• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today, 3/16 at 9AM EST, Zelensky to Address Congress...Listen in and comment...

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In what may be Zelensky's most important speech in the fragile life of Ukraine, Congressional leaders Pelosi and Schumer have arranged an opportunity for the President of Ukraine to appeal directly to Congress and the people of the United States for support. While his speech is anticipated to be only 15 minutes, it's purpose is underscore Ukraine's commitment to fight until completely subjected, to express confidence in Ukraine's ability to push Russia out, and plead for more powerful military arms than Javelins and Stingers.

The subtext is well known, the Biden administration and some in NATO are crippled by excess caution and fear of Putin. The "on-again" "off-again" public spats has allowed Putin to constantly draw new and shifting red lines, staying one or more steps ahead of Biden and Nato. Zelensky hopes to convince Congress to press the President end this waffling and to provide SAMs, EW Jammer systems, larger and more sophisticated drones, and planes.

Biden will later respond in a speech, explaining what he has done and why he has not done other things to help Ukraine. He will also announce what he wishes to do in the future.

Let us pray the speech goes well, that Zelensky is persuasive, and that Congress successfully presses Biden to act quickly and do more.

Ukraine's life may depend on it.

In what may be Zelensky's most important speech in the fragile life of Ukraine, Congressional leaders Pelosi and Schumer have arranged an opportunity for the President of Ukraine to appeal directly to Congress and the people of the United States for support. While his speech is anticipated to be only 15 minutes, it's purpose is underscore Ukraine's commitment to fight until completely subjected, to express confidence in Ukraine's ability to push Russia out, and plead for more powerful military arms than Javelins and Stingers.

The subtext is well known, the Biden administration and some in NATO are crippled by excess caution and fear of Putin. The "on-again" "off-again" public spats has allowed Putin to constantly draw new and shifting red lines, staying one or more steps ahead of Biden and Nato. Zelensky hopes to convince Congress to press the President end this waffling and to provide SAMs, EW Jammer systems, larger and more sophisticated drones, and planes.

Biden will later respond in a speech, explaining what he has done and why he has not done other things to help Ukraine. He will also announce what he wishes to do in the future.

Let us pray the speech goes well, that Zelensky is persuasive, and that Congress successfully presses Biden to act quickly and do more.

Here's one place you can see it: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/watch-live-zelensky-to-deliver-virtual-address-to-u-s-congress

Watch his eyes -- not the drivel coming out of his mouth -- to see how high the coke head might be .

Watch for those tell tale signs, even though he is a professional actor and comedian by trade .

Do more? I've suggested the nato forces send troops and materials to the nato countries closest to ukraine like we did when we kicked saddam out of kuwait. After we build up our forces we tell putin he has a week to pull his troops out and any left will be considered fair game and if he keeps shooting rockets into ukraine from russia we send in planes to knock them out and if need be we send troops into russia.

I have been met with basically the same response from the folks on here full of excess caution and fear of putin saying, oh, so you want to start world war three. My response, if we do nothing, it will only be a matter of time until other dictators pop up and soon the whole world would be controlled by dictators and it will be too late to do anything. So we can risk a nuclear war and die quickly or we can all be controlled by dictators and die the death of a thousand cuts.

I'm listening on CNN. The translator is not the most pleasant sounding...nasal older female voice...

I'm listening on CNN. The translator is not the most pleasant sounding...nasal older female voice...

He's right...we need to sanction all Russian politicians, a proposal I read from another author in the first days of the invasion. (My comment: pharmaceuticals are one of the major import products to Russia...time to cut?).

Zelensky asks for aircraft and anti aircraft weapons... I'm fairly certain that Biden will still say no to the first, and perhaps the second.

Very effective and heart rendering video of mass devastation. Closes in English...

CNN British Commentator (didn't catch name) said Ukrainians believe the NATO issue is a "fig leaf" for what is an issue of democracy. Putin cannot tolerate a fully democratic country developing next door.

Well, as could be predicted the regular CNN staff is now busily explaining how planes aren't needed, so many problems providing SAMS...yada ... yada...

These people are as useless as tits on a boar hog.

Okay, I watched it on CSpan. I hunted to see if President Biden had anything to say; not yet, I guess.

The video was rough to watch. Must be a lot harder to live it.

Did anyone watch the comments by pols afterward? How are they reacting?

Was that a US supplied translator? She was herky-jerky. I know Ukraine has excellent young female translators that were embedded with US troops at Yavoriv.

Zelenskyy's first press secretary, Iuliia Mendel (35), is a fluent English speaker. She should have done the translating today.

Zelenskyy was very good at drawing us in and making this invasion about all of us. He invoked Pearl Harbor, MLK, and 9/11.

The video - of the dead, the destruction, and the refugees - was poignant and difficult to watch.

I wish Zelenskyy was also a fluent English speaker like Petro Poroshenko. Even so, Z was very compelling.

1647552900535.png

Was that a US supplied translator? She was herky-jerky. I know Ukraine has excellent young female translators that were embedded with US troops at Yavoriv.

Zelenskyy's first press secretary, Iuliia Mendel (35), is a fluent English speaker. She should have done the translating today.

Zelenskyy was very good at drawing us in and making this invasion about all of us. He invoked Pearl Harbor, MLK, and 9/11.

The video - of the dead, the destruction, and the refugees - was poignant and difficult to watch.

I wish Zelenskyy was also a fluent English speaker like Petro Poroshenko. Even so, Z was very compelling.

I've been very impressed with a couple of video's coming out of Ukraine. The production values, especially in war, has been excellent. These people are really talented. No wonder Israel used them as coders...

Don't know how applauding Republicans who voted to let Trump off the hook for trying to extort him can look in the mirror.

Don't know how applauding Republicans who voted to let Trump off the hook for trying to extort him can look in the mirror.

As one of those who didn't applaud, but didn't object either, its damn difficult to accept my moral complicity...but accept it I do.

Back
Top Bottom