• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today's civics leason

This thread is putting the cart ahead of the horse. Theres no way to predict how any of them would vote on charges that have not been made.

They may not even be able to get all the Democrats to vote yes let alone enough Republicans to do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Obstruction of justice is certainly a "high crime and misdemeanor". Even Trump AG appointee Barr agrees with that.

Note: the Chief Justice presides over the trial (and only in the case of the impeachment of the President). He does not serve as prosecutor.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

The leader of the Senate is the vice president. There would be a conflict of interest to give him/her any kind of power in the process

You're correct. I used the wrong terminology. I was referring to McConnell.

This thread is putting the cart ahead of the horse. Theres no way to predict how any of them would vote on charges that have not been made.

They may not even be able to get all the Democrats to vote yes let alone enough Republicans to do it.

I didn't intend for this thread to discuss the possible Trump impeachment. There are plenty of other threads talking about that. My intention was solely to discuss the process.

You're correct. I used the wrong terminology. I was referring to McConnell.

Well, McConnell holds an office in the Senate which was created by Senate rules and not by the Constitution, so there's no reason why the Constitution would ascribe a role in impeachment to him. Though the Senate itself, I suppose, could.

Well, McConnell holds an office in the Senate which was created by Senate rules and not by the Constitution, so there's no reason why the Constitution would ascribe a role in impeachment to him. Though the Senate itself, I suppose, could.

My thought process came about today as a result of things I was reading elsewhere along with discussions with co-workers. For example; we know that if the house passes a bill McConnell can just sit on it if he wishes. The speculation was if he can do the same with the impeachment process.

My thought process came about today as a result of things I was reading elsewhere along with discussions with co-workers. For example; we know that if the house passes a bill McConnell can just sit on it if he wishes. The speculation was if he can do the same with the impeachment process.

There's no Constitutional requirement that the Senate try an impeachment, but Senate rules require it:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/resources/pdf/3_1986SenatesImpeachmentRules.pdf

It's highly unlikely that the Senate would refuse to try a credible impeachment, though.

Obstruction of justice is certainly a "high crime and misdemeanor". Even Trump AG appointee Barr agrees with that.
Thank you for the piece of useless information

None of the 45 demorat Senators voted to convict Bill Clinton who admitted to lying (perjury?) - why should anyone expect anything different from republicant Senators?

Perhaps is was because there was no underlying crime. It was a simple, self-inflicted wound by Clinton himself.

Kenneth Starr spent $50 million to get some dirt on the Clintons. When it was all over, he had nothing. Then someone dropped a stained blue dress in his lap. Starr asked the question of Clinton, not to indict him for perjury, but only to embarrass him. He had no idea Clinton would be stupid enough to perjure himself over a blowjob in the White House.

Perhaps is was because there was no underlying crime. It was a simple, self-inflicted wound by Clinton himself.

Kenneth Starr spent $50 million to get some dirt on the Clintons. When it was all over, he had nothing. Then someone dropped a stained blue dress in his lap. Starr asked the question of Clinton, not to indict him for perjury, but only to embarrass him. He had no idea Clinton would be stupid enough to perjure himself over a blowjob in the White House.

I will reserve further judgement until evidence of the underlying crime(s) (beyond perjury and/or obstruction) has been presented.

I will reserve further judgement until evidence of the underlying crime(s) (beyond perjury and/or obstruction) has been presented.

Trump's own lawyer has advised him he must not sit down with Mueller. If he does, he will inevitably perjure himself. He is incapable of just telling the truth. He lies about stupid stuff that doesn't even matter. He has been caught helping his kids lie about meetings with Russians. Now Cohen, his once close adviser, has said he committed perjury on Trump's order.

But not to worry. We're assured Mueller's got nothing. Big nothing burger. Anybody who has said anything bad about Trump is lying. That goes for everyone. Everyone.

Back
Top Bottom