• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

To Not Buy American Cars Is To Be UnAmerican???

You are UnAmerican if you don't buy American Cars right now...

• Mostly True

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Somewhat True

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Somewhat False

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Mostly False

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If you are an American Citizen and you don't buy an American car (since American car companies are struggling) is it safe to assume that you're UnAmerican? I say that that is somewhat true. Here's why: Isn't it our duty to help out symbols of American? Isn't it our duty to make sure that fellow Americans keep their jobs (GM laid off like 1,000 people a while ago)? I mean, when you buy a Honda, or a VW, most of that money goes overseas. It doesn't stay here. Like a Honda Civic might be $25,000 on the lot, but it only takes maybe $3,000 to manufacture one; so that means that Honda makes a $22,000 profit, money that goes back to Japan. I'm NOT saying to never buy cars or products from overseas. But let's help out our symbols of American Auto industry. We owe it to them for the 100 years, or so, of service they gave us.

No, you aren't un-American if you buy a foreign car. Protectionist xenophobia cripples economies. Why should I overpay for an American car if I think a Japanese car is better? Answer: I shouldn't.

Globalization is a two-way street. If we expect other countries to purchase goods and services that America produces, we should expect our fellow citizens to purchase goods and services from those countries too. This is certainly a lot better than not buying or selling from any other countries. Autarky simply does not work; it's been a miserable failure everywhere it's been tried.

Kandahar said:
No, you aren't un-American if you buy a foreign car. Protectionist xenophobia cripples economies. Why should I overpay for an American car if I think a Japanese car is better? Answer: I shouldn't.

Globalization is a two-way street. If we expect other countries to purchase goods and services that America produces, we should expect our fellow citizens to purchase goods and services from those countries too. This is certainly a lot better than not buying or selling from any other countries. Autarky simply does not work; it's been a miserable failure everywhere it's been tried.

To see where I'm coming from, I'm just an American car lover. I believe that no one can beat American cars. No offense to Japanese cars or any of that. And I don't mean unamerican in the sense of an insult. though my wording may have been a bit misleading. But I do buy Japanese Electronics, because I believe they make the best tvs, vcrs, etc.

And I don't care if I get 2ft. to a gallon in an American Car. American Cars are just better (IMO), especially muscle cars!

whats funny is if you look at a part from a car that was made in the USA, olny see the part was made elsewhere....:doh

Put together in the USA is the way it should read.....

Donkey1499 said:
If you are an American Citizen and you don't buy an American car (since American car companies are struggling) is it safe to assume that you're UnAmerican? I say that that is somewhat true. Here's why: Isn't it our duty to help out symbols of American? Isn't it our duty to make sure that fellow Americans keep their jobs (GM laid off like 1,000 people a while ago)? I mean, when you buy a Honda, or a VW, most of that money goes overseas. It doesn't stay here. Like a Honda Civic might be $25,000 on the lot, but it only takes maybe $3,000 to manufacture one; so that means that Honda makes a $22,000 profit, money that goes back to Japan. I'm NOT saying to never buy cars or products from overseas. But let's help out our symbols of American Auto industry. We owe it to them for the 100 years, or so, of service they gave us.

Unfortunately 9 out of 10 people who support the Union, who are not Union workers, and talk about the great need for that system to stay in place, buy foreign cars. Hypocrisy? maybe, but the sad fact is they are more expensive, and not as well built as the Japanese autos for instance. This is yet another dying breed in this country, and I suspect that we will only see things get worse. You can just not compete with the wages paid to these foreign workers, well........we could, but the unions won't settle for less then full benefits, and 50 dollars an hour to screw in a bolt!:roll:

cherokee said:
whats funny is if you look at a part from a car that was made in the USA, olny see the part was made elsewhere....:doh

Put together in the USA is the way it should read.....

But the name on the car (Ford, Dodge, Chevy, etc.) is American. People here are forgetting their roots! The profit made on Corvette goes into American Pocketses! Let's take the new Corvette: It's $80,000 on the lot, but it only costs $16,000 for Chevy to manufacture it. So Chevy actually makes $64,000. But most of that goes to workers, unions, and retirees, and even taxes. So Chevy itself probably only gets $10,000 from that $64,000 profit (I'm just making guesses here). So Chevy has to fire people to keep up and not go bankrupt.

Deegan said:
Unfortunately 9 out of 10 people who support the Union, who are not Union workers, and talk about the great need for that system to stay in place, buy foreign cars. Hypocrisy? maybe, but the sad fact is they are more expensive, and not as well built as the Japanese autos for instance. This is yet another dying breed in this country, and I suspect that we will only see things get worse. You can just not compete with the wages paid to these foreign workers, well........we could, but the unions won't settle for less then full benefits, and 50 dollars an hour to screw in a bolt!:roll:

I'd rather pay more for American, than pay less for cheap plastic. Fuel milage doesn't concern me either.

Donkey1499 said:
I'd rather pay more for American, than pay less for cheap plastic. Fuel milage doesn't concern me either.

Our main problem is the sheer number of different vehicles we produce. If they would concentrate on a few models, i.e Honda's accord, or Toyota's Corolla, or V.W's Jetta. They have a new model everytime you turn around, I think the focus should be on the excellence of a few, as they do over seas.

Fuel mileage should concern you, it should concern us all.

Donkey1499 said:

I paid less for an American (Ford), and it's a piece of crap. :mrgreen:

Except on fuel mileage. It's decent to me there. And Deegan's right, you should be more concerned with fuel mileage....not only because of gas prices, but because of, yes, the environment as well.

Donkey1499 said:
To see where I'm coming from, I'm just an American car lover. I believe that no one can beat American cars. No offense to Japanese cars or any of that. And I don't mean unamerican in the sense of an insult. though my wording may have been a bit misleading. But I do buy Japanese Electronics, because I believe they make the best tvs, vcrs, etc.

And I don't care if I get 2ft. to a gallon in an American Car. American Cars are just better (IMO), especially muscle cars!

I admire that in you. I am a Japanese car buyer. My parents have been driving Toyotas since 1984 and they have never had a problem with their cars. They love them. I have a Nissan and a Toyota. The Toyota my mother gave to me. It's a 1995 car, and it is still running smoothly. I love it.

I don't forsee myself ever buying an American car. :3oops:

aps said:
I admire that in you. I am a Japanese car buyer. My parents have been driving Toyotas since 1984 and they have never had a problem with their cars. They love them. I have a Nissan and a Toyota. The Toyota my mother gave to me. It's a 1995 car, and it is still running smoothly. I love it.

I don't forsee myself ever buying an American car. :3oops:

You like Jap, I like Am. But neither of us are right or wrong on which car truly is better. Except that Plymouth Baracouda could waste your 95' Toyota any day! And the Baracouda is an older car!!!! LOL :mrgreen:

Donkey1499 said:
You like Jap, I like Am. But neither of us are right or wrong on which car truly is better. Except that Plymouth Baracouda could waste your 95' Toyota any day! And the Baracouda is an older car!!!! LOL :mrgreen:

Are you challenging my 95 V6 Toyota to a race with your piece of crap American Baracouda?

You're on. ;)

aps said:
Are you challenging my 95 V6 Toyota to a race with your piece of crap American Baracouda?

You're on. ;)

Actually, I don't have a Baracouda, I have a 95' Ford Taurus, which also has a V6, BUT NEVERTHELESS I'll still waste your car in mine!!!! Buwahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Donkey1499 said:

When I think of Ford I think the following

Found
On
Road
Dead

****ed
Over
Rebuilt
Dodge

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

(backwards)
Dead
Ran
On
Foot​

American cars are now partially made overseas. Likewise, foreign cars are partially made here now. "Buying American" has no meaning with cars anymore.

I have owned both, Japanese & American cars. I've also owned a German car. I personally prefer GM products. I have three of them. I will never buy another Ford product. Customer service is the primary reason.

I have issues with UAW workers thinking that $26.00 per hour is reasonable for using a power tool to screw in a bolt or what have ya. Yet the cost of a Japanese car isn’t really any different than it’s American counterpart. Most of these companies have been working together on design and engineering. You probably have noticed that many American cars look just like a Japanese car. That's because so many vehicles today are made as part of a joint venture. My issue with Japanese cars is that if they're paying their labor $14.00 per hour why aren't we seeing it in the price of their autos?

Toyota Camry base price - $19,275
Chevy Malibu base price - $16,990

Toyota 4Runner base price - $27,635
Chevy Trailblazer base price - $24,990

Toyota Tundra base price - $16,995
Chevy Silverado base price - $16,715

http://www.tmsbuyatoyota.com/config...d=3334303838&pth=686F6D6537&&s_van=GM_STN_BYO

http://www.chevrolet.com/

It's criminal what these Japanese companies are charging considering they don't pay their labor as well as American car companies. The sad fact is that so many parts from both Japanese and American auto makers are made by foreign and domestic parts manufacturers. Sometimes on the same line or even side by side. Same materials etc. I used to work in a place that made parts for Nissan, GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, Mazda and Geo. We used the same basic materials for every part. We made engine mounts, strut mounts, etc. Rubber to metal bonded parts. Every part use the same bonding agent and the metal all came from the same supplier. The rubber came from the same supplier as well. Although, the compound may have varied from part to part depending upon what it’s function was going to be. This is becoming more of a reality than a strict Japanese or American made car in the traditional sense.

