugs or wind do it. My concern about the noticeable absence of bees is a little more big picture than the success or failure of my garden quite frankly. It is really quite bizarre. While I am no fan of yellow jackets, I cannot recall ever not having to battle them. It feels like the bugs all know something we don't and have almost all headed for the hills.

I won't. I'll let the ants or other bugs or wind do it. My concern about the noticeable absence of bees is a little more big picture than the success or failure of my garden quite frankly. It is really quite bizarre. While I am no fan of yellow jackets, I cannot recall ever not having to battle them. It feels like the bugs all know something we don't and have almost all headed for the hills.

Interesting. I have been deluged with all kinds of bugs and insects here. In fact, today, I was looking out the window here at my desk, and saw a virtual "herd" of dragonflies flying over the field. The honeybees are going strong. I haven't seen bumblers, but there is plenty of wasps. Maybe someone around your area has been using a lot of pesticides?

Interesting. I have been deluged with all kinds of bugs and insects here. In fact, today, I was looking out the window here at my desk, and saw a virtual "herd" of dragonflies flying over the field. The honeybees are going strong. I haven't seen bumblers, but there is plenty of wasps. Maybe someone around your area has been using a lot of pesticides?

I have wondered about that since I am situated more or less between two golf courses, one of which is now owned and operated by a golf pro who thinks he can also be the greenskeeper even though he has no real experience at that, but I wouldn't think it would be that effective even if he were carpet bombing the place with chemicals.

I have wondered about that since I am situated more or less between two golf courses, one of which is now owned and operated by a golf pro who thinks he can also be the greenskeeper even though he has no real experience at that, but I wouldn't think it would be that effective even if he were carpet bombing the place with chemicals.

It really depends on what is being sprayed, and whether or not they are plants that pollinators like to visit. As an example, when corn is in the tassle stage, honeybees will visit for the pollen. If a crop is sprayed during that time period, bees will be more likely affected. If they are just treating turf grasses, not so likely. We have lost many honeybee colonies due to varoa mites in this country over the past 15-20 years.

It really depends on what is being sprayed, and whether or not they are plants that pollinators like to visit. As an example, when corn is in the tassle stage, honeybees will visit for the pollen. If a crop is sprayed during that time period, bees will be more likely affected. If they are just treating turf grasses, not so likely. We have lost many honeybee colonies due to varoa mites in this country over the past 15-20 years.

I suspect in my area weather has a part to play in the honey bee issue. for the last 4 or 5 years, we have had a warm week in January where the honey bees come out in droves. I have some apple rose bushes that will be loaded down with hundred if not thousands of them. The freeze then abruptly return and by the time spring officially arrives, the honey bees do not come back with it. I am glad to at least see them still alive, but it makes me wonder where the hell they go when they are not out and about when flowers are blooming and clover is jumping.

I suspect in my area weather has a part to play in the honey bee issue. for the last 4 or 5 years, we have had a warm week in January where the honey bees come out in droves. I have some apple rose bushes that will be loaded down with hundred if not thousands of them. The freeze then abruptly return and by the time spring officially arrives, the honey bees do not come back with it. I am glad to at least see them still alive, but it makes me wonder where the hell they go when they are not out and about when flowers are blooming and clover is jumping.

If they are alive, and you have flowers, then it probably means that something more appealing to them is blooming within a couple-mile radius. They go wherever the best nectar and pollen sources are for them.

Wow, I see such a yellowish tomato for the first time. :)
There is nothing like a home grown tomato. I love it. :)

I love tomatoes, and this is a good year for them in this area. We've had rains later in the spring season, and it's only reached triple digits once that I know of, so far. I like to grow a wide variety, so some of these will look odd to you guys, since they are old heirloom varieties.
The large pale yellow variety that you can see at the top left area is a Great White variety. It is almost 5 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 pounds- huge to be grown in this part of the country.

yum! Home grown tomatoes rock!! I love just cutting one up, adding a dash of salt and just devouring them.

yum! Home grown tomatoes rock!! I love just cutting one up, adding a dash of salt and just devouring them.

If you slice them and lay them out on a cookie sheet then season with a little garlic, oil, basil and parmesan, stick 'em under a broiler for about a minute you end up with very healthy little pizzas.

