• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To know trivial details in history is one thing but to understand..

James972

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here's what Jefferson said:

"History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is."

"My reading of history convinces me that bad government results from too much government."

Jefferson studied history to learn the principles on which a good govt should be based or, in other words, whether he should be a liberal or conservative. Why don't most people try to learn from history what Jefferson tried to learn???

Here's what Jefferson said:

"History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is."

"My reading of history convinces me that bad government results from too much government."

Jefferson studied history to learn the principles on which a good govt should be based or, in other words, whether he should be a liberal or conservative. Why don't most people try to learn from history what Jefferson tried to learn???

You HAVE to be doing this intentionally, since Jefferson never said the second comment. John Sharp Williams said it in a speech about Jefferson. Poe's law strikes again I guess.

You HAVE to be doing this intentionally, since Jefferson never said the second comment. John Sharp Williams said it in a speech about Jefferson. Poe's law strikes again I guess.

so??? why debate about that when either way it reflects Jefferson's thinking?? The subject is the proper way to approach and learn from history. Do you understand??

Jefferson studied history to learn . . . whether he should be a liberal or conservative.

Too bad for him he chose to be a liberal.

Back
Top Bottom