• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's mess

The Company I worked for stopped providing health insurance in 2011, oddly coinciding with the passage of Obamacare! I opted to go with BC/BS and now for 2014 I find my premiums doubling. I'm going to talk with a representative today, and I may go with someone new if I get a better deal...I'm not holding my breath, though! It is what it is, I guess... disheartening! :thumbdown:

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:
I know exactly what you're saying Pol. A friend of mine got a letter yesterday stating that his Medicare Part B coverage will no longer be offered by the provider. The reimbursement rates have dropped to the point at which it is no longer possible for them to offer it.

I know exactly what you're saying Pol. A friend of mine got a letter yesterday stating that his Medicare Part B coverage will no longer be offered by the provider. The reimbursement rates have dropped to the point at which it is no longer possible for them to offer it.
...which is precisely how Obama"cares"

The other points you made are valid, but this one here I think is a little off. That's the purpose of insurance and what happens when you have private insurance. Those that are healthy pay into it and use it when they are sick. If you are healthy, not sick, and paying, you are paying for someone elses insurance and even paying the subsidies for those who can't.

Sorry, you are correct. Let me clarify. I don't want to pay for someone else who is not also paying and getting a government handout. In other words, I don't want to be forced to pay for someone who isn't pulling some weight as well. I want the choice.

Oh, he does. It's his signature "accomplishment" - part of a long held leftist dream to run everything and create a perfected society so that we can all follow our passions.

Very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I think that's where most of us are headed. Exorbitantly higher costs, inordinately less "care."

But hey - you *could* head on over to one of the federal government's exchanges and purchase your mandated insurance there - of course, on this first day of them being required by law to open, none are. ;)

A harbinger of things to come? Probably! :eek: It's too bad that this came as a total surprise to them, isn't it? They probably could have been ready had they known ahead of time! :mrgreen:

Greetings, EdwinWillers. :2wave:

Oh, he does. It's his signature "accomplishment" - part of a long held leftist dream to run everything and create a perfected society so that we can all follow our passions.

Well, if one's passion centers around being sick, which in this country is not at all unusual. You'd be amazed at how many people center their lives around their illnesses. It gives meaning to their lives, and creates a purpose for them. (and coincidentally, relieves them of being responsible for their own upkeep costs).

I AM. My main problem with the system is that the US Constitution does not allow the Federal Government any say in the health, healthcare, or health insurance fields. In fact there is no mention of anything of the sort in Article I, Section 8 of the document.

It's not that we don't want others to have health insurance. It is a matter that to us, health care is a personal responsibility, not a societal one. It is up to the individual/family to find a way to ensure their health and well-being are protected.

I won't speak for Republicans, since I'm not one, but whatever they were in favor of, Conservatives were likely against as well.

If you think the law is unconstitutional you just need to get to work and obtain a seat on the Supreme court. Otherwise shut your mouth.

If you think the law is unconstitutional you just need to get to work and obtain a seat on the Supreme court. Otherwise shut your mouth.
Think the government will give me a subsidy to do that? Otherwise, not sure I can afford it - all my money's going to the exchange.

A harbinger of things to come? Probably! :eek: It's too bad that this came as a total surprise to them, isn't it? They probably could have been ready had they known ahead of time! :mrgreen:

Greetings, EdwinWillers. :2wave:
Greetings pol :)

It's sad - but then you have to realize just how massive an intrusion this is into American's lives. They really need time to do it proper. ;)

Well, if one's passion centers around being sick, which in this country is not at all unusual. You'd be amazed at how many people center their lives around their illnesses. It gives meaning to their lives, and creates a purpose for them. (and coincidentally, relieves them of being responsible for their own upkeep costs).
You're right. Fortunately, I rarely have had to visit the doctor. When I have, I'm amazed at what some people in the waiting rooms are there for. A cold. A boo-boo. I know a fellow who absolutely insisted on knee surgery, even though several doctors told him it would do no good. He kept going to doctors until he found one that agreed to the surgery. This was all done so that it would enhance his claim against another insurer for damages. He wants to clear enough in that claim to avoid work for the next year, and the surgery will greatly enhance his claim and his recovery time. These people are sick alright - they're just not ill.

You're right. Fortunately, I rarely have had to visit the doctor. When I have, I'm amazed at what some people in the waiting rooms are there for. A cold. A boo-boo. I know a fellow who absolutely insisted on knee surgery, even though several doctors told him it would do no good. He kept going to doctors until he found one that agreed to the surgery. This was all done so that it would enhance his claim against another insurer for damages. He wants to clear enough in that claim to avoid work for the next year, and the surgery will greatly enhance his claim and his recovery time. These people are sick alright - they're just not ill.