Wow, I see such a yellowish tomato for the first time. :)
There is nothing like a home grown tomato. I love it. :)

I have red, orange, pink, green, yellow, and striped varieties. :mrgreen:

I love tomatoes, and this is a good year for them in this area. We've had rains later in the spring season, and it's only reached triple digits once that I know of, so far. I like to grow a wide variety, so some of these will look odd to you guys, since they are old heirloom varieties.
The large pale yellow variety that you can see at the top left area is a Great White variety. It is almost 5 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 pounds- huge to be grown in this part of the country.

i can tell just from the picture they are heritage tomatoes.

from the ones ive eaten,they taste better than the flavorless force ripened hybrids stoes sell.ofcourse they also look fugly,but nature never intended them to be picture perfect.

if i ever start a garden it will be heritage fruits,of course my garden would only be used for wine making purposes:party

i can tell just from the picture they are heritage tomatoes.

from the ones ive eaten,they taste better than the flavorless force ripened hybrids stoes sell.ofcourse they also look fugly,but nature never intended them to be picture perfect.

if i ever start a garden it will be heritage fruits,of course my garden would only be used for wine making purposes:party

Hot house 'maters from the grocery store suck... something unsavory. ;)

Hot house 'maters from the grocery store suck... something unsavory. ;)

when i lived in cali,i couldnt stand fruits or veggies,they were bland and flavorless.

when i joined the army and went to south carolina,i was hooked,they were hybrids too,but they werent force ripened like cali fruit.the difference wasamazing,the only fruit i could get like that in cali was from small time mexican gardeners at the farmers market.

when i tried heritage or heirloom fruits and veggies,the gap became even bigger,they looked hideous but tasted amazing,wantkids to eat their veggies????dont give them bland tasting crap thats force ripened!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
when i lived in cali,i couldnt stand fruits or veggies,they were bland and flavorless.

when i joined the army and went to south carolina,i was hooked,they were hybrids too,but they werent force ripened like cali fruit.the difference wasamazing,the only fruit i could get like that in cali was from small time mexican gardeners at the farmers market.

when i tried heritage or heirloom fruits and veggies,the gap became even bigger,they looked hideous but tasted amazing,wantkids to eat their veggies????dont give them bland tasting crap thats force ripened!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the reason I grow heirlooms. Flavor. Their productivity usually isn't as high, and some of them are much more inclined toward disease problems, but the taste can't be beat.

That is the reason I grow heirlooms. Flavor. Their productivity usually isn't as high, and some of them are much more inclined toward disease problems, but the taste can't be beat.

Heirlooms are the best, and they fit perfectly on a sandwich too!

Heirlooms are the best, and they fit perfectly on a sandwich too!

Just got off work and now craving a Bacon and tomato sandwich slathered with Mayo!

damn. :(

Just got off work and now craving a Bacon and tomato sandwich slathered with Mayo!

damn. :(

I just might have some BLTs tonight. I don't have the luxury of having any garden tomatoes, but still yummy.

Nice work Lizzie!

Lizzie how do you keep the squirrels away from your tomatoes. I tried to grow some several years ago. Cherry tomatoes. They were still green when the squirrels started plucking them off the vine. They wouldn't even eat them either, just take bites and leave them to rot. :roll: Got any tips?

Lizzie how do you keep the squirrels away from your tomatoes. I tried to grow some several years ago. Cherry tomatoes. They were still green when the squirrels started plucking them off the vine. They wouldn't even eat them either, just take bites and leave them to rot. :roll: Got any tips?

So far, I haven't had any problems with them bothering the tomatoes. It may have something to do with the fact that the squirrels raid my birdfeeders, and get full before they find the tomatoes. :lol:

So far, I haven't had any problems with them bothering the tomatoes. It may have something to do with the fact that the squirrels raid my birdfeeders, and get full before they find the tomatoes. :lol:

Horrible little critters aren't they?

I was going to buy one of those upside down planters like on TV, but I have no place to hang it where the squirrels won't get to it. The squirrels around here are horrible. There are tons of them. My cousin wants to come over with his bow and shoot some of them for practice. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom