• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To the BLM Supporters/Advocates: What would you have us do?

Smart woman, your girlfriend. Kudos.
Very important...
What is your stated objective? List your grievances.
Listen, to both sides.
What are your proposed solutions?
Bring levelheaded and fair representatives from both sides to sit together and work out sensible and achievable solutions.
Stay focused, don't use violence, don't yell and scream. A calm and reasonable voice has the greatest impact.
Drawing a line in the sand just separates. An outstretched hand heals.

Edit
that, btw, is the best approach, no matter the circumstance.

That last was a wonderful phrase. And if I were a community leader, I would love to sit down and help solve a lot of the problems that people have. My local department has done wonders with the poorer communities. They have a 0 tolerance policy on gangs and they lay the hammer on them if they step up their activity.

That is also combined with multiple programs to educate youth and get them out of that cycle of dependence on crime or welfare to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That life is all peaches and cream for silver spoon democrats who live nice white bread lives and don't have to actually worry about the local gang trying to recruit your children into a gang so they can make buckets of untaxed cash and put all the risk on their lives.

so what do you want?

That last was a wonderful phrase. And if I were a community leader, I would love to sit down and help solve a lot of the problems that people have. My local department has done wonders with the poorer communities. They have a 0 tolerance policy on gangs and they lay the hammer on them if they step up their activity.

That is also combined with multiple programs to educate youth and get them out of that cycle of dependence on crime or welfare to survive.

Local, starting from the ground up, often with just one person willing to take the lead, has brought about great results. Every person has something to offer, given the chance. Those who live in impoverished neighborhoods are best at identifying problems first hand, and know which solutions are feasible.
I am guessing that those who involve themselves in finding solutions are the least likely to cause problems.

so what do you want?

I'm sick of seeing people prey on others. Those pimps and pushers and gangs need to be dealt with. And the laws regarding drugs are one thing, especially treating drug addiction like a sickness rather than a crime. The other hand is that we need to lay the lumber on those bastards who prey on the sick. Calculated strikes. If we can demolish the Mafia like we did, we can do it to gangs. And it starts at the local level. Not federal. YOU can make a difference locally. The federal government will never help you.

I want peace. I want kids to grow up with a fighting chance. I want to give people a shot at as much opportunity as they can get. And right now...being poor in a crime infested area limits our opportunities and increases your risk of violence.

I'm sick of seeing people prey on others. Those pimps and pushers and gangs need to be dealt with. And the laws regarding drugs are one thing, especially treating drug addiction like a sickness rather than a crime. The other hand is that we need to lay the lumber on those bastards who prey on the sick. Calculated strikes. If we can demolish the Mafia like we did, we can do it to gangs. And it starts at the local level. Not federal. YOU can make a difference locally. The federal government will never help you.

I want peace. I want kids to grow up with a fighting chance. I want to give people a shot at as much opportunity as they can get. And right now...being poor in a crime infested area limits our opportunities and increases your risk of violence.

who do you blame for all this?

Local, starting from the ground up, often with just one person willing to take the lead, has brought about great results. Every person has something to offer, given the chance. Those who live in impoverished neighborhoods are best at identifying problems first hand, and know which solutions are feasible.
I am guessing that those who involve themselves in finding solutions are the least likely to cause problems.

Harlem Children's Zone started by Geoffrey Canada ;)

A wonderful example of what you are talking about.

So I was having a discussion with my girlfriend about the topic of the BLM and the Milwaukee shooting. I explained the situation and read off the case facts and she asked: well why did riot? Obviously I can't explain it. And she is a democrat (shocking huh?).

Then she asked me to post this question:

What do those who agree with the BLM, or want to see action, or support the BLM...what is your stated objective? What change do you want to see? And how? How do you want officers to respond? What policies do you have a problem with? What kind of specifics do you want to see in these situations? Like the one in Milwaukee?

Well, it's not so much about policy. Obviously there are no laws on the books saying "Police will treat black people differently in such-and-such ways."

It's about the manifest reality.

Despite that blacks are no more likely to have drugs, they're stopped and searched far more often, and police are more likely to escalate faster than they would with a similarly behaving white person.

If they have drugs, they're much more likely to do time compared to a white person with exactly the same drug and history.

There are policies which, while not explicitly aimed at black people, do disadvantage them dramatically. Policies on crack and limiting housing after prison are squarely aimed at the black population, and even the politicians who passed them knew it if you get into reading the history a bit.

What we need is a socially-focused change to counteract these things. We need to train out racial bias, reform the justice system, and repeal a lot of these post-release limitations.

I'd be happier if stats for black people looked like those for white people. But even for white people, a lot of our policies are just horrible and perpetuate criminality and police violence -- it just hits blacks a lot harder, that's all.

Ideally, the entire system needs a dramatic overhaul. There are dozens of examples all over the world for how we could achieve this. Saying "it can't be done" doesn't fly anymore.

Well, it's not so much about policy. Obviously there are no laws on the books saying "Police will treat black people differently in such-and-such ways."

Despite that blacks are no more likely to have drugs, they're stopped and searched far more often, and police are more likely to escalate faster than they would with a similarly behaving white person.

If they have drugs, they're much more likely to do time compared to a white person with exactly the same drug and history.

There are policies which, while not explicitly aimed at black people, do disadvantage them dramatically. Policies on crack and limiting housing after prison are squarely aimed at the black population, and even the politicians who passed them knew it if you get into reading the history a bit.

What we need is a socially-focused change to counteract these things. We need to train out racial bias, reform the justice system, and repeal a lot of these post-release limitations.

I'd be happier if stats for black people looked like those for white people. But even for white people, a lot of our policies are just horrible and perpetuate criminality and police violence -- it just hits blacks a lot harder, that's all.

Ideally, the entire system needs a dramatic overhaul. There are dozens of examples all over the world for how we could achieve this. Saying "it can't be done" doesn't fly anymore.

a big part of the problem is they dont see blacks as americans, black peoples problems are theres alone too solve, meanwhile white peoples' problems are everyone's problems they are "america's problems". If white people were facing the same problems black people were they would march right along side these protestors. but as long as they dont see them as americans they wont care about any problems they may have because its their problem, its like talking about people in a foreign country, they may have some pity for them, but at the end of the day they dont care about their problems because theyre not "american problems". Understand?

Bs!
Pure unadulterated bs!

Besides you making things up to believe, the reality is that those drug use stats were based on self reporting. That is not a reliable metric.

The reality is that the crime stats are a reliable metric as they reflect actual crime committed.

The reality is that those studies which suggests disparities based on crime charged/conviction received do not account for the the disparity in actions of the crime charged, so while two different individuals may be charged with the same crime they can and do receive different sentences based on their actions in regards to the crime they committed. eg: Acts committed during the crime, can and does lead to a greater sentence. Past history can and does lead to a greater sentence.

a big part of the problem is they dont see blacks as americans, black peoples problems are theres alone too solve, meanwhile white peoples' problems are everyone's problems they are "america's problems". If white people were facing the same problems black people were they would march right along side these protestors. but as long as they dont see them as americans they wont care about any problems they may have because its their problem, its like talking about people in a foreign country, they may have some pity for them, but at the end of the day they dont care about their problems because theyre not "american problems". Understand?
More bs.
People thinking like that that is actually part of the problem.

I don't see blacks as Americans? Really? Are you kidding? I see them as Americans and having to play by the same rules as everyone else. I think the idea that black culture is its own thing is silly. I think regional difference mean I have more in common with local blacks than non regional whites. Religion, money, jobs, values, and so on.

How much impact do you think the "culture" of the inner cities has to do with the different rates? I know there is a huge difference between a suburbanite, a country person, and someone growing up in south central la or Detroit.

Multiple people. You still haven't substantiated your claims that I'm racist. I'm waiting.

do you find the word "racist" to be offensive?

you want me to prove to you that you are racist? why?

More wheel spinning. Why don't you back up your claim of racism? What's the matter? This is called reality slick. You want to make an unabashed claim of racism...you better back it up. Anything less is childish. So come on pumpkin. Stop dodging. Tell me. What SPECIFICALLY did I say that was racist? Come on. Don't be afraid.

More wheel spinning. Why don't you back up your claim of racism? What's the matter? This is called reality slick. You want to make an unabashed claim of racism...you better back it up. Anything less is childish. So come on pumpkin. Stop dodging. Tell me. What SPECIFICALLY did I say that was racist? Come on. Don't be afraid.

you also accused me of racism yet i didn't spiral into childishly demanding you prove it. why is that?

Also should I assume that all your questions about BLM have been answered?

you also accused me of racism yet i didn't spiral into childishly demanding you prove it. why is that?

Also should I assume that all your questions about BLM have been answered?

The difference is that I can substantiate my claim:

1 You claimed I am racist predicated on me being a white conservative.

2 You claimed I am racist because I believe that people are NOT limited by their skin color.

3 You claimed I am a racist because I believe that black people do not require special treatment to be successful.

You have implied that you disagree with 2 and 3. And 1 is pretty damn racist too. So unless you can admit that you weren't serious about 1...and that you don't disagree with the ideas of 2-3...and that that idea is NOT inherently bad...then I have no choice but accept that as a substantiated claim.

But you are the one not backing up your claim. I provided you the evidence. All you had to do was ask. Your turn.

Ps

I love how you claimed that demanding proof of a claim is now childish.

The difference is that I can substantiate my claim:

1 You claimed I am racist predicated on me being a white conservative who disagrees with you.

2 You claimed I am racist because I believe that people are NOT limited by their skin color.

3 You claimed I am a racist because I believe that black people do not require special treatment to be successful.
i never said any of that, i didn't even know you where white until you said it, it is interesting that you have all of these prewritten arguments as to why your not racist ready to go at a moments notice. Do you have simiair lists for when someone calls you sexist or this list only for racism

You have implied that you disagree with 2 and 3. And 1 is pretty damn racist too. So unless you can admit that you weren't serious about 1...and that you don't disagree with the ideas of 2-3...and that that idea is NOT inherently bad...then I have no choice but accept that as a substantiated claim.

But you are the one not backing up your claim. I provided you the evidence. All you had to do was ask. Your turn.

Ps

I love how you claimed that demanding proof of a claim is now childish.
sure if it will make you feel better i will admit i am racist as well

i never said any of that, i didn't even know you where white until you said it, it is interesting that you have all of these prewritten arguments as to why your not racist ready to go at a moments notice. Do you have simiair lists for when someone calls you sexist or this list only for racism

sure if it will make you feel better i will admit i am racist as well

You can admit to being racist. That's fine. I'm not a racist.

Back
Top Bottom