Exactly. When it pays to be sick, people will become sick.

And yet you didn't say where the government gets the power to be involved in healthcare or how they can force people into service for others.

Btw, the taxing and spending clause can not be used towards functions outside of the enumerated powers, so be sure to tell me where the power is first before you tell me you can tax towards it. Thanks. :cool: I know you can't defend the supreme court here, but maybe you can give it the old college try.

And yet you didn't say where the government gets the power to be involved in healthcare or how they can force people into service for others.

Btw, the taxing and spending clause can not be used towards functions outside of the enumerated powers, so be sure to tell me where the power is first before you tell me you can tax towards it. :)

The power comes from our govt. The act was passed by both houses of congress, signed by the President and upheld by the Supreme court. Don't tell me you don't know this is how our govt. works.

The power comes from our govt. The act was passed by both houses of congress, signed by the President and upheld by the Supreme court. Don't tell me you don't know this is how our govt. works.

The power comes from our govt? What in the hell does that mean?

Who are the people who are against Obamacare care and why?

What is the problem with some people who don't want others to have health insurance? Some of the things that are in obamacare the republicans were in favour of. But no more, why?

i'm against it because it isn't single payer. it's a haphazard version of universal health care with unnecessary middlemen skimming off the top and doing nothing to force down costs. eventually, it won't work, and we'll get Medicare for all, which we should have done in the first place. however, half of the country is apparently AOK with paying for the uninsured to get primary care at an emergency room, and is ready to fight in the streets over any attempt to change the Roosevelt-era policy of tying health insurance to specific employment.

to those on the other side who are ready to hold the budget hostage and potentially cause us to default, i'll say this :

you lost the initial vote. the PPACA was passed. you lost the court case, and the law was upheld. finally, you lost the 2012 election, which largely hinged around whether or not to repeal the law. you lost. so did i. get over it.

one more thing : if the idiots in the house go bat**** again and cause a default, we stand to lose our credit rating, and interest on the debt might really jump. on top of that, if we keep looking unstable, we might lose our status as global reserve currency. don't like taxes? that would amount to the biggest effective tax increase in modern times.

this is idiotic, and it makes me angry.

for those who are about to flame me with partisan rage, answer this : a Republican is in the White House, and dems control the house. they refuse to consider a budget bill which doesn't contain a 70 percent top tax margin, and are willing to default over it. do you support that? is that the way you want policy made? just remember, this will be the case someday. ready to set that precedent? i sure as **** am not.

I don't blame my employer. Unlike the government, they have to show a profit, or go under, putting thousands out of work!
And we must remember that it couldn't have been easy for the administration to make life tough for everyone simultaneously... that took some creative thinking to accomplish! I wish I could find it in my heart to congratulate them...but I just can't, because it would not be true! :2mad:

Greetings, EdwinWillers! :2wave:

Think the government will give me a subsidy to do that? Otherwise, not sure I can afford it - all my money's going to the exchange.

Your great generosity will not go unnoticed. Voluntarily donating all your money to the HC exchanges is quite an act of charity. I think you went a little overboard not leaving any money for your self though.

Exactly. When it pays to be sick, people will become sick.
It's so predictable. How come you and I can figure this out, but our elected officials seem oblivious to that fact? It's amazing. I don't care how long the government is shut down. Until we have an open and honest discussion on healthcare, it should remain shut down. So far, the whole thing has been anything but open and honest.

however, half of the country is apparently AOK with paying for the uninsured to get primary care at an emergency room, and is ready to fight in the streets over any attempt to change the Roosevelt-era policy of tying health insurance to specific employment.

I'm all for ending both of those policies and you know what, both of them would just call for a repeal. That's pretty easy stuff really. Now will democrats agree? Somehow I doubt they will agree to ending any Roosevelt era policies. :D

Your great generosity will not go unnoticed. Voluntarily donating all your money to the HC exchanges is quite an act of charity. I think you went a little overboard not leaving any money for your self though.
Thank you - but there's the rub. I have no choice in the matter.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, no one is TAKEING anything from you. In fact many of us have receive refunds from our insurance companies because of the AHC act.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, no one is TAKEING anything from you. In fact many of us have receive refunds from our insurance companies because of the AHC act.
Really? Hmmm. I'll have to have a discussion with my accountant, who seems to think they are.

But it's nice to see that some people are making money off this. :thumbs:

They take it in the form of taxation. Anyone who believes that this is not going to add to the tax burden of those of us who pay the bills, just isn't looking down the road, and has their heads buried in the sand.

Liberals think that is a good thing. Are you saying you don't agree? I believe Reid might think you're an anarchist now.

Oh..they think it doesn't actually exist. Well then, I guess I stand corrected.

Back
Top Bottom