• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's civics leason

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For those who have forgotten or didn't know in the first place let's discuss the impeachment process.

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/steps-presidential-impeachment-ad37ca912217fdfa

Initially, the House Judiciary Committee chooses whether to pursue impeachment, followed by the Judiciary Committee initiating a formal inquest into the subject of impeachment. Depending on the outcome of the inquiry, the Judiciary Committee sends a resolution to the House either indicating that impeachment is warranted and supports the conclusion with the Articles of Impeachment, or that there is insufficient reasoning to support impeachment.

After debate, the Full House votes on each Article of Impeachment. If a simple majority approves of any one of the Articles, the President is officially impeached. However, this is merely a way of charging the President with a crime; a trial still takes place in the U.S. Senate, and the President is represented by lawyers. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court serves as prosecutor and the 100 Senators act as jurors.

After a trial, the Senate meets privately to decide upon a verdict. A 2/3 vote results in a conviction. Next, the Senate decides whether to remove the President from office, and may also vote on whether the President can hold any public office in the future.

Frankly I thought the leader of the senate had a bigger role. Sucks getting old.

It has been reported that the Senate Leader can exercise his right not to bring the motion to impeach to the floor, Merrit Garland anyone? Let the voters decide in 2020.........

True, but if the house votes to impeach and the Senate doesn't take it up, McConnell can kiss his 2020 election (as well as any other Republican up in 2020) goodbye. Even he won't be able to recover from that.

True, but if the house votes to impeach and the Senate doesn't take it up, McConnell can kiss his 2020 election (as well as any other Republican up in 2020) goodbye. Even he won't be able to recover from that.

McConnell was born in 1942. Makes him 77, my CT spidey sense tells me there are more than one “individual 1.”

I'll be shocked if the GOP goes along with it. They've dug in to far, in the same way that DP's Trumpists will never admit any wrong on their part.

Even if the Mueller report is extraordinarily damning, they'll just call it a hoax. Safer that way. Then they don't have to look at what they've done.

I'll be shocked if the GOP goes along with it. They've dug in to far, in the same way that DP's Trumpists will never admit any wrong on their part.

Even if the Mueller report is extraordinarily damning, they'll just call it a hoax. Safer that way. Then they don't have to look at what they've done.

"They are human garbage, ignore them" is a call to incivility and should be condemned by the educated at least.

"They are human garbage, ignore them" is a call to incivility and should be condemned by the educated at least.

intelligista the raptor melons.

(That actually makes far more sense as a reply to what you said, then your "reply with quote" had to do with what I said. Par?)

None of the 45 demorat Senators voted to convict Bill Clinton who admitted to lying (perjury?) - why should anyone expect anything different from republicant Senators?

Since you demand civility from others but do not require it from the president of the United States, your comments are discarded as your typical fake eastern training hypocrisy. Be gone.

None of the 45 demorat Senators voted to convict Bill Clinton who admitted to lying (perjury?) - why should anyone expect anything different from republicant Senators?

Pomegranates/watermelons

(That actually makes far more sense as a reply to what you said, then your "reply with quote" had to do with what I said. Par?)

We are all out of screwing around time.

If Obstruction is the ONLY charge levied maybe, but if there is another charge or charges proven? Well, that's a risk all Republican senators can take at that time. There are 22 (if I remember correctly) Republican senators up for re-election in 2020.

Since you demand civility from others but do not require it from the president of the United States, your comments are discarded as your typical fake eastern training hypocrisy. Be gone.

Paradoxes are an invitation for you to advance your education.

Paradoxes are an invitation for you to advance your education.

Your hypocrisy is the sign that you are not educated in Eastern Training. BE BETTER, TELL THE TRUTH

Impeachment is false hope. They'd drag it out for months, it would suck all the oxygen out of what little public discourse remains, and it would make the opposition (fairly or not) look like shrill whiners.

And finally the outcome would be far some certain, unless they have far more evidence than has been made public thus far.

It seems to me unlikely to produce anything like satisfaction or justice, while consuming energy best spent on finding better candidates.

Bull****. If Mueller's Big Trump Crime is a PARKING TICKET, the Hypo-crats will declare it an "impeachable offense".

You aren't SERIOUSLY STILL TRYING TO PRETEND that there's TRUMP/RUSSIA COLLUSION, are you????

Are you trying to say something there?

He reminds me of this guy:

It has been reported that the Senate Leader can exercise his right not to bring the motion to impeach to the floor, Merrit Garland anyone? Let the voters decide in 2020.........

It would not be difficult to see McConnell take such a course of inaction.

To add to the civics lesson above... I'll admit I needed a refresher course on all this. :3oops:
For an impeachment to occur:

A simple majority in the house, currently 435 members, is when 51% of the House members votes YES.
2/3rds of the 100 Senate members decides if there will be a conviction.

If Obstruction is the ONLY charge levied maybe, but if there is another charge or charges proven? Well, that's a risk all Republican senators can take at that time. There are 22 (if I remember correctly) Republican senators up for re-election in 2020.

That is a good point, but would those 22 republicants rather have Pence as POTUS (and the likely republicant party head "helping" their 2020 campaign) or take their chances with Trump as POTUS? Pence is far from the robust campaigner that Trump is so that has to play a role in making such a decision.

That is a good point, but would those 22 republicants rather have Pence as POTUS (and the likely republicant party head "helping" their 2020 campaign) or take their chances with Trump as POTUS? Pence is far from the robust campaigner that Trump is so that has to play a role in making such a decision.

We have no idea what is included in the report or who is involved. For all we know Pence may be involved. And yeah, those senators I would wager want Pence over Trump any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Trump is a child with a nuke button. We need an adult in the White House as president and while I do not like Pence's views, he's far more an adult than Trump will ever be.

This thread is putting the cart ahead of the horse. Theres no way to predict how any of them would vote on charges that have not been made.

They may not even be able to get all the Democrats to vote yes let alone enough Republicans to do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom