• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today is September 1, 1939

noonereal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Today is September 1, 1939. That is the long and the short of it.
My question is, do we all understand this?

Do some think this is just like Crimea and NATO is melting down needlessly?

Please tell me your thoughts.

I believe this leads to a nuclear exchange down the road, do you?

Nope, I don't believe this is 1939 because the relevant parties did not have, in 1939, the ability to all but extinguish the human race in a matter of hours. What's happening now is sad but frankly speaking, nobody's red line has been crossed.

No, today is 16 March 1939.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the end of the Cold War there have now been three occasions in which great powers have directly invaded and occupied foreign sovereign nations illegally and without even the authorization of a corrupt UN Security Council. Two of those invasions were instigated and led by the United States of America, under the absurd pretexts that they had to 'defend themselves' against tiny countries on the opposite side of the world, with (as many experts anticipated beforehand) extremely destructive and destabilizing results for those regions, and far more increased threat and loss of American lives.

But when it's Russia invading a sovereign nation - a country in their own backyard, which actually had been courted for possible inclusion into a military alliance primarily oriented against Russia - suddenly now it's 1939 again?

All three of these illegal invasions are contemptible expressions of power against the weak and isolated. Following the Cold War there was a window in which America as the world's only real superpower might have had an opportunity to lead efforts to democratize and strengthen institutions such as the United Nations, limiting its own influence and reigning in its worst impulses in the process: Instead it chose to not only maintain, but dramatically underscore the might-makes-right version of international 'order.'

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the end of the Cold War there have been three occasions in which great powers have directly invaded and occupied foreign sovereign nations illegally and without even a shred of UN authorization. Two of those invasions were instigated and led by the United States of America, under the absurd pretexts that they had to 'defend themselves' against tiny countries on the opposite side of the world, with (as many experts anticipated beforehand) extremely destructive and destabilizing results for those regions, and far more increased threat and loss of American lives.

But when it's Russia invading a sovereign nation - a country in their own backyard, which actually had been courted for possible inclusion into a military alliance primarily oriented against Russia - suddenly now it's 1939 again?

All three of these illegal invasions are contemptible expressions of power against the weak and isolated. Following the Cold War there was a window in which America as the world's only real superpower might have had an opportunity to lead efforts to democratize and strengthen institutions such as the United Nations, limiting its own influence and reigning in its worst impulses in the process: Instead it chose to not only maintain, but dramatically reinforce the might makes right version of international 'order.'
I cannot disagree. Anyone who supported what Shrub did has no leg to stand on here.

Nay. Russia can't do much beyond this. They know their limits.

It's really a nothing burger

Last edited:

I think Poland was right in Germany's backyard. I must be mistaken? .🤡

You and Donny must be very proud!

I think Poland was right in Germany's backyard. I must be mistaken? .🤡

You and Donny must be very proud!
Okay, Russia is Nazi Germany for invading Ukraine... so what does that make America with its even more outrageous invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan?

And what's the deal with Americans so often assuming that anyone who doesn't agree with every thought that pops into their head must be aligned with their domestic political opposition? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom