• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

To Mars in three hours

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
AN EXTRAORDINARY "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

The US air force has expressed an interest in the idea and scientists working for the American Department of Energy - which has a device known as the Z Machine that could generate the kind of magnetic fields required to drive the engine - say they may carry out a test if the theory withstands further scrutiny.

However, Prof Hauser, a physicist at the Applied Sciences University in Salzgitter, Germany, and a former chief of aerodynamics at the European Space Agency, cautioned it was based on a highly controversial theory that would require a significant change in the current understanding of the laws of physics.

"It would be amazing. I have been working on propulsion systems for quite a while and it would be the most amazing thing. The benefits would be almost unlimited," he said.

"But this thing is not around the corner; we first have to prove the basic science is correct and there are quite a few physicists who have a different opinion.

"It's our job to prove we are right and we are working on that."

He said the engine would enable spaceships to travel to different solar systems. "If the theory is correct then this is not science fiction, it is science fact," Prof Hauser said.

"NASA have contacted me and next week I'm going to see someone from the [US] air force to talk about it further, but it is at a very early stage. I think the best-case scenario would be within the next five years [to build a test device] if the technology works."

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=16902006

It certainly would be nice to see this become a reality. As usual i'm surprised more private companies haven't taken interest in such endeavors.

Engimo said:
I'm not surprised, the whole thing is a load of horse ****.
So was sailing around the world and landing on the moon.

Engimo said:
I'm not surprised, the whole thing is a load of horse ****.

Oh, well I'm convinced. :lol:

Seriously, why is that Mr. Physicist? In lay-man terms please.

scottyz said:
So was sailing around the world and landing on the moon.

No, except this guy is considered a bit of a nut and his theories are not accepted by anyone in the physics community. This article doesn't even make any sense - "travelling to other dimensions where the speed of light is faster" is a total misuse of what any physicist is talking about when they refer to "extra dimensions". Also, the idea of using electromagnetic fields to generate gravitational fields is nonsense.

The only way of moving faster than light that is consistent with General Relativity is through the use of an Alcubierre Drive, but that is currently impossible as we have no mechanism for generating the necessary spacetime curvature.

Engimo said:
The only way of moving faster than light that is consistent with General Relativity is through the use of an Alcubierre Drive, but that is currently impossible as we have no mechanism for generating the necessary spacetime curvature.
LSD?.......:2wave:

cnredd said:
LSD?.......:2wave:

"Tripping balls" is not a reliable method for travelling faster than the speed of light, cnredd. Though, Richard Feynman experimented with LSD, maybe he was on to something.

Is it possible to get from Point A to Point B faster than the speed of light? Perhaps. Hopefully we'll know the answer to this question within the next decade or two. But any practical applications of this are much, much farther in the future...even if this theoretical machine could be shown to work, I'd still be against investing large sums of money in it.

Being discussed in New Scientist is hardly equitable with being published in Physical Review - Catagory D (Particles, Fields, Gravitation, Cosmology).

Tashah said:
Being discussed in New Scientist is hardly equitable with being published in Physical Review - Catagory D (Particles, Fields, Gravatation, Cosmology).

You're more of a physicist than I, Tashah. Explain the nonsense in the article, please. <3

Kelzie said:
Oh, well I'm convinced. :lol:

Seriously, why is that Mr. Physicist? In lay-man terms please.

Because a neutron star, which condenses the remaining mass of a large star down to something the size of Manhattan, also compresses that star's magnetic field to millions of times it's original intensity, far far greater than anything we'd be able to generate outside of science fiction, and those stars seem to be really stationary things, or at least as stationary as stars usually are.

Besides, I would expect that even if we could generate magnetic fields that strong, they'd be deadly anyway.

Engimo said:
You're more of a physicist than I, Tashah. Explain the nonsense in the article, please. <3
I suspect that she could, but most of us would not understand it, so why bother?
Also, this is not the kind of topic that lends itself to "lay-mans" terms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom