• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California - latimes.com

"Same-sex marriages in California resumed Friday when a federal appeals court lifted a hold on a 2010 injunction, sparking jubilation among gays and cries of lawlessness from the supporters of Proposition 8.

In a surprise action, a federal appeals court cleared the way, bypassing a normal waiting period and lifting a hold on a trial judge’s order that declared Proposition 8 unconstitutional."

Prop H8 is dead!!!! Let Freedom ring!

Yes, I'm very pleased to see that Prop 8 is finally dead, since it only passed in the first place because of scare tactics and outright lies told by the proponents during the election.

I'm happy that finally in California homosexual couples who wish to marry will be treated equally.

This has been blowing up on my FB account. Lots of friends of mine are now in a much better legal position vis-a-vis their relationships than they were a few days ago. Good on them. On the other hand, now I'm probably going to have to do some wedding present shopping, and that just sucks.

When I heard this I thought WOW.....we were told it would be a month at the earliest. I'm glad that the Court decided that even more than a couple days is too long to wait to let H8 and discrimination continue.

Yes, I'm very pleased to see that Prop 8 is finally dead, since it only passed in the first place because of scare tactics and outright lies told by the proponents during the election.

I'm happy that finally in California homosexual couples who wish to marry will be treated equally.

Absolutely....the Mormon church should be ashamed of themselves for the lies and deceit that they propagandized during the prop H8 campaign. Hopefully they recognized that lying in the name of God is still lying...but I doubt it.

So much for the the voice of the people.

So much for the the voice of the people.

Yeah. It's awful how having a constitution gets in the way of tyrannical populist movements to codify injustice in our legal system. That's probably why the founding fathers didn't want to have a constitution in the first place. No, wait a second...

Yeah. It's awful how having a constitution gets in the way of tyrannical populist movements to codify injustice in our legal system. That's probably why the founding fathers didn't want to have a constitution in the first place. No, wait a second...

yeah, but the voice of the people is supreme with the Libbos...until they don't like the voice of the people.

I'm all for gays getting married, but the way the Libbos went about this is really ****ty.

yeah, but the voice of the people is supreme with the Libbos...until they don't like the voice of the people.

I'm all for gays getting married, but the way the Libbos went about this is really ****ty.

Right. Much like how conservatives just accept gun control laws and don't attempt to fight them via the court system. :roll:

Absolutely....the Mormon church should be ashamed of themselves for the lies and deceit that they propagandized during the prop H8 campaign. Hopefully they recognized that lying in the name of God is still lying...but I doubt it.

what lies did the church tell again?

Using every legal avenue available to gain rights and equality is a "really ****ty" way to go about it?

The "libbos" or rather same sex marriage supporters (because like it or not, we're not all liberals) didn't ask for a vote to be taken in California in the first place.

what lies did the church tell again?

The entire campaign was based on lies and deceit. Starting with "Churches will be forced to perform gay weddings", they also ran ads claiming that school children would be forced to attend gay weddings". The entire campaign was based on outright lies. Maybe you had to be in California to know what went on.

Using every legal avenue available to gain rights and equality is a "really ****ty" way to go about it?

The "libbos" or rather same sex marriage supporters (because like it or not, we're not all liberals) didn't ask for a vote to be taken in California in the first place.

Because of the simple fact that Constitutional rights should NEVER be put to a popular vote. Its irrelevant though....an overwhelming majority of Californians favor marriage equality in any event.

Unfortunately....the history of the United States is full of examples where people have had to fight tooth and nail and pursue every legal avenue to ensure that their Constitutional rights guaranteed under the USSC are in force.

America doesn't always get it right the first times around....but eventually America comes around.

To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California - latimes.com

"Same-sex marriages in California resumed Friday when a federal appeals court lifted a hold on a 2010 injunction, sparking jubilation among gays and cries of lawlessness from the supporters of Proposition 8.

In a surprise action, a federal appeals court cleared the way, bypassing a normal waiting period and lifting a hold on a trial judge’s order that declared Proposition 8 unconstitutional."

Prop H8 is dead!!!! Let Freedom ring!
Welcome to the 50% divorce rate. Enjoy your alimony.

The entire campaign was based on lies and deceit. Starting with "Churches will be forced to perform gay weddings", they also ran ads claiming that school children would be forced to attend gay weddings". The entire campaign was based on outright lies. Maybe you had to be in California to know what went on.

the church didn't run any ads.... the church provided ancillary in-kind funding.

the organization that ran the ads was Yes on Prop8 campaign, not the LDS.

facts are important to get correct when decrying lies and deceit

Ah we should crawl to our betters and say please massa can we please have equal rights? Not. we are going to demand equality and take it.

the church didn't run any ads.... the church provided ancillary in-kind funding.

the organization that ran the ads was Yes on Prop8 campaign, not the LDS.

facts are important to get correct when decrying lies and deceit

If you knew anything about the Yes on H8 campaign...it was funded in large part by the Mormon church....so you are absolutely dead wrong.

My facts are correct, sorry Charlie. The Mormon church should be ashamed of themselves.

Welcome to the 50% divorce rate. Enjoy your alimony.

I don't think anyone is claiming that gay marriages will be superior to straight ones. I suspect that gay marriages will have the same troubles that straight marriages have.

Constitution of the United States = The Will of the People. A 51% majority vote in one state is not the will of the people. It is the document that serves as the supreme law of our land that is the will of the people.

Sortof like conservatives are all about individual liberty except when they want to infringe on someone else's individual liberty. Then the will of the people is supreme, and **** rights. **** the constitution.

Constitution of the United States = The Will of the People. A 51% majority vote in one state is not the will of the people. It is the document that serves as the supreme law of our land that is the will of the people.

actually where is no "will of the people" on a national level.

if the will of the people were ever unleashed, and it may in the future, because the constitution is not being followed your going to see more people denied their rights, and some people given more rights.

Kinda like how the conservotards are all about judicial activism ... until the courts hand down a decision they like.

actually where is no "will of the people" on a national level.

if the will of the people were ever unleashed, and it may in the future, because the constitution is not being followed your going to see more people denied their rights, and some people given more rights.

Rule of the People? That is a scary proposition. America would look like Egypt.

As I understood the Constitution, one of its core principles was to protect against the tyranny of majority.

Not only that, but I'm not too keen on the idea that equal treatment and human rights are subject to the will of the people.

As I understood the Constitution, one of its core principles was to protect against the tyranny of majority.

Not only that, but I'm not too keen on the idea that equal treatment and human rights are subject to the will of the people.

"We the People of the United States, in order to perform a more perfect union..."

Back
Top Bottom