• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio

With the growing concern over the effects of competition in youth sports programs this summer, many Canadian soccer associations eliminated the concept of keeping score. The Soccer Association of Midlake, Ontario, however, has taken this idea one step further, and have completely removed the ball from all youth soccer games and practices.
According to Association spokesperson, Helen Dabney-Coyle, "By removing the ball, it's absolutely impossible to say 'this team won' and 'this team lost' or 'this child is better at soccer than that child.'"

"We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are."

Really? Really? There is nothing wrong with healthy competition. It makes people better. What's wrong with people?

Re: To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from socc

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio

Really? Really? There is nothing wrong with healthy competition. It makes people better. What's wrong with people?

I agree. Competition can be healthy and force people to improve. It's also a fact of life. We compete for everything from jobs to mates. Better to get used to it early.

Re: To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from socc

It looks like that is a satirical program. Still though, I do think a certain amount of competition is healthy and that people are trying to do too much to steer children away from it.

There's nothing wrong with HEALTHY competition. The problem is we have too many Lombardi wanna-bes in pee wee level athletics who don't teach kids what really matters.

Sports at the school age levels should not be about winning and losing. It's a means to an end, but should never be the end.

There's nothing wrong with HEALTHY competition. The problem is we have too many Lombardi wanna-bes in pee wee level athletics who don't teach kids what really matters.

Sports at the school age levels should not be about winning and losing. It's a means to an end, but should never be the end.

Life is about winning and losing, and that's what should be taught in school...

Depends upon the age level. However, it's just plain foolish to have imaginary sports in school at all. If you're not going to teach them the game (knowledge they can use later in life), and winning and losing is part of the game, then don't waste valuable learning time with this sort of nonsense.

Surely this is from The Onion or something.... that can't possibly be right! HOW is it even soccer if there is no freaking ball!!??

:damn

Insanity. I mean what do they do, just run around purposelessly for half an hour???

Surely this is from The Onion or something.... that can't possibly be right! HOW is it even soccer if there is no freaking ball!!??

Insanity. I mean what do they do, just run around purposelessly for half an hour???

Apparently This and That is a satirical program.

It's not ONN. I checked the site and it had real news like
Harper offers Obama climate plan to win Keystone approval - Politics - CBC News

Obama and Putin no closer on Syria intervention - World - CBC News

So I guess it's pretty valid. I tried to find an alternative source for the info but I don't speak moose so I stopped trying :p

Funny. I like the audio clip of what a corner kick sounds like...lol. But more seriously, how are you going to teach your child not to be a sore loser, or a braggart when they win, if you don't' keep score? Kids are programmed genetically in my limited experience, to HAVE to win and HATE to lose. You play games to let them express this, and try to coach them out of it. Although I think you can only really coach it when they get older, my kid still freaks out if she loses maybe 25% of the time. Just goes crazy. I didn't teach her that. Other kids didn't teach her that. It's a survival instinct. She didn't learn it because her school soccer game kept score, sheesh.

It's not ONN. I checked the site and it had real news like
Harper offers Obama climate plan to win Keystone approval - Politics - CBC News

Obama and Putin no closer on Syria intervention - World - CBC News

So I guess it's pretty valid. I tried to find an alternative source for the info but I don't speak moose so I stopped trying :p

It looks like the program "This and That" which this was under is a satirical program run by CBC though.

It would make more sense to remove the goals...

It looks like the program "This and That" which this was under is a satirical program run by CBC though.

Oh well, damn canadians and their press. But just because it's a satirical program doesn't mean it's made up. You can make satire out of real life events too.

Life is about winning and losing
No it's not. The best moments in life have nothing to do with winning and losing. They do, however, have much to do with cooperation, teamwork, learning, working together to achieve a desired outcome, etc.
Depends upon the age level.
High school sports and below should be about far more than wins and losses.

Oh well, damn canadians and their press. But just because it's a satirical program doesn't mean it's made up. You can make satire out of real life events too.

No it is another headline they have was New Wind Found. They don't make an attempt to base it on current events unlike The Onion.

Obvious satire. I can't believe anyone would be gullible enough to take this article (and especially the audio clip) seriously.

Funny. I like the audio clip of what a corner kick sounds like...lol. But more seriously, how are you going to teach your child not to be a sore loser, or a braggart when they win, if you don't' keep score? Kids are programmed genetically in my limited experience, to HAVE to win and HATE to lose. You play games to let them express this, and try to coach them out of it. Although I think you can only really coach it when they get older, my kid still freaks out if she loses maybe 25% of the time. Just goes crazy. I didn't teach her that. Other kids didn't teach her that. It's a survival instinct. She didn't learn it because her school soccer game kept score, sheesh.

Good afternoon, Mach. :2wave:

:agree: Every child playing any sport knows darn well who won or lost, even if the adults don't want to face that fact! More importantly, though, will every kid still get their trophy and a juice box? :mrgreen:

No it's not. The best moments in life have nothing to do with winning and losing. They do, however, have much to do with cooperation, teamwork, learning, working together to achieve a desired outcome, etc.

Heh, that's what losers say. Kinda like the guy who says size doesn't matter. :mrgreen:

Life, from out of the gate is competition. These weak pathetic fools don't know what they're doing.

Heh, that's what losers say. Kinda like the guy who says size doesn't matter. :mrgreen:
:)

I know you're cracking a joke, but I don't find it funny (though you did nothing wrong). I don't find it funny because there are too many people in the world who legitimately believe what you just said, who simply don't have a clue. These people ruin children and their desire for sport and competition. They fail children in so many ways.
Life, from out of the gate is competition.
Only to people who want it to be. For those of us who know how to appreciate and enjoy life for what it is, it's not a competition at all.

Since you're posting, I'll assume you have won a bit in life, but teaching that everyone is equal and that by working hard you can get ahead of the competition should not be a foreign concept to anyone in this country

Since you're posting, I'll assume you have won a bit in life
I feel I've done very well in life thus far.

but teaching that everyone is equal
Everyone is not equal. I do not agree we should teach everyone is equal. I'm not equal to LeBron James in basketball, never will be and never had the potential to be. I'm not equal to Albert Einstein in intelligence, never will be.

The point is not to teach everyone is equal, but rather everyone has their own unique qualities which can contribute to the overall good of the whole. It's to understand that if each person performs their role to the best of their abilities, no one has anything to be ashamed of and the group as a whole will achieve their maximum level of success.

I'm sure you can see how that would translate well into sports.

and that by working hard you can get ahead of the competition should not be a foreign concept to anyone in this country
But what if the other person works hard too? Are you a loser now because you work just as hard as the next guy?

Back
Top Bottom