Anyone really interested in buying American should check this out:
http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
It's criminal what these Japanese companies are charging considering they don't pay their labor as well as American car companies.

Not really. They're still governed by market conditions. They aren't going to just give you a discount below the market price, just because they're saving money on labor. They're in business to make as much money as possible, not to provide charity to their customers.

not that i am over-egging this at all but does this whole buy american stuff say something about american society as a whole. I mean as far as i know this sort of attitude is not so deeply felt in other countries. Here in the UK we are proud of our car -making heritage and we fought quite hard to keep Rover, for instance, going but most people thought that the best way to keep it going was for it to be bought out by a Chinese company. From what i gather here in the UK it is more nostalga rather than actual deeply felt patriotism!

I own a Toyota Tundra Pick up and a Toyota Camray.......I buy a vehicle where I get the most for the buck........

I own a Swedish car, German car, Japanese car and a American SUV. The German car doens't run for now :lol: . Many American cars are built in Canada and Mexico. Many Japanese and German cars are built here in the states. Your "American" car may have been designed by a Brit and built by a Canadian.. how American is it now?

Kandahar said:
Not really. They're still governed by market conditions. They aren't going to just give you a discount below the market price, just because they're saving money on labor. They're in business to make as much money as possible, not to provide charity to their customers.

I certainly don't want "charity" as you put it. But, this may be a contributing factor to the failings of some of the American manufacturers.

On a slightly different note (although similar in the business aspect) is that a lot of folks despise Wal-Mart because they sell cheap. Cheaper than most on just about every product; including groceries. When comparing Wal-Mart's prices to that of Kroger I'm appalled. Wal-Mart & Kroger get their Minutemaid Orange Juice from the same place. Why does Kroger charge almost twice as much? The market? Some claim the market is dictated by Wal-Mart. If that were the case then Kroger would lower their prices; OR, should Wal-Mart raise their's? Wal-Mart likely buys in a larger quantity & that probably creates a savings. A savings that is passed on to their customer. They aren't offering any charity. They make more in the long run from buying & selling in quantity.

Back to auto manufacturers --- The fact is greed. The very thing that American companies have been accused of for years. The difference is that the American company pays it's labor a higher rate as well as their executives. The execs pay & benefits packages are unreal. While Japanese companies have an actual larger profit margin because they charge the same basic price but pay less to their labor as well as execs. That profit does nothing to help the American economy (that money doesn't stay here...they don't sponsor the USA Olympic team...that's left to the failing American companies). In many places (my hometown for one) those Japanese companies are getting huge tax abatements for building new factories & hiring folks at about $10 to $14 per hour. While in the same town an American company that's been there for 30+ years gets no incentive to stay. So then people wonder why those jobs (usually better paying) move away (usually out of the country to cheap foreign labor markets). So now we end up with this vicious cycle of "how do you buy American?" when the Japanese owned stuff is being manufactured here but the American owned stuff is increasingly being manufactured elsewhere.

The only answer I can offer is to do some research & do the best you can. In the end it comes down to personal preference & our own economic situations.

I recently searched for gas companies & the stores that sell it. I now go to Speedway to get my gas. Speedway is an American owned company & they sell Marathon gas which is also American owned (it's headquarters are right here in my hometown). I also buy Cooper Tires when needing replacement tires (American owned & also is headquartered right here in my hometown).

Is this a huge deal? Probably not, but I feel not only am I helping the American economy but more specific my local economy. I have relatives & friends who work for Marathon & Cooper. It only makes sense to support those businesses.

if american auto makers made a good enough car, AND backed it with just as good a warranty, than i would consider buying an American car
It is not my fault the auto industry is losing to foriegn car makers
it is their own fault

I believe in buying American. I believe in supporting the American worker whenever I can, and buying U.S. made products when possible. I don't even shop at Wal Mart.

I have a Saturn Vue, mostly because I needed the extra space to haul PA equipment, and it's the only car I've ever owned that has never had a thing wrong with it.

Those that profess to love and support America, and yet buy foreign makes, are hurting the nation.

To me it's almost the same as saying you're against abortion, but you support these wars in the Middle East. It's hypocritical.

Hoot said:
Those that profess to love and support America, and yet buy foreign makes, are hurting the nation.

Look at the manufacturing chains for various auto companies. What makes a Saturn more "American" than a Honda or BMW?

How is it hurting America to buy a car that you consider to be the best deal for the money? It's not my fault that American auto manufacturers can't compete with Japanese auto manufacturers. It's their own fault for not innovating while relying on the government to protect them.

Since we're supposedly hurting America by buying non-American cars, would you agree that Japanese consumers are hurting Japan by buying non-Japanese cars and German consumers are hurting Germany by buying non-German cars? If so, you're suggesting we revert to autarky...the official ideology of North Korea